IGNORED

Motoport Motorcycle Suits

Mark Mayo

I have three motorcycle suits: Olympia, Tourmaster and Motoport. The newest is a custom-made Motoport jacket and pants. No, I do not work for them, I paid full price for this suit like the other two. I don't know about you, but I never get a suit to fit correctly straight off of the rack. With Motoport the suit fits like it was made for me because it was. I ordered the pants first and decided to visit Motoport in San Marcos to be sure of the measurements. The usual way to do this is to use blue tape on a pair of jeans that fit you well and mail them in with your order. The tape shows where the armor padding will fit while you sit on your bike. You can also use large paper clips to show where to tailor pants for a better fit. The owner, Wayne, helped to take my order and gave me a surprisingly complete tour of his facility. To be sure Wayne thinks his products are better than ones I owned. My Olympia suit is shown here.

CooksCorner003.jpg

He had post-crash samples of the suit I was wearing (shown above) - not a pretty sight! I ordered a pair of pants with exactly the armor I wanted (all of it) and new dark gray reflective stripes on the legs.

When I picked up the pants they fit; they fit very well. The construction is the best of any suit I own. The thread is tougher and less likely to break in a crash. I decided to wear them home to Long Beach. I liked the comfort a lot and kept touching the leg armor as I rode noticing that I had a lot more protection. Nice pants! The extra money for custom pants, better made pants with better armor was worth it. The material I selected is stretch Kevlar a fabric that is many times stronger than leather and feels great. Here is a photo from the Rock Store with the new pants. Note the reflection of the pants; the jacket is by Tourmaster.

_DSC2575-Edit-Edit.jpg

My wife decided to buy me a jacket for my birthday and we visited Motoport to design and get measurements. While we looked at styles and color combinations that were on display, mine looks unique. The jacket is made of mesh Kevlar and panels of stretch Kevlar in motion places. The stuff lets in lots of air if you remove the combination waterproof/insulated liner. I was impressed again that the jacket fit perfectly and felt great on the bike. You can feel the protection! It was a plus to select what kind of pocket I wanted. The liner is also the best one I own and will accommodate a Gerbing heated liner on the cold days. Here is a photo of the entire suit as I start the SC-MA California Missions Tour.

IMG_1355.jpg

I realize that I have never been called slim for a very good reason, but the suit fits me and feels great when I ride. Many police departments, sheriffs and the CHP buy a lot of Motoport products. If you need a new suit at least give them a look. Better yet, make an appointment to visit the shop and get the tour; be prepared to leave knowing your suit is less protective than you thought it was!

http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/Home

I have been down there. I have one of their jackets. I know it doesn't fit right, but I never really had any jacket fit right, including any of the custom tailor made.

I thought I might come close with the BMW Rallye 3, but then it doesn't come in the color I want.

So my clothing aspirations on are on hold for the time being.

dc

I have a very short inseam, I can not buy pants off the rack and have the padding in the right place, I used instructions on their website on how to measure and I have a great pair of pants that fit right.

+1 for Motoport.

I have an Aerostich Darien suit.... It doesn't fit right but that's because I bought it used and I have now lost alot of weight. When I get to my goal weight I will probably ride down to motoport and get a custom suit made. I ran unto a guy wearing a suit by them and seemed very high quality. My only gripe is that it seems the waterproof part is the liner. I like that my Darien is waterproof on the outside.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
My only gripe is that it seems the waterproof part is the liner. I like that my Darien is waterproof on the outside.

That's exactly correct. It takes a bit of getting used to. Especially when you get home and have to hang up the jacket to let it drip dry. But it does so very quickly.

Mark, I have to agree with you. I love my Motoport! I've had mine for eight or nine years now. Back then they had a retail store in Escondido so I went and got them to fit me. I have had a zipper and belt repaired once but that is it. These things last! Once a year I take mine to the local laundromat with some woolite and I'm set. I don't take the armor out. Once a year washing helps to discourage theft. :rofl:

I would highly suggest you use some '303 Fabric Guard' on your suit. It helps make your investment last much longer.

I have the Moto jacket in mesh kevlar and love it.

Last week i rode to their shop, got the tour and ordered pants in stretch Kevlar, they called a couple of days later, they are ready for pick up.

I'm in southern CA for the winter, this is one of the percs.

I really like their gear.

Moto used to be famous for good quality but poor service and long wait times. (Search some of the old posts.) Is that still the case? If not, good for them...and us.

