IGNORED

Rain-X for visors and windscreens

Pletch

Back to the well of knowledge or book of answers again.

Is there anyone that has a seen or used a product (successfully) that is similar to Rain-X on thier visors and windscreen? I would love to find something that is as good and allowing the water/rain/snow/fog etc to roll off and clear as rain-X does on my car.

I know the first thought, use it on the bike, well it doesn't hold, the plastics don't allow it to adhere and stay so it's fruitless.

Thanks all

Guest Kakugo

Years ago I bought a product from Hein Gericke (will tell you the exact name later). It can be used both on the inside and the outside of the visor to act both as an anti-fog and as a surrogate of sort to Rain-X.

Now, it works, but it doesn't last very long (on a 400km rain-soaked trip chances are you'll have to reapply it at least once).

Personally I am very satisfied with the small wiper blade fitted to my Held winter gloves and I am currently looking for something similar to fit to my summer gloves as well.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Everything I've seen suggests Rain-X is made for glass, not polycarbonate. Take a look at this.

Windscreens and helmet visors may be made of polycarb, but they have a scratch-resistant coating on top of that, so anything you apply isn't touching polycarb - it's touching that coating.

I've used Rain-X before on my helmet's clear visor; it seems to work OK. I don't bother applying it to my tinted visor, because that one gets cleaned with Honda spray polish at just about every stop.

Everything I've seen suggests Rain-X is made for glass, not polycarbonate. Take a look at this.

Windscreens and helmet visors may be made of polycarb, but they have a scratch-resistant coating on top of that, so anything you apply isn't touching polycarb - it's touching that coating..

I'm not sure I fully buy that. Every visor I own gets scratches of some sort within a few months, so the Rain X would be in contact with the polycarb.

E.g. here is someone who says, "Unless RainX has changed their formula the last time I contacted RainX personally about this they said not to use it on plastics at all. Glass only."

For the last two years, I have been putting rain-x on my visor and windscreen. I haven't had any issues yet and I'm an all weather rider.

That's not to say I won't have any issues, it's just saying that I haven't had any.

Morning Pletch

I have used Rain-X on my automobiles from time to time (mostly when taking long high speed trips). It has some limitations especially if the vehicle is parked outside in the cold. While Rain-X does repel water nicely at moderate to high vehicles speeds it tends to allow more exterior fogging on cold moist mornings.

Also on some cars with modern wiper systems that are using windshield glass to wiper blade friction to keep the wiper blades from over traveling then using products like Rain-X can reduce wiper blade friction enough to allow wiper blade over travel all the way off the glass & out past the A pillars.

Rain-X is also harmful to some plastics & can be harmful to some plastic anti glare or special coatings.

Rain-X on a non wiper system (like a motorcycle or helmet visor) can also increase exterior fogging problems on cool/cold damp mornings.

Not that it is the best thing going in the modern high tec era but I have used Lemmon Pledge on my motorcycle windshields & visors for many years with decent success. It does make removing bugs & road crud much easier & allows some water beading & blow off.

I also use Rain Coat on my faceshield and windscreen. I find that changing the height of the windshield while I ride changes the air flow around the helmet and get all the drops off. Also, it's neat to watch the drops on the windshield spread away; kinda like going into warp drive or driving at night in a snow storm. They also make an anti-fogging product for faceshields, but it is far from foolproof. Guess there's only so much you can do without cracking the faceshield and letting more air in there.

-----

I have a stash of Raincoat as well. It works pretty well when you remember to use it. It never seemed to hold up well enough for me to offset the amount of effort it took to apply it. I would always put a fresh coat on the day before leaving for trip. It applys just like a coat of wax. Wipe it on, let it dry, buff it off. The problem is that when I am traveling, I tend to clean my visor 2-3-4 times a day (usually at every stop). By day #2 the coating is pretty much completely gone and I'm not usually too keen on taking the time and energy to reapply it.

When I knew I was going to need it, I would apply it the night before and it worked very well. Its just not a spur of the moment kind of product.

Inside (anti-fog) and outside ("Rain-X" droplets), two very different issues. BTW, Rain-X makes different stuff for the two applications. A million anti-fog products at ski shops but are they all safe for your eyeballs, esp. if used on swim goggles, as I do.

