IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Nav III (GPS) tool?

Deek

I have a stock BMW Motorrad Nav III GPS. It's retained in its cradle with a small hex head (or star or torx?) screw/bolt that has sort of as hollow head. It takes a special tool to secure that bolt. I have one, but need another as I recently aquired a second GPS mounting cradle for another motorcycle.....unfortunately without the special tool.

I suspect these things are both rare and expensive.....anyone got an idea where to get another? Hopefully someone other than BMW sells them.........

Oh, Merry Christmas ya'll! :)

How about swapping out the screw/bolt for something with a standard hex or torx head...eliminating the need for the special tool.

The manual calls it a "security screwdriver".

If the special tool is for security reasons to prevent somebody from removing your GPS...I never leave my GPS unattended.

Picture of the end of the special tool would help to visualize need.

Dick Rothermel

Here's an easy remedy. Buy a small cheap screwdriver, take a dremel tool and cut a small notch in the middle of it and now you have another GPS screw removal tool! Dick

I have a stock BMW Motorrad Nav III GPS. It's retained in its cradle with a small hex head (or star or torx?) screw/bolt that has sort of as hollow head. It takes a special tool to secure that bolt. I have one, but need another as I recently aquired a second GPS mounting cradle for another motorcycle.....unfortunately without the special tool.

I suspect these things are both rare and expensive.....anyone got an idea where to get another? Hopefully someone other than BMW sells them.........

You need the T10 Star-Tip on this page http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body38.htm part #31810

Regards,

John

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and solutions! I like the added security of requiring that "special tool" I described, which does look just like the one in the link John B supplied above.

I tried to find a retail store for those Bondus tools, and the closest is in Arkansas, a lengthy drive from home (near Memphis). So I suppose the next fairly sunny day I'll ride over there after calling to verify he has what I need in stock.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Actually now I've studied what's at the link it looks like this product on that link is what I need:

"Tamper Resistant Hex Key Long Arm Style" set 32432, and looks like maybe I can get a set including my size (I think T10?) HERE. .

Also found THIS ONE ....only $30!

Seems like you are talking about two different tools here. The second link has the strait tip screwdriver with a slot cut in the center. Is this what you need?

Pat

I should have waited to post anything.....I keep doing research and finding better solutions....

I measure the Torx, it is indeed a T10 (0.107 inches at widest) with the "anti-tampering" or "security" feature.

Found the set of Bondhus Torq wrenches that include that size for about $15, found another source in Canada for about $7 Canadian, then found one at GPSCITY.COM for about $5. They web says that are in stock, so I ordered two now I will have one for each bike and a spare. Whew. :Cool:

If you don't hear from me again consider the problem solved. :grin:

You need the T10 Star-Tip on this page http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body38.htm part #31810

Regards,

John

I did not scroll down far enough on the Bondhus page. It is part #32410 that is required as I can now see from the item that I holding in my hand. Apologies.

No apologies are required, sir! You were very helpful, you got my long search started this morning. Nothin like playing detective on a cold winter morning huddled near a warm PM..... :thumbsup:

What part are you holding in your hand? A Bondhus tool, or the original BMW Motorrand "Security Screwdriver". Sure was glad I found the later for my bike at GPS CIty.com.

Archived