IGNORED

Top case touch up paint

12R12RT

As far as I know, this isn't bike specific. I've searched here and on the internet and found no satisfactorily definitive answer.

Does anybody know if BMW makes a paint touch-up pen that is for the matte silver color on the top half of the top case for an RT (which I think is the same for all RTs and the K bikes)? Got a part number or paint code?

I rolled back into a mailbox and put a couple of scratches in my top case.

Thanks!

Tom

I rolled back into a mailbox and put a couple of scratches in my top case.

HA! I've been there, but it was worse. It was my wife's car which was parked in an odd place since my brother was visiting. Not only did I scratch up my just repaired RT, but I put a nice ding in her car as well. Doh!

Wayne

Depends on how finicky you are but touch-up paint on a scratched surface looks like crap IMO. A chip or a nick, ok. Good time to have your top case color matched to your bike. Sorry, I dont know the answer to your question.

Pat

Does anybody know if BMW makes a paint touch-up pen that is for the matte silver color on the top half of the top case for an RT (which I think is the same for all RTs and the K bikes)? Got a part number or paint code?

Thanks!

Tom

Sure do. Give me a day or so to climb up in the paint box in the garage and I'll let you know. I redid my top box as well. I wound up clear coating mine to match the side cases.

The previous poster is right however. Spot repairs rarely look good. You almost have to do the whole area and allow for some overspray. If you are trying to use a pen or nail polish type touch up kit to fix a scratch, it's going to look worse than had you left it alone.

TEWKS and FLrider -

Right after it happened my first thought was to paint it to match the sidecases. I figure that will run me about $200.

My second thought was whether or not touch up (which I know will look crappy) will look $200 worse than color matching from 10 feet away. I decided that it might be worth $20 to try, though there's no doubt that color matching the side cases will look $200 better!

My third thought, being a KLR650 rider, was to put a sticker over it, or maybe paint the whole bike with bedliner. :)

FLrider - thanks for climbing the ladder for me, I really appreciate it!

wbrissette - I feel your pain...

Tom

Here you go. This is made by a company called Colorite. They make pens, nail polish type brushes and aerosol. I would STRONGLY advise against the brush type.

Don't be afraid to spray paint it. Somewhere on this site I have an instructional about the do's and don'ts of rattle can painting. The best suggestions I can make are 1) sand down the affected area, using as high a grit as possible that will work. In other words, depending on how bad the scratch is, don't start with 220. Start with 1500 wet and see if that gets the scratch out. It could just be in your clearcoat and not the paint. 2) Do NOT tape off a square area around the affected area and then shoot paint. You WILL leave an edge where the tape was. Instead, only tape off different color areas, emblems, the black part of the top case. Shoot paint over the affected area from at least 10" away, point directly at the affected area and feather out your stroke. Yes you will get overspray but it wont be as noticeable as trying to isolate and paint the scratch. After sanding, you wont notice it.

Go to the colorite site. Great tips on rattle can painting. Good Luck.

Paint Code

PS: I would be happy to show you some of my results if you wanted to see pics...

TEWKS and FLrider -

Right after it happened my first thought was to paint it to match the sidecases. I figure that will run me about $200.

Fyi the paint shop that H'wood bmw uses quoted me $100 for a side case, guaranteed to match. I figure a top case should be in that ballpark.

TEWKS and FLrider -

Fyi the paint shop that H'wood bmw uses quoted me $100 for a side case, guaranteed to match. I figure a top case should be in that ballpark.

For $100 buks, I'd have it done professionally. He'll spend $40+ just for materials in a DIY scenario....

Hey, thanks everybody for the info!

On a whim I went 'round to the local autobody shop.

Doggone if he didn't quote me $100!

Guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks again,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived