IGNORED

Winter riding face protection

curlesw

I am enjoying my real first winter riding season...moved from So Cal to VA a couple of years of ago. I have heated gear (jacket and gloves) and have found a nice stup for riding in 20 degree weather. Over the past couple of days my cheeks and lips have gotten a little chapped. I have a hood I use when I'm out working in the yard that fits "ok" with the helment; it's not a "motorcycle" specific hood, just a cheap $5 hood from Tractor Supply Co.

I would appreciate hearing what the experienced winter riders wear. Thanks

v/r

Wayne C.

05 RT

I use a smart wool baklava from REI. Or balaclava. Or something like that. It's smart in that it keeps my head super warm, but yet, as things warm up, does not cause sweating of the head, which maybe I don't do anyway.

It has the added advantage that it fits down inside my shirt, which has a zipper which zips up fully onto the neck. And also as it starts to get warmer does not cause sweating of the neck, which maybe I don't do anyway either.

dc

It was 14 in Alexandria when I rode to work on Tuesday morning, finally got up to 32 around lunch in DC and I think it was going back down during the commute home. For me the Nolan N103 behind the R11RT screen does a fine job. Of course the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves make it more than bearable.

I use a smart wool baklava from REI. Or balaclava. Or something like that. It's smart in that it keeps my head super warm, but yet, as things warm up, does not cause sweating of the head, which maybe I don't do anyway.

It has the added advantage that it fits down inside my shirt, which has a zipper which zips up fully onto the neck. And also as it starts to get warmer does not cause sweating of the neck, which maybe I don't do anyway either.

dc

This baklava would be warm, but not very comfortable.

Cary Little turned me on the the Buff back in Y2K. LINK I use them pretty much year round. In the summer just around my neck. It seems to keep the 'Stich a bit more comfortable, keeps the collar from digging into my neck. It works well as a "evap-o-dana" if you soak it with water. In cold weather I pull it up to cover my ears, and/or face, it is infinitely adjustable. I have not used the wool version.

curlesw ,

Hey Wayne , We are neighbors!

I ride past Round Hill every morning on Rt 7 on my 99 RT1100RT! I live in Winchester, and commute to the Loudoun County Park-n-ride in Leesburg...

I have a very light unlined nylon jacket (with a hood) that I wear under my regular down alternative (polyfill) jacket. The thin layer of the hood material under my helmet keeps my head toasty warm. I also ride with the RT windshield all the way up when the temperatures are below 35 or so.

I use a HAWK full face modular helmet and I do keep the face shield up one click to eliminate fogging, but behind the RT windscreen that is not much of a problem. A little lip balm before my ride and I am good to go.

The only part of me that ever gets really cold on my commute is my knees, so I wear a pair of sweat pants over my street clothes until I get to Leesburg. I can put up with the cold for the 30 minute ride... if I had to ride longer, I would just get some insulated pants or underwear to cut the wind chill.

Drop me a PM if you want to get together over a cup of coffee and compare bikes and winter driving experiences...

Wayne I use a BMW Windstopper (fancy balaclava w/reinforced neck area) Beth uses a silk one.

Then we add a neck gaiter.

It seals the edges of helmet and overlaps top of jacket to reduce leaks and cool air ingress.

Keeping the head warm and neck area warm is important in cold weather to keep mentally sharp. A lot of blood flows through there.

The Gerbings heated liner and gloves helps too.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Maybe just a Foggy Respro Mask ?

I don't like balaclavas because they make the helmet fit loose the rest of the year. I notice it but, some don't. Baklava dosn't make the helmet fit loose though. Pants yes.

I don't like balaclavas because they make the helmet fit loose the rest of the year. I notice it but, some don't. Baklava dosn't make the helmet fit loose though. Pants yes.

The Respro isn't really designed for wind protection. I have one but don't use it much.

I like the Under Armour balaclava. Not too thick and adjusts from fitting under the chin to covering all the way to the nose. I don't like the solid balaclavas that all cover the mouth.

For a 60 minute 20-degree ride consists of a balaclava and heated grips. Subtract another 10-degrees and I add heated gloves. Subtract another 10-degrees and I add a heated vest. I don't ride below 0-degrees. Over time, I've realized I don't really need the heated vest most of the time.

My balaclava is thin. Thus, I cannot notice if it is there or not.

It is wool, but super thin. In fact, it is so thin, that, sometimes, I cannot see it.

dc

...smart wool baklava from REI...

I generally start growing a beard in late summer, and then shave it off in the spring. Sometimes I get the bakalva stuck in it too.

C'mon, nobody heard of what the women who swim across Lake Ontario wear?

Vaseline.

No kidding. Try it or something like it.

Ben

+1 on the Buff. I have a coupe of the microfiber ones and use them year round. In cold weather, I pull it right up over my nose. In cool weather, I just keep my neck covered. In hot weather, I keep it wet. It's all good.

Thanks for all the input guys. I wore my $5 Tractor Supply hood the other day and it made a huge difference all around. It was tight and not something I would prefer to do everyday. So looks like I'll look through all the recommendations and find something that works for me.

Wayne C.

05 RT

• 2 weeks later...

Man, sign me up for some of that 'pants loosening' baklava!! Seems like the only kind of that I get is the 'pants tightening' kind!

Dermot

I purchased a MC specific balaclava, thin (silk) material around the head and thicker material around the neck down. What a difference this makes! It's amazing how much heat loss occurs at the head. I rode to work the other day, 17 degrees and I was toasty all the way in (about a 45 min ride). On the way home, it was about 55 degrees, I was not wearing the balaclava...hmmmm, a little too cool. Stopped to run an errand, put the balaclava on for the rest of the ride home....nice. I think I'm becoming a wimp as I use to ride in much colder weather and think no big deal...ignorance truly is bliss.

Wayne C.

05 RT

No one has mentioned Smartwool yet?

Smartwool balaclava w/'Stich Wind Triangle

Smartwool is offers great warmth without bulk, not at all objectionable under a helmet.

Wind triangle is windproof.

I like the Under Armour balaclava. Not too thick and adjusts from fitting under the chin to covering all the way to the nose. I don't like the solid balaclavas that all cover the mouth.

Me too, I like the fact it doesn't get all soggy from your breath.

Jeez, and I was worried about the 45 minutes of 45 degree morning I have coming up next Tuesday. I forget how hard it was to ride long distances/times "up yonder".

I'll just have a few pieces of baklava, wear my "winter gloves", quit my bitchin' and hope I don't become a snowbird's hood ornament.

Thanks for the reality check all.

Archived