Outside: I've never found anything that helps enough to justify repeated applications on the outside (although Rain-X before long trips in my car makes sense).

Inside: best product I know of is "FogTech" (recently reformulated and better). The Rain-X anti-fog product requires endless buffing to apply it right and works worse than FogTech.

FogTech: http://www.fogtech.com/

Many people say the two-layer shields like Nolan uses are very good.

Ben

Paul Mihalka

I have the Nolan helmet with the internal pin-lock fog resistant shield and have absolutely no internal fogging problem. Years back when I had to use glasses for riding I used Rain-x anti-fog and it worked so-so. Since I had cataract surgery with implants I don't need glasses :clap: . Based on this thread I ordered Rain-coat for the outside.

I have the Nolan helmet with the internal pin-lock fog resistant shield and have absolutely no internal fogging problem.

Yes. And when I went to a HJC SyMax II from my prior Nolan, I had made a point of keeping all the little pins from here and there, and now I just drill a HJC shield for the pin lock system from the Nolan. Works like a champ.

Annoyingly, just after I bought a new, big can of Plexus for $16, I got a Schuberth C3; Schuberth is very clear in saying that nothing is to be put on their shields! Nothing, no, nothing (think Sergeant Schulz).

Annoyingly, just after I bought a new, big can of Plexus for $16, I got a Schuberth C3; Schuberth is very clear in saying that nothing is to be put on their shields! Nothing, no, nothing (think Sergeant Schulz).

Call it "vintage" and put it on Ebay for $40.

Back in my Gold Wing phase, the GW forums were atwitter (this was before Twitter) over a product which only needed to be applied every now and then, and against which bugs bounced off, and rain, too. I looked for it locally at the time, with no success, and of course now I can't remember the name.

Happy to help....

Back in my Gold Wing phase, the GW forums were atwitter (this was before Twitter) over a product which only needed to be applied every now and then, and against which bugs bounced off, and rain, too. I looked for it locally at the time, with no success, and of course now I can't remember the name.

Happy to help....

Hello Mark, was the product you are thinking about called Rejex? I've never seen the bugs bouncing but they certainly seem to wipe off much easier when washing the bike...which I try to do every year:-)

I use Rejex on the leading edges of my airplane wing...it helps...but bugs don't bounce. It does make for a very slick surface. It is quite easy to use as long as the surface isn't oxidized.

I used Pledge for 20 years until I started to use Plexus. I must say that around here, Plexus has doubled in price over the last couple of years.

While googling around for a decent answer, I came across DiamonFusion...for glass. But I went ahead and asked them if they have a product for plastic. They do. Or rather, they're working on it. I'm going to be a "beta tester" of the stuff for our applicaiton...I have an OEM shield and a CalSci, so if there's enough of the goop I'll be able to see if it works on both kinds of plastic. Will report...if it ever rains in Texas again.

http://www.dfinanotechnology.com/

All Kleer windshield and visor, from Black labs in Chardon Ohio. www.all-kleer.com

I bought this stuff from the international motorcycle show years ago and it is the best i've ever used. Read .. only thing i ever used :/

Actually says on the bottle that it "dissolves everything from grease to bugs almost instantly" !!

• 2 weeks later...
While googling around for a decent answer, I came across DiamonFusion...for glass. But I went ahead and asked them if they have a product for plastic. They do. Or rather, they're working on it. I'm going to be a "beta tester" of the stuff for our applicaiton...I have an OEM shield and a CalSci, so if there's enough of the goop I'll be able to see if it works on both kinds of plastic. Will report...if it ever rains in Texas again.

Received the spray bottle of "beta" DiamonFusion stuff. Question: best solution for removal of all the layers of Plexus? I don't have Dawn...Palmolive. Also have 409 and Windex, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, alcohol, Safeguard soap, Tide, Clorox, Efferdent denture cleanser (for my Camelbak, don't have choppers...yet). Oh, and acetone.

Received the spray bottle of "beta" DiamonFusion stuff. Question: best solution for removal of all the layers of Plexus? I don't have Dawn...Palmolive. Also have 409 and Windex, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, alcohol, Safeguard soap, Tide, Clorox, Efferdent denture cleanser (for my Camelbak, don't have choppers...yet). Oh, and acetone.

If it as me I'll use alcohol.Alcohol removed wax from project I was doing.

Archived