IGNORED

RAM mount for camera on K1200GT... Mount/use/safe?

cali_beemer

I am about to go for a 4 day ride with the GF in a month along the coast. Originally I was telling her she can hold the camera and take pics / video with my camera while we are on hwy1. Then I started thinking maybe I would get a ram mount and put it on the bike. So, I figured there must be a ram ball to fit in the unused mirror hole on my controls. The bike is a 2007 k1200gt. I can't seem to find such a beast. I have found the proper ram mount for the camera, just a matter if the base. I have 2 different bases and one I might be able to put on the lathe at work and machine but it seems this is so common it would be out there already.

Part 2 of my question. My camera is rather nice, point and shoot Sony hx-9v I bought this last summer for $350. Am I asking for trouble by mounting this on the bike? Right Noe it's still under the free replacement Damage insurance so it's no loss but not sure if this is asking to break the camera or not. I was originally going to mount it behind the windscreen but then decided that it would be better not behind it with all the hugs and dirt. I was considering a cheap camera just for this but I am trying to do this on a shoestring budget.

I don't have a Ram mount, but I do have one of these. I like to be able to change the location of the camera and the versatility of it all. The reviews are great, the mount holds up to 4lbs, yet I still put a "dummy" cord on the camera just in case.

I don't have a Ram mount, but I do have one of these. I like to be able to change the location of the camera and the versatility of it all. The reviews are great, the mount holds up to 4lbs, yet I still put a "dummy" cord on the camera just in case.

That's interesting, where do you suction the bracket to?

Any cleaned and smooth surface. I've run it on the rear case, the side case, the front tupperware, the fuel tank, and even used the gauge cluster. When you put it on, you can feel the tension as you try to pull it off, it doesn't want to come and so far, I've not pulled it hard enough to break the suction for fear of damaging the suction cup.

There are several version of this concept.

I have not used it but have considered doing so.

gorilla

I've seen some w/very longish legs that should secure to

someplace, maybe add a tie just in case.

When Beth is taking pics from the pillion I use a dual lanyard

that she slips around her neck or hooks to jacket that is clipped to camera.

Leaves planty of room to move and adds a security tether.

Hi. I have a RAM camera mount on my RT: it fits snugly over the clutch master cylinder.

Never, ever had a problem with this installation.

The only problem I had was with the camera itself. I had a Samsung (I'll be damned if I remember the model) and, plainly put, the vibration compensation software wasn't up to it. No damage whatsoever to the camera itself but footage was often subpar due to excessive vibration.

Under suggestion from a friend I bought a Drift X170 snowboard camera. Image stabilization is absolutely spot on. Very sturdy camera, can be used with gloves on and very satisfied with it.

The X170 itself is very reasonably priced. They now an HD version out (HD170) which is obviously more expensive but nonetheless good bang for the buck.

Also,

is a link using the Gecko and a flip camera that I had. If I remember right, that one was mounted to the instrument cluster. I haven't uploaded any video that I took with the Contour that I now have.
I figured there must be a ram ball to fit in the unused mirror hole on my controls.

I think I have what your looking for (some where)...

It might be this but with an extension.

Perhaps A&S has what your looking for?

I figured there must be a ram ball to fit in the unused mirror hole on my controls.

I think I have what your looking for (some where)...

It might be this but with an extension.

Perhaps A&S has what your looking for?

Thanks I think I might be able to make that work. Run a long bolt from the bottom into it.

Also,

is a link using the Gecko and a flip camera that I had. If I remember right, that one was mounted to the instrument cluster. I haven't uploaded any video that I took with the Contour that I now have.

Nice video. I wouldnt need anything better than that. My camera is pretty nice, it hase image stabilization, 1080P recording at 60 frames per second. When I bought it many reviews said it had better video recording than any point and shoot tested...we'll see... :-) It has worked very well so far and with my 16GB SD card it can handle hours of recording.

If you end up DIY, perhaps you can make this work?

Amazon has an identical one but with an M8 thread that I can make work possibly.

I am now trying to decide between RAM mount on the bars or one of the suction cup mounts.... I must say the suction cup looks very nice and if the image is stabile enough and it won't come off at 100-110 mph then it seems the logical choice. Anyone else use a suction cup mount on the bike? Fairings side?.... I see RAM makes a suction cup mount as well, anyone try that?

RAM makes mounts for the brake and clutch reservoirs. I use one of those on my RT. Works great.

With a long arm attached to it I'm sure you can get it behind the windscreen or out past it, which ever is your preference.

RAM makes mounts for the brake and clutch reservoirs. I use one of those on my RT. Works great.

With a long arm attached to it I'm sure you can get it behind the windscreen or out past it, which ever is your preference.

Thanks, I saw those but I am turned off by the reservoir covers. I have heard of people braking the reservoir if the bike gets dropped turning a simple drop into a roadside repair.

There is a Ram ball that comes with different length 8mm bolts to attach to the handlebar mounts. With the long mounting arm, my video camera can peek over the dashboard behind the windshield.

R1200RTRammount.jpg

There is a Ram ball that comes with different length 8mm bolts to attach to the handlebar mounts. With the long mounting arm, my video camera can peek over the dashboard behind the windshield.

R1200RTRammount.jpg

Do you have any part numbers? I have only found one like that but a 2" thread

I made a mount using ram parts I had. Machined the bracket down to use shorter screws and mount to my fairing. Took another base mount and drilled a hole in the bottom. Tapped it with a 1/4-20 and used all thread rod in it with permanent adhesive. Goes together well, just have to try it out tonight. Total out of pocket is zero dollars

1327612285.jpg

you go, this was shot with the Gecko Mini suction mount on the side of the bike using my newly acquired Contour Roam.
you go, this was shot with the Gecko Mini suction mount on the side of the bike using my newly acquired Contour Roam.

nice video... I think I may give one a try

for those of you that run a traditional camera on your bike for recording, did you use any type of shield for it? Is it really an issue or should I be good mounting my camera?

Archived