IGNORED

Bilt Riding Gear

Vrex

I received a "Cycle Gear" catalog which features a lot of apparel and riding gear carrying the "Bilt" brand name. It seems very attractively priced, assuming it's not cheap junk. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, or know anything about the quality of it?

I received a "Cycle Gear" catalog which features a lot of apparel and riding gear carrying the "Bilt" brand name. It seems very attractively priced, assuming it's not cheap junk. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, or know anything about the quality of it?

It's cycle gears own in house brand that is virtually taking over the stores. If your looking for premium quality, you won't find it there. I bought my girlfriend a pair of boots from there a few weeks ago because of price and how often she will be riding. My dad bought their full face helmet there. For an occasional passenger or rider then it's fine but if your a regular rider then look elsewhere. I am rather disappointed that cycle gear has taken this route. It's given their store a bit of a bargain basement feel like k-mart. They once stocked lines of name brand quality gear. Now it's online only... But if I buy online then I go to newenough.com... Cheaper prices, faster shipping, good customer service and return policy. I would never buy a bilt helmet. My brain is worth mire than that... The boots I bought look like payless shoe source started doing motorcycle boots.... But for the 2 times a month they will work for $50

There are quite a few opinions HERE , and HERE , and other links I read said things like *Is Cycle Gear becoming the Walmart of Motorcycle Gear?* One guy mentioned that someone's jacket sleeve opened up on a low speed get off.

When it comes to gear how it performs in a get off is critical to me. Do they tell you the denier of the fabric? Is there real armor? Do they promote based on price?

I just can't imagine going to the expense of this sport and then cutting costs on my protection. If it weren't for high quality gear I'd likely be dead. Dress for the get off, please.

I bought my girlfriend some pants, boots, gloves, and while I was there I couldn't resist a jacket for myself. Her boots look identicle to my Alpinestars. I paid $220 for mine, $70 for hers. I also got there winter gloves for $40. They fit great except the thumb is about a 1/2" too long. Makes it a little hard to control radio, blinkers. The jacket I bought is the Sedici brand and I think it is well made. I have some Olympia and Firstgear and it seems to be on par as far as material goes. You can't beat the price and Cycle Gear has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like it, take it back.

It is definately worth trying. Is it a $500 jacket? NO. But for $129 daily commuter jacket, I'm smiling.

I bought a pair of their waterproof gloves. They were reasonably waterproof, but the leather was very thin. You get what you pay for or less.

There are quite a few opinions HERE , and HERE , and other links I read said things like *Is Cycle Gear becoming the Walmart of Motorcycle Gear?* One guy mentioned that someone's jacket sleeve opened up on a low speed get off.

It is odd that motorcyclists as a group are wary of cheap chinese "knock-off" motorcycles and some of us would only buy American-made machines, yet we are not afraid of cheap, chinese "knock-off" motorcycle clothing.

The UK magazine RiDE take apparel on test to a lab. After the comfort, usability and waterproofing tests, they put a sample of the leather or textile on an abrasive belt to see how long it takes to wear through. They then take a second sample with a seam , clamp it down and force air underneath to test the pressure at which the stitching of the seam bursts. Some very beautiful, very expensive leather suits have failed the seam burst test.... and some inexpensive suits have done well.

As others have said before, use gear worthy of the speeds at which you are riding and dress for the get-off.

John

I bought a pair of their waterproof gloves. They were reasonably waterproof, but the leather was very thin. You get what you pay for or less.

Also bought a pair of Cyclegear Bilt waterproof gloves... they were not. Storm Waterproof Motorcycle Gloves at 29.99. Return process was less than stellar. I asked for a replacement pair giving them the benefit that it was a one-off issue. Email was responded to quickly, was told shipping label would follow by email... it came 2 weeks later after I emailed asking about it. Shipped gloves with email string and instruction to send replacements, and 3 weeks later got a call that I'd have to be refunded for the original and then authorize a new purchase for the replacements. With just a little frustration I said never mind the new authorization, I'd just go with the refund. The refund came faster than either the return label or the phone call. Maybe that says something?

It is odd that motorcyclists as a group are wary of cheap chinese "knock-off" motorcycles and some of us would only buy American-made machines, yet we are not afraid of cheap, chinese "knock-off" motorcycle clothing.

