IGNORED

Ohlins Rebuild in North East US

Dinne

I finally scored a set of used Ohlins for my 96 RT. Anyone have a recommendation for a place to have them rebuilt and set up to my weight? I am in eastern MA and would like to find someone fairly close.

I just had Ohlins do mine. Totally happy. Nice people. Not that expensive. I almost had a local guy do mine but after some consideration I figured who knows better than Ohlins? I told them an old fat guy with a back back. Fix it for me. So I have a rebuilt set of good shocks set up for me for half the price of new.

Can't recommend any shop here in the NE. I sent my Olins back to Olins twice so far, first time I was happy, second time they came back the remote pre-load adjuster on the rear lost it's clicks. Called them--oh it's ok. I have since learned that is a failure sign of the adjuster. Not cheap about $300 a wack for rebuilds every 20k, about one season and a half.

Can't recommend any shop here in the NE. I sent my Olins back to Olins twice so far, first time I was happy, second time they came back the remote pre-load adjuster on the rear lost it's clicks. Called them--oh it's ok. I have since learned that is a failure sign of the adjuster. Not cheap about $300 a wack for rebuilds every 20k, about one season and a half.

1) Preload adjuster does not have clicks--you are thinking about the rebound damping which, if it loses its clicks, it denotes a failure.

2) $300 for new shocks every 20K miles--thats REAL cheap, compared to replacing the OEM's every 10K when they go south.

Could be on the 602; my '07 RT uses the 504 and no clicks. Did not notice the other guy also had an 1100--my bad. As for the cost, I still don't know how you could do any better. Replacement oem shocks are in the thousand$ . $300 for 20K miles, per mile, is .015/mile, compared to tires which cost approx. .025/mile.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the price per mile for all shocks is about the same, ignoring the acquisition cost, including the right srping for your weight, and the first use. My OEM Showas were good up to about 20 or 25k miles. My new Ohlins will probably go 20 or 25k before they need a rebuild. And, that rebuild would be pretty close to what it would cost to rebuild the OEM shocks (using Linderman Engineering as the basis for the OEM rebuild). So, yes, bobbybo, something like 1¢ per mile for good shocks ($250/25,000mi), once you absorb the initial cost.

Archived