In warmer weather I wear a M'port suit that has given me great service for nearly ten years.

My pants were custo made and took a couple of days.

I picked 'em up this morning. I took the long way home, about two hours of riding. The armor is molding to my knees nicely.

They are comfy, and seem to flow more air than my FirstGear mesh overpants. I also like the way they go on, with the long inside zipper. There's lots of armor in them, so they won't pack small, but I'll wear them all the time anyway.

Only a 100 miles or so, but I like them so far.

Wayne told me he needs referals for business, as his gear lasts so long, he constantly needs new customers. Nobody wears this gear out.

I own two Ultra II stretch kevlar suits, the older in a 3/4 length jacket, and the newer in a 1/2 length jacket. In addition, I own a set of the "Police Kevlar Pants".

These are by far the most versatile pieces of riding gear I have owned.

I have riden extended trips in temperatures from the single digits to 118+ behind the fairing on my RT.

I have experienced real toad stranglers without getting wet.

The oldest suit is pushing ten years old now, and it is still my primary suit, in excellent condition. The 1/2 length jacket suit was an experiment on my part which did not work out as I anticipated. Nothing wrong with the suit or how Wayne built it. Just the 3/4 length jacket suit is more convenient in use.

The "Police" jeans are what I wear for local trips or where I need to stay in the gear while off the bike. Jeans were built to be able to use with either the 1/2 or the 3/4 length jackets.

I have always received a great product as well as great service and timely support from Wayne.

(Only post purchase support needed was having Wayne trim both suits down to the new slimmer me after losing nearly 40 Lbs...)

Oh, I also really like Motoport's Kevlar "Racing" gloves and am planning on springing for the Kevlar winter gloves soon...

I highly recommend Motoport / Cycleport to any and all.

i went with a 3/4 length Cordura jacket this year. Very well made product. My only complaint, is that the jacket really needs a rain suit over it, if you get more than three drops. It just does not protect you from the rain at all if you don't have the liner in. But that is by design, not a limitation of the quality.

And the armor is Top Notch!!!

I have an older 3/4 length Ultra II Cordura jacket and pants. Still ticking. I think some of my velcro is closest to giving out, of any construction on the suit.

I just bought a pair of mesh Kevlar over pants. I sold the gray Olympia suit shown at the top. It is healthy, clean and happy to ride in Wisconsin.

The more I ride with the Motoport gear the better I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice from this forum. Wayne gave me a pair of Kevlar gloves after buying the mesh pants. The gloves are quite protective, more so than my Gerbing heated or the summer BMW gloves, yet are cooler too.

The combination of the mesh jacket and pants is really cool. You feel cooler by just walking.

I'm sold on Motoport!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have Motoport gear. I'm short. I went in and Wayne recommended the Stretch Kevlar pants as the mesh would have been too bulky and heavy for me. He was right and I love the pants! I also got a complete factory tour and was very impressed. Have had the pants and mesh kevlar jacket for a year now and I love them.

I have two custome made outfits from them and they are wonderful to ride with. I have the stretch Kevlar and their mesh fabric with the up-armour option. Both outfits have a high vis jacket and black pants. Couldn't be happier with the fit and customer service from this company.

• 3 months later...

I just got an Air mesh kevlar jacket and the Air mesh kevlar street jeans. Wayne has asked me to put out some good words. Although a great product sells itself, even if it's expensive. How much did you pay for your last business suit made of regular fabric, for the regular sized person? I didn't need an advertisement, I sought out the gear. BUT, it's a great value, since you can't put a price on your safety. It's simple, kevlar is superior to all other fabrics. Leather is great, but it's HOT, and it degrades with time.

Others will melt to your skin, or wear away fast as you slide on the pavement someday. I've been riding my whole life, and I'm damn good at it, but I don't care who you are, accidents happen. My leather racing suit saved my knee years ago, and I'm sure the padding was the reason. Also, you get the added benefit of air flow, and you can limit that if needed with a liner. Also, I have not seen any company do more research on armor, it's simply the best. Even the armor flows air too. I've got to say, it's a little bulky, but when you are on the bike, you don't notice it. You can't exactly do aerobics with the suit on, but your really not moving around alot on the bike, and it's fine. You just can't be safer. Why would you spend 15 to 20k on a bike, and not spend another 1,300 for a suit? It's a no brainer. And don't forget, this gear is MADE TO FIT YOU. You take all the measurements, and it is made to fit YOU, and you pick the colors. Not like most other suits made of black, also HOT!