I'm with you and normally avoid Chinese made gear like the plague. There are, though, a few exceptions. When I just started to ride and didn't know better, I bought a pair of Chinese made boots and a tag bag under the brand name Xelement. They are superb, particularly given the price. The boots saved my foot when I dropped the bike on it during a safety course.

I have a little different take on the matter. I have never had a modular helmet and didn't know if I would feel "good" in one. I didn't want to spend the big bucks to find out so I bought a Bilt modular helmet for I think 125 on sale. I like the concept and will now look for a Shoei or something that fits my big fat head. I will keep the bilt for pillions or whatever. Oh, the bilt fit me well if a little tight (ok); has a nice drop down lever operated shade and was not very noisy. I can see that the drop down shade is a good thing even if you are wearing dark glasses as sometimes it is very very bright out on the road especially in the Nevada desert, which is another thing I wanted to find out because when I was looking at the helmets, Shoei didn't have the shade.

I have a pair of SIDI Canyon Gore-Tex for winter riding... so I don't mind spending the money.(now $350 bux) I also bought a pair of Bilt Trackstar leather boots for the summer (they are perforated) I used them all summer, they have a 5 year warranty.. I don't think they are up to the supreme quality of the SIDI boots.. but would I buy them again? in a heartbeat. (and I ride with others that have them) Do I think they would protect my feet in a crash? yeah, as best as a lighter weight perforated hot weather boot could.

On the site they're are 56 user posted reviews and they now have a 4.2 out of 5 rating.

I also nbought a pair of Sedici perforated leather lightweight gloves (but with knuckle guards) and also used them all summer and are still fine, no separations, etc...

I have a little different take on the matter. I have never had a modular helmet and didn't know if I would feel "good" in one. I didn't want to spend the big bucks to find out so I bought a Bilt modular helmet for I think 125 on sale. I like the concept and will now look for a Shoei or something that fits my big fat head. I will keep the bilt for pillions or whatever. Oh, the bilt fit me well if a little tight (ok); has a nice drop down lever operated shade and was not very noisy. I can see that the drop down shade is a good thing even if you are wearing dark glasses as sometimes it is very very bright out on the road especially in the Nevada desert, which is another thing I wanted to find out because when I was looking at the helmets, Shoei didn't have the shade.

When I shop for a helmet, features and accessories like a sunshade are the last of my concern. I am shopping for crash worthiness as well as fit. I look at if it's snell 2010 approved and the European test standards. This one of the things that led me to buy my Bell Star helmet.... A sunshade, venting or wind noise meants nothing if you on the road bleeding from your head or it induces several G's more to your brain as it hits the ground. Looking at the Built entry level full face and modular helmet I see nothing of a snell certification or even a mention of safety feature other than meeting DOT standards.... But, it's your brain.... Not mine.

I'm simply disappointed in Cycle Gear.

Formerly, the local store was where I went to get tires for my dual sport, and misc. gear -- like an HJC modular helmet and Dainese jacket and winter boots.

Now it's little more than Bilt.

I kvetched about this to the store sub-manager, and he said they were "cutting out the middle man" -- getting store branded items from the same factories that make the name brand stuff.

I don't believe it. Most Bilt gear seems cheesy. Furthermore, I no longer have the opportunity to choose between Fox, Alpinestars, whoever. In many categories, it's Bilt or nothing.

Cycle Gear has lost my business.

Formerly, the local store was where I went to get tires for my dual sport, and misc. gear -- like an HJC modular helmet and Dainese jacket and winter boots.

I kvetched about this to the store sub-manager, and he said they were "cutting out the middle man" -- getting store branded items from the same factories that make the name brand stuff.

I don't believe it. Most Bilt gear seems cheesy. Furthermore, I no longer have the opportunity to choose between Fox, Alpinestars, whoever. In many categories, it's Bilt or nothing.

+1.... every time I go in there it's less name brand, more bilt... Definitely trying to be a motorcycle walmart.

+1.... every time I go in there it's less name brand, more bilt... Definitely trying to be a motorcycle walmart.

Awwww, quit picking on Walmart.

At Walmart I can still buy Apple, Shell, Gillette, DiGiorno, Starbucks, and Fruit of the Loom.

If Walmart was Cycle Gear I would only be able to buy a Bilt music player, Bilt oil, Bilt razors, Bilt frozen pizza, Bilt coffee, and Bilt underwear.

Cycle Gear is becoming the ULTIMATE bottom feeder.

Awwww, quit picking on Walmart.

At Walmart I can still