IGNORED

Sidecase protection

CVA-42

It's probably only a matter of time until I scuff the paint on my pristine 1200RT sidecases. Are there any reasonably priced recommendations for protecting the paint? Thanks...

Richard

Clearly BMW thinks that all the potential damage is along the lower front and bottom edges. But...from all the case lids that are available for sale on EBay, the minor damage occurs all over the front, side and top (boot scuffing).

In my mind the only way to really protect the cases is with SEVERAL COATS of CLEAR over the existing paint/clear coat.

I'd think that the 3M clear film might help...but not really effective as a deterrent.

Just plan on re-painting the cases every couple of years if you want your bike to look the best.

Nope.

Just ride the thing as you normally would, if sh*t happens get it fixed or replaced. No matter what you do the bike will eventually end up long in the tooth and well used generating lots of good memories, just like you. It's a thing, have fun.

Clearly BMW thinks that all the potential damage is along the lower front and bottom edges. But...from all the case lids that are available for sale on EBay, the minor damage occurs all over the front, side and top (boot scuffing).

In my mind the only way to really protect the cases is with SEVERAL COATS of CLEAR over the existing paint/clear coat.

I'd think that the 3M clear film might help...but not really effective as a deterrent.

Just plan on re-painting the cases every couple of years if you want your bike to look the best.

I think you are right.

I tried 3M clear film on my VFR and wasn't very impressed with it. Not really cheap, very hard to fit properly and only moderately effective. A thick clear coat is a much better option, though the good stuff (ICI, Max Meyer etc) is damn expensive.

Another option that was suggested on this website was to buy scratched lids and have them repainted with that product used on pick up truck beds.

Personally I've toyed with the idea of buying the unpainted case lid of the R1200R and use those... it just simple plastic and they are made to be scuffed, scratched etc.

Snyder's Paint Guard. I think I got it from Aerostich but it's available elsewhere, too. Thick plastic film that you cut to shape and squeegee on.. Works great, remove and re-use, not expensive, almost invisible when applied.

For a complex surface, like the top/front/side of a pannier, I had to cut the film into 2" wide strips. A single sheet will not stretch enough to conform and stay flat. Even so, it looks pretty good.

pete

2011 RT

You might check out the guys at TheTankSlapper ( http://thetankslapper.biz/osc/index.php?cPath=29_56&osCsid=4080942db0f1438241bd5fb2fb53ac97 ).

They offer both the static film and the 3M film and are not outrageously expensive. The kits are well cut and easy to apply. Be advised, though, that the piece for the top of the side cases is the most difficult to apply as there are compound curves in the side case.

I find that scuffs simply wipe off, and I've had plenty of practice. I have pretty bad arthritis in my right knee and have a real hard time swinging my leg over getting on and off the bike. Half the time I kick my top case and wish there was a piece covering the left front of the top case!

As a safety item they also offer reflective film for the back of the side cases. I can send pictures of how that works out.

No connection to them other than as a three-time satisfied customer. Oh, and the owner rides an RT...

Tom

Tom Schmitz said: "I find that scuffs simply wipe off, and I've had plenty of practice. I have pretty bad arthritis in my right knee and have a real hard time swinging my leg over getting on and off the bike. Half the time I kick my top case and wish there was a piece covering the left front of the top case!"

A solution to consider...

When a bike is seriously loaded...for example:lots of camping stuff placed on PILLION seat and loaded to the gill with other stuff...it's almost impossible to throw your leg OVER THE PILLION seat so here's what was suggested to me:

HOW TO MOUNT/DISMOUNT YOUR RIDE

Grab the LEFT handlebar with your RIGHT (yes, right) hand. This forces you to face AWAY from the bike. While holding onto the handlebar...raise your RIGHT foot...slightly lean away from the bike and raise your KNEE...your leg will pivot at the KNEE.

Then slide your bent leg/knee over the RIDER seat...(you won't ever need to touch the PILLION seat) and push your almost straightened leg threw to it's normal position. You may have to HOP a little on the LEFT leg.

DISMOUNTING? Reverse above.

With bikes even higher than an RT (GS and GSA)...this is EXTREMELY useful.

Hope this helps with the arthritis!

LPOL -

That is genius bar stuff!

I'm loading up for a rainy ride back to LA this afternoon and will have full gear on and a rain suit. Being bundled makes things worse as the limited flexibility and range of motion is exacerbated by being bundle up.

I will try this most ungraceful sounding mounting technique.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

While awkward...this little mount/dismount routine actually works...also on my GS beast when travelling fully loaded:

Throw your leg over THAT mess! Or...use the routine.

DSC00283.jpg

Archived