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Wayne has asked me to put out some good words.

+1 on that. I've had an air mesh jacket for a year, the wife a stretch kevlar jacket, and my air mesh pants showed up Thursday. Big like. I've not seen any other pants, yet, that have thigh armor. The fit is awesome and the zippers always work.

Looking forward to a week and a half of break-in & riding to Denver and back later this week.

Convinced the wife to place an order for her pants too! Should have no difficulty finding a real size 1 since it's custom made. Come to think of it, that could set a problematic trend :cry: for the non-riding clothes.

+1 on the Pants, I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I love them. When I get sick enough of repairing the collar and zippers on my Olympia, (probably soon) I'll be shelling out the duckets for a Motoport Airmesh jacket.

By the way, the link is just: http://www.motoport.com/

moshe_levy

I just published a 3 season test of the Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh overpants in MCN - see http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnmotoport.pdf

In short, they're fantastic and they feel like they will last absolutely forever. My only peev was I couldn't get the "sacrum" armor to fit right (I always wound up sitting right on top of it, no matter how I trimmed it,) so I took it out. I'm in NJ - not too convenient to go in for a fitting, but surely I would if I could! Good quality stuff!

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan
My only peev was I couldn't get the "sacrum" armor to fit right (I always wound up sitting right on top of it, no matter how I trimmed it,)

I'm going to have to figure that out as well. Riding high in the saddle like I've got a load in my diaper (which I don't really wear).

moshe_levy

Peter-

I wound up just taking it out. The pouch is sewn in, so non-adjustable. No matter how I trimmed the pad, I wound up sitting on it. So out it came. If I ever get out to CA, I'll bring the pants and get them adjusted and fit correctly for the sacrum pad.

-MKL

SteveSardone

I'll chime in also. Bought my air mesh kevlar jacket and pants in '05. had the pants on when I went down in florida going 75 on I10. I came out without a scratch. The insurance took my gear so I ordered new pants from motoport. Pretty much all I wear here in Texas.

Moshe, nice review.

I have the stretch Kevlar over pants, and don't know the sacrum pad is even back there.

I love my Motoport gear.

Steve, sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear the kevlar held up. Lets see, melted fabric into skin with cheep gear, or "not a scratch" after sliding god knows how far at a 75 mph crash.

Just received a small catalog from Aerostich which features their line of riding suits, Darien to Transit. What's interesting is that each piece of gear is explained in detail, emphasizing improvements made recently, hand-made quality, etc. Their full, annual catalog keeps adding new gadgets and more periferal clothing while the presentation of riding gear has stagnated.

Are they feeling the competition?

pete

To me, Aerostich is great RIDING gear. Motoport is great CRASHING gear. The trick is knowing which will be needed when setting out on a ride.

To me, Aerostich is great RIDING gear. Motoport is great CRASHING gear. The trick is knowing which will be needed when setting out on a ride.

If that was predictable.

RockBottom

If that was predictable.

We just need to plan better. I already have a major crash penciled in on my calendar for 2017.

I too feel that I am substantially safer in the Motoport jacket, pants and gloves. The other day was cooler and I used my Gerbing (warmer) gloves and my wife wondered why I did not wear the safer-looking gloves. She is a ATGATT person and for some reason wants me safe.

I am not sure when the crash is coming, but the last two rides had someone screaming into my lane without looking. I made it through luck not skill. The suit almost got a try. Whew! I watched 20 or so Harley riders with leather vests and naked arms with jeans today. I guess that might be "riding gear" and quite comfortable until that road meets the flesh...

The link to Motoport is

http://www.motoport.com/

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Moshe.

Totalled a bit over 4.5 hours yesterday. Tailbone started getting pissy after one hour. Later on, tried the muscle clench that has worked before and it helped a little.

Coming home, it was better.

The worst case is it ends up on the side of the road tomorrow on the way to CO.

Well I haven't seen convincing evidence that Motoport gear is any better in a crash than a Aerostich RC. True, kevlar is tougher than steel. But does it abraid better than leather or the heavy Cordura?

No doubt, Motoport gear is fantastic. I've got a RC and think I should have considered Motoport a bit more when I purchaced.

realshelby

Well I haven't seen convincing evidence that Motoport gear is any better in a crash than a Aerostich RC. True, kevlar is tougher than steel. But does it abraid better than leather or the heavy Cordura?

