IGNORED

Bungee mishap

AnotherLee

Was tying down a jug of water to the luggage carrier of my '03 R1150RT when the far end of the bungee slipped and hit me in the head very near my eye. Fortunately I had my helmet on at the time. Needless to say it scared me. Was probably stretching the cord too much. Also had not secured the hook well enough before stretching.

Are some bungee brands better than others?

Anyone else had a bungee accident?

Lee

Forget bungess.

Use cargo nets and straps.

Straps can be stretchable like a Rokstrap or solid like Helen 2 Wheels/Serostitch.

Bungees have had too many failures to rely upon.

A long, long time ago I read that the number one cause of eye injuries on a motorcycle was from bungee cords. I'd figured it would be gravel kicking up and breaking aviator sunglasses with open face helmets.

-----

Anyone else had a bungee accident?

Lee

Yep, I had an accident with one. Back in the day I was riding a new 1970 Honda CB350 through the twisties in the hills above Oakland ca.

A bungee came loose that was attached to the rear fender. It dropped down into the spokes, locked the rear wheel and sent me sliding in a 35 mph shower of dust and sparks.

Luckily I survived with abrasions in those pre-helmet times.

CoarsegoldKid

A bungee came loose that was attached to the rear fender. It dropped down into the spokes, locked the rear wheel and sent me sliding in a 35 mph shower of dust and sparks.

I would have thought the rubber would have broken.

Anyway I know someone that tied a small duffel bag on the seat with string or small rope instead of a bungee. The system didn't work as he intended. Duffel lodged in rear wheel somehow. After a 100 feet or so of a dark black tire rubber skid he came to a halt rubber side down. It could have been a lot worse. After that he received the nickname of Skid.

Bungee cords are very bad mojo. Of all the things that Mom warned would take your eye out, this one is true.

A good, inexpensive option that I use is nylon climber's flat tubing. (I think that's what it's called) It's about 1" across and you can get nylon buckles to match at REI or EMS. Cheap and safe.

Shiny Side Up
Bungee cords are very bad mojo. Of all the things that Mom warned would take your eye out, this one is true.

A good, inexpensive option that I use is nylon climber's flat tubing. (I think that's what it's called) It's about 1" across and you can get nylon buckles to match at REI or EMS. Cheap and safe.

I hear it called mule rope.. Good stuff andf strong!

Thanks to all who have replied. Much appreciated.

A pair of Rok straps are on the way.

Bungees off the bike for good!

-Lee

Interesting thread. It never occured to me that bungee cords were so universally distrusted. I've only used them as a last resort. Years ago, I tied my car hood down with one, you can guess the rest. I've never trusted them since.

A friend of mine rode to Alaska this summer, camping and staying in motels. Months before he left, we sat down and made up a list of stuff he should probably bring. I turned him on to Rokstraps which he had never heard of and which he initially did not see the need for, having always used bungees. The trip was great and he wound up not using a bunch of the stuff he took, like his Gerbing gear. The Rokstraps, he said, were absolutely indispensable.

Archived