IGNORED

Contour Roam 1080 HD camcorder

Rougarou

For those that have been wanting one, Amazon has the them for $89 + free shipping after applying coupon code 89ROAM89.

I just ordered one. Contour Roam The price says $179, but you add it to cart, go to checkout and apply the coupon code, the price will drop to $89.

Goodness - Don't tell my wife! She bought one for my B-Day, and we have been using it all day on the lake today - staying up late doing some editing.

For those Mac users who are interested in the Roam, know that you need iMovie '11 to import and edit files - I got nowhere with '09 and had to upgrade. The Roam comes with it's own import software called Story Teller, but no editing capability.

Its a nice unit, but not without its nits.

PhilipJCaputo

that is a great deal... I have the contour+, but having the ability to just slide the switch forward for recording and the waterproof capability would be really nice.

Perhaps I should jump on this deal and sell my +... Hmmm.... is the GPS of the plus really worth it....

It must have been a short term thing because it shows up as $162.38 when I add it to my cart.

You're too late :( Mine has shipped and should be here tomorrow $89 and free shipping :)

It must have been a short term thing because it shows up as $162.38 when I add it to my cart.

I just ordered one, and got it for $89. You have to apply the promotional code mentioned in the first post, in the box that appears when you proceed to checkout.

And thanks, OP for the tip!

I tried to buy another, but the promo code's only good for one use.

Ordered mine and received today. Very quick turn around.

Charging it as I type this.

(BTW, had to go online to open the d@mn thing up :dopeslap:)

Oh, that's how you open the back door...

Yep, it was a quick turn around. Ordered mine on Saturday, got it on Tuesday. Still haven't bought a microSD card yet, but soon, then I'll look for a good mounting spot. I was think the back case that way it gets the full shot of the bike and rider. I'm also going to order some additional mounts for other locations.

PS, had to check the site on how to open the back door too :/

I'd suggest mounting it on the left side of your helmet for a nice POV for moto movies. Your body provides an excellent shock absorber, and the wide angle picks up a ton of the near-field view. Plus, you will want the flexibility to turn it on and off for various clips depending on the scenery, and it would be a snap to do if it were at your temple of your non-throttle hand. The viewer of the movie will feel more connected to your perspective as well, and will have a view of your riding finesse as you work the controls.

NewEgg beat Best Buy by a mile in price and variety for a microSD card. Pay attention to the class of the card - the Roam can accept up to a class 10, but not all class 10's really perform that way.

I'd suggest mounting it on the left side of your helmet for a nice POV for moto movies. Your body provides an excellent shock absorber, and the wide angle picks up a ton of the near-field view. Plus, you will want the flexibility to turn it on and off for various clips depending on the scenery, and it would be a snap to do if it were at your temple of your non-throttle hand. The viewer of the movie will feel more connected to your perspective as well, and will have a view of your riding finesse as you work the controls.

NewEgg beat Best Buy by a mile in price and variety for a microSD card. Pay attention to the class of the card - the Roam can accept up to a class 10, but not all class 10's really perform that way.

The Roam comes with two profile mounts and a flat surface mount. One of the profile mounts will go on the left side of the helmet, I was just weighing in on the bike mount option locations.

I have a Delkin Camera mount that I can put on the rear case to get an idea if I want to permanently mount the camera at that location. What is good about the Delkin mount is it allows me to test the locations prior to afixing the flat surface mount and the Delkin mount is rated at 2lbs, way more than is needed.

Nice mount - I was amazed at how light the Roam is. Another thing - the volume is one of the nits. You need to update the software to improve the sound, and then crank it all the way up with the software to make it useful. Some believe the waterproofing film over the mic is the culprit. Handling the camera body transmits sounds unfavorably, which causes the software to cut the dbs for a few seconds.

PhilipJCaputo

I suggest mounting on the right side of the helmet. The reason is that most of those new fancy bluetooth headsets seem to all mount on the left side.

I've been running for the last 3 months with the Contour+ on my helmet. I only have it secured in place with the 3M sticky foam pad thing that came with my Contour+. At one point in the last 3 months, I changed helmets and pulled the mount off of the helmet. It hurt my fingers break the 3M adhesive free from the helmet.

Additionally, the part of the helmet that I mounted the camera to isn't totally flat, there is a little bit of a curve to the mount area. Needless to say, I am VERY confident that the mount will not come free.

But just to be safe, I took the quick-release lanyard and have one end on the camera, the other end is inside my helmet looped around part of the cheek pad. Just in case the mount does break free, the camera will still be attached to my helmet.

I bought two, one using my wife's Amazon account, so I got both at that great price.

Also bought the two 16GB microSDHC cards from Amazon, beat everyone's price (including Newegg).

I also had a very frustrating experience figuring out how to open the back. Wow! They should really put that in the quick start guide and user manual.

I found the reviews on Amazon very useful, and it was the active participation of Contour Vp of Operations Keith Clements. He has provided excellent customer support, swapping out cameras, answering questions, etc. That's what convinced me to buy.

Yea, it's not perfect, but for a sub-$100 waterproof HD helmet cam, with a brutally simple user interface, it can't be beat.

Nice mount - I was amazed at how light the Roam is. Another thing - the volume is one of the nits. You need to update the software to improve the sound, and then crank it all the way up with the software to make it useful. Some believe the waterproofing film over the mic is the culprit. Handling the camera body transmits sounds unfavorably, which causes the software to cut the dbs for a few seconds.

I'll most likely dub over some music to the video's that I do as I don't want to hear all the wind noise.

Here is a video that my wife shot with the Flip camera that we have. We were on our way to US 421 The Snake to buy a sticker. It's a short clip and nothing fancy.

and then crank it all the way up with the software to make it useful. .

I found the sound to be weak as well but I don't understand what you mean by "cranking it all the way up with the software". Are you talking about the volume slide bar int he story teller software or is there some other volume control setting I am not aware of?

and then crank it all the way up with the software to make it useful. .

I found the sound to be weak as well but I don't understand what you mean by "cranking it all the way up with the software". Are you talking about the volume slide bar int he story teller software or is there some other volume control setting I am not aware of?

In the storyteller program, click tools, then click configure camera and you can adjust the volume sensitivity.

I, four, had a hard time opening the back and had to look it up! I'm surprised this isn't mentioned _anywhere_ in the manuals! It's a FAQ on the contour website, so hopefully they'll add it to the next round of printed manuals. Kinda hard to "quick start" if you can't figure out how to put in the microsd card.

That said, I'm impressed by the quality! Have it mounted on the right of my helmet as the Sena goes on the left.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Ram mega mondo suction cup mounts for other mounting options on the motor. There's a guy from Reno on the FJr forum that has a GoPro on one of those that he can move around. Never has any suction problems.

Any other comments/ideas?

• 1 month later...

Okay, I got went out and bought some mounts...

Suction Cup

Headband

360 Helmet Cam

Took to the Gasparilla Invasion and filmed some clips.

I need to tie them together and edit them.

Preference

Easy to Use

Free

What are people using to do this? Running Vista 32

Thanks.

Yep, I've used Windows movie maker to piece together clips. You can even throw transitions in there or individual title shots between the clips.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Ram mega mondo suction cup mounts for other mounting options on the motor. There's a guy from Reno on the FJr forum that has a GoPro on one of those that he can move around. Never has any suction problems.

I use the Ram suction cup mount on the tank on my R1200R. There are several examples on my blog. Also all of those were made with Vista and Window's Movie Maker. It works fine for short movies. (I tried to use it for my daughter's hour long wedding video and encountering massive problems. You get what you pay for).

I use the Ram suction cup mount on the tank on my R1200R. There are several examples on my blog. Also all of those were made with Vista and Window's Movie Maker. It works fine for short movies. (I tried to use it for my daughter's hour long wedding video and encountering massive problems. You get what you pay for).

I've got a 52 minute ride that I did and used movie maker with no issues. I didn't try to edit it too much, probably should have because it is a boring ride, but I was playing with my new toy ;)

I must be doing something wrong.

When I tried using Movie Maker, it would take a pic from my video (I have about 15 files of frames from 30 sec to 4 minutes) and make a slide show.

I was trying to do all my clips at once, so that might of been the problem. :dopeslap:

I tried downloading some other "free" programs and had problems with them working and/or not loading at all because of lack of virtual memory. (Running a Duo-Core Vista Laptop with 3Gigs of Ram)

Thought have to use my brother's Macs :P

Are you running Windows Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker? I made a mistake and just called it Windows Movie Maker when I am in fact running Windows Live Movie Maker. I don't know if there's much difference between the two.

I'm running a cheap HP single core processor with only 2gb's of RAM and id doesn't have any issues processing the clips. All you have to do is open the movie maker, drag the clips into the open space and start moving them around and editing them.

Well, I got things to finally work (I was importing the thumbnails instead of the files :dopeslap:)

Worked with the program and edited my movie to a reasonable amount (almost 28 minutes :P ) .

Went to publish it and all I get is the sound and no movie :mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

Will try again.

I find that it works best to integrate video clips and still shots. Just to illustrate, here is a snippet of the wedding video I made for my daughter using Movie Make Live.

Archived