No doubt, Motoport gear is fantastic. I've got a RC and think I should have considered Motoport a bit more when I purchaced.

If I were in the market for a solid textile suit the Aerostitch would be very much a contender. They are too hot for me to wear at least 6 months out of the year here. So, I wanted mesh and Motoport is the only HIGHLY rated mesh gear out there. I can say that the "armor" is significant in the Motoport. I will also say it is NOT the coolest mesh gear I have owned. If their claims of abrasion resistance are even half true, it will do a good job if needed.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Have you checked their website for their abrasion tests?

Also, ADVrider has a number of testimonials from crashed riders scattered about.

Have you checked their website for their abrasion tests?

Also, ADVrider has a number of testimonials from crashed riders scattered about.

Peter, I've been at the adv site and seen a fraction of the crash worthness results that I have found with the RC. I haven't seen Motoports abrasion tests. I have seen some Motoports claimed abrasion comparisons which, IMO are sceptical. Wayne at Motoport does admit that Kevlar alone will be a very poor abrasion performer and therefor the stretch kevlar is a blend with a Cordura like material called Dynatec. SO, if it is a blend of a high abrasion material, wouldn't a 100% abrasion material be better for abrasion? I'm ending this argument here. I think the gear is great. But I wouldn't say it is better than a RC in a crash. However I would say it is way cooler in hot weather.

I also drank the kool-aid. I received my new Air Mesh Kevlar pant and Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket. I am not affiliated in any way with Motoport and this was a major cash outlay.

As far as ordering, measurements and waiting; patience is a virtue. I measured and re-measured multiple times to make sure I had them right. Wayne questioned my arm length measurement and we remeasured several times and kept getting the same measurement. Finally, I measured my current riding jacket and sent that in which was about 5 inches different! I was definitely apprehensive about what the arm length was going to be.

I am glad to say the jacket and pants fit perfectly. The first time I tried it all on I felt like the Michelin man... it is a bulky outfit. I ordered the upgraded protection and I am sure this has a lot to do with the bulkiness. And the outfit is considerably heavier than my previous First Gear Mesh outfit.

I took my first ride with it early this morning. As soon as I got on the bike, the added weight disappeared and the feeling of bulkiness went away as well. The outfit seems to flow as much air as my previous outfit which is very important to me... it gets hot in Texas! From reading, I had concerns about the Armour being in the right place but everything seems to be exactly right.

I am sure it will take a few more rides to get things somewhat broken in and I expect it will get even better. As I said earlier, this was a lot of money but I think this outfit looks like it will last a long time. And it feels quite a bit more substantial than my previous outfit.

I have a Motoport mesh kevlar jacket and stretch kevlar pants. Live plenty close to the shop so I went in for a fitting. Wayne, the owner gave me a full tour of the shop, where they actually sew the stuff.

He has LOTS of examples of his jackets and pants that have been crashed and examples of every other brand. The differences were truly amazing. After seeing what I saw, I feel totally unprotected in anything but my motoport gear. Other brands were torn to shreds, motoport gear might be abraded but nothing but superficial. He had a jacket there he was repairing for a guy that crashed in Hawaii, the paramedics used three bandage scissors trying to cut his jacket off....they only made it 5 inches before they gave up. I think the guy had a broken pinky finger he said.

Additional plus, the motoport gear goes in the washing machine, padding and all. Comes out great. Have washed my gear several times, no issues. No fading.

Expensive....yup. Hopefully worth every penny when my day comes.

More kool aid. I just finished several days of riding near Barona Casino. The temps were cool and foggy leaving Long Beach and toasty in Warner Springs and all around Barona Casino and Valley View Casino. The area is perfect for sport riding!!!

I have been to this region several times and the heat can get to you when the temps get above 100. A ride to Anza-Borego will cook your brain in June or later. This time was better because the suit felt cooler. The last suit was an Olympia mesh and Cordura that was sold as a "cool summer suit" without the liner. The Motoport is indeed warmer and cooler than the Olympia suit. Even I have to wonder about this but I experienced it. Color me happy. If you live near here get on your bike and ride to Motoport. Spend time with Wayne and then ride through this area. You will be happy with both. The curves are just challenging enough to make you think again about a more protective suit.

Archived