IGNORED

Massachusetts specific: titling and registering a bike w/o a history

jviss

I'm considering buying an old Honda, but the owner doesn't have a registration or title for it. Does anyone know if it's possible to title a bike like this in Massachusetts? I imagine it's not easy, I'm wondering if it's at all possible.

Thanks,

jv

Yea, thanks, I've scoured that site, and, in fact, my wife is a MA insurance agent who deals with the registry, and they don't cover the case of a missing reg. on their site. They assume you have some kind documentation of chain of custody.

The owner (current) needs to fight that battle.

If they can't replace title (fairly simple down here) with a lost title process then your chances are even slimmer.

Odds are the owner would've done this already if possible so it raises flags about legality of ownership.

This must be a fairly common issue for The Registry. Once upon a time there were no "titles". The seller simply signed the back of the registration, wrote a bill of sale with selling price (for sales tax purposes) and off you went to stand in line at the RMV. If the bike is not registered, a bill of sale (both names and addresses, VIN, etc.) should do, maybe notarized just to make it official. But before waiting at the Registry for what will seem like weeks, call their customer "service" line.

Good luck!

pete

Yea, thanks, I've scoured that site, and, in fact, my wife is a MA insurance agent who deals with the registry, and they don't cover the case of a missing reg. on their site. They assume you have some kind documentation of chain of custody.

The link took you to their phone number

In a much as New Hampshire, on your northern border, does not issue a title to older vehicles (I think ten years), and just uses a bill of sale; I would think they have a procedure in place, and it would be common knowledge.

I would imagine that the major issue is going to be whether the state the seller is a resident of issues a title for a vehicle of that age. If that is the case, then it is the sellers responsibility to provide you with clear title at time of purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived