IGNORED

Cord for IPhone 4S to Autocom?

TrickLidz

Would the standard headphone jack cord work to hook the IPhone to an old Autocom system? I know the older cell phones used the special cord with a smaller end. I will also pair via BT to the Zumo.

Related question: what has everyone been using for a mount to hold the IPhone to the outside of the bike??

TIA,

Steve

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I custom built a cord to hard wire my 4S to the Autocom. It sounded like I was in a tin can. I don't recommend it.

No mount. Just slip it in the map pocket and use siri to control it.

Because they expect you to use it as an MP3 player, it is a standard 3.5 (1/8 inch) jack, not the 2.5 that many phones use.

I believe it is mono, not stereo.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Because they expect you to use it as an MP3 player, it is a standard 3.5 (1/8 inch) jack, not the 2.5 that many phones use.

I believe it is mono, not stereo.

I have the details. I built it correctly. Sound quality is not there. I haven't looked into it further, but I suspect there's more to the headphone/mic circuit than meets the eye.

Boney - I was talking to the OP - he asked a specific question about the size of the plug. I have no concerns about your ability to stick a proper sized plug in a hole. :grin:

FYI, Autocom has a "special" cable to connect an Iphone, part # 2194, "Apple Iphone stereo phone lead". It is a 3.5mm 4 pole plug on each end. It also works with the Droid, which I am using.

Depends on what you mean by older. Current Autocom and one generation before use 4-pole TRRS 3.5mm interface plugs. The pinout from tip to shield is left, right, mic, ground. The iPhone is left, right, ground, mic. Older Autocom product with a 3-pole interface is mic, speaker, ground. Older 4-pole will have +9v as a second ring (i.e. mic, spk, +9v, end), but that is not what you will be using.

If you reply with the exact model of Autocom I can confirm which lead type you need. Current production has a iPhone cable, which incidentally works with all modern smart phones. If you need one for an older system, either I or another full-service Autocom dealer can make one for you.

Would the standard headphone jack cord work to hook the IPhone to an old Autocom system? I know the older cell phones used the special cord with a smaller end. I will also pair via BT to the Zumo.

Related question: what has everyone been using for a mount to hold the IPhone to the outside of the bike??

TIA,

Steve

Archived