IGNORED

inner tube patch with stem?

johnlt

Does anyone make a large innertube patch that includes the stem. I just tore the stem off of an expensive ultra thick tube (no rim lock) and was wondering if I have a patch alternative.

Does anyone make a large innertube patch that includes the stem. I just tore the stem off of an expensive ultra thick tube (no rim lock) and was wondering if I have a patch alternative.

I'd like to find one for my Road (bicycle)rear.

I kept having tube failures at the filler.

My solution has been to cut a hole in a patch & install it over the filler tube before installation of new tubes.

Even if I could find a repair patch, not sure I would trust it with 130PSI & finger-less gloves :P

I agree Eric on a bicycle but on a low-pressure dirt bike (motor), I'd be willing to chance it if the bonding surface area were large enough.

I've never heard of such product, doesn't mean it wouldn't exist.

But how about this for a "home brew" idea. Do you have any old tubes laying around with pinch holes on it?

If you do, could you cleanly cut the stem completely off the heavy-duty tube you're trying to salvage. Then cut a large area of the "donor tube" with stem included and rubber cement that onto the HD tube? It could work? Maybe....

If the HD tube was REALLY expensive, you might even ride to the town an buy a new cheap ass tube and use it as a stem donor.

--

Mikko

And then you can use a hillbilly repaired inner tube on your bike and maybe become and organ donor!

ne_nau.gif

When did repaired tubes become "hillbilly"?

Oh well. I guess anything for the "peace if mind".

Found these here (they offer several others so check for more selection).

737770_300.jpg .

Thanks Eric, that's exactly what I was looking for but not sure I'm willing but buy 5 for $31. Kind of defeats the purpose but I do believe it would do the job nicely if a good bond can be achieved.

Morning John

I think all of us off-road riders have done that a time or two in our life's.

Now I either run rim locks or add a couple of rubber washers between the inner tube & the rim at the valve stem area then leave the valve stem outer nuts off the valve stem. (this doesn't keep the tire from slipping on the rim but it usually keeps the migrating tire from pulling the valve stem off the inner tube)

In any case if you shop around on the Internet you can probably find another heavy duty inner tube for not much more than any of the IFFY inner tube valve stem repair pieces.

Just keep in mind that any repair you make to a inner tube of that magnitude (entire valve stem pulled off) could lead to a VERY SUDDEN & catastrophic tube failure while riding down the road. (basically if that repair fails you won't have a slow leak but a sudden LARGE blow out).

not sure I'm willing but buy 5 for $31. Kind of defeats the purpose

Yeah thats why I suggested to check out the others.

These are cheep enough to try but may not be robust enough to do the job.

that's better. I just ordered a couple. I'll give them a try. The Michelin Ultra is a $35 so a $3 fix would be worth it. Still with the tire changing effort (do it myself) it is questionable.

not sure I'm willing but buy 5 for $31. Kind of defeats the purpose

Yeah thats why I suggested to check out the others.

These are cheep enough to try but may not be robust enough to do the job.

That's actually a great deal, 75¢ each, and free shipping.

Curious, what did the original tube cost?

I'd like to apologize for my first reply to this topic. I now realize the ridicule was not called for, and was rude. I'm sorry.

What I was thinking, and what I should have said, was that I don't think it's a good idea to ride around on a tube that's repaired that has had such a dramatic structural failure, as ripping off the valve stem. But, I guess there are cases where that's O.K., namely, where tube blowouts won't lead to life-threatening accidents. Maybe trial or other dirt bike uses? I don't know.

Cheers,

jv

I just ordered a couple.

Hmmmm that would be a total of ten.

These things come in a 5 pack.

Nope, they sell for $3+ each. I ordered two for $7+ with free shipping

I just ordered a couple.

Hmmmm that would be a total of ten.

These things come in a 5 pack.

Nope, they sell for $3+ each. I ordered two for $7+ with free shipping

I think it's a 5-pack, unless "PK5" means something else:

Tire Valve, Tube, Ind, 2.25 In, PK5

Model: 21100-5

SKU: 1361913

DESCRIPTION

Tire Valves and Accessories

Tire Valve, Tube, Industrial, Dia 2.25 In, Color Black/Blue, Material Rubber, Used For Tires/Wheel, Package Quantity 5

Their live chat is not working but you could leave a message or perhaps call 1st thing in the AM & try to clear this up.

If you do receive 10 of them, you could open up a tube repair biz.

Archived