IGNORED

Battery Charging

BRT Rider

I replaced the battery of my 2007 K1200 GT with an Odyssey Drycell.

However the BMW Battery Charger that I have been using (which is for Canbus System) is nor working correctly. The Green Power light is on but so is the Red Error light. The lights on top that indicate battery strength (0-1/3, 1/3-2/3, etc.) are not working. The charger always worked fine with the standard BMW battery, but not with the Odyssey. I don't want to try a Battery Tender because it may do damage to the Canbus System. Has anyone had this problem? If so what is the solution. Please advise.

Thanks

A Battery Tender will do absolutely no harm to the ZFE (CANBus system). Run a pigtail direct to battery and plug it in. You will now have a good tender connection along with a viable plug for use with a cycle pump on the side of the road if you have a flat, etc.

As for the issue you are facing, hard to say specifically what is going on but;

I assume that the bike is functioning, running, no indicator lights, etc. since changing the battery?

Try plugging in an accessory to this socket and see if it is working under normal running condition.

Did the plug get disconnected when installing teh battery adn not got reconnected or did it unintentionally get pulled and unplugged?

Did a wire get pinched/cut when reinstalling everything?

Loose connection to the battery terminal?

Any other things added/modified/taken away when the new battery was placed in service?

Literally EVERY single motorcycle that is sold from the three local BMW dealers near me ALL leave the sales floor with a Battery Tender pigtail and EVERY dealer plugs a Battery Tender in to the bikes on their showroom floor over their closed weekend period.

Thanks Phil, but will the Battery Tender be OK if I plug into utility outlet on the bike or do I have to pigtail directly to the battery and bypass Canbus System?

I like the convenience of the utilty plug instead of removing battery lid to access battery pigtail eveytime I park my bike in the garage.

Nice n Easy Rider
Thanks Phil, but will the Battery Tender be OK if I plug into utility outlet on the bike or do I have to pigtail directly to the battery and bypass Canbus System?

I like the convenience of the utilty plug instead of removing battery lid to access battery pigtail eveytime I park my bike in the garage.

I just ran a fused pigtail from the battery and tuck it in under the seat. It's readily accessible if I want to charge my battery or if I need to add some air while on the road.

The most important factor is use of a charger that shuts off and monitors when the battery is fully charged. Then, its floatvoltage needs to be correct for an AGM and ideally, temperature compensated. Remember that any AGM or gel gets no added water so is totally dependent on not losing what is in it. Batteries that are overcharged or charged too long gas a lot more and the catalysts inside that recombine the hydrogen and oxygen to water may not keep up in which case the battery dries out and is dead.

Use of an incorrect, usually old style transformer charger, is one common way AGMs get killed early. And old style trickle chargers are another.

The basic low output Battery Tender often fails to initiate a charge on a discharged Odyseey but is OK for maintenance of one in decent shape.

Really the best thing you can do is put your old junk chargers on the shelf and get a modern one. There is a list on Odyssey website but some suitable types are from CTek, Accumate including Optimate Dual Xtreme, ete..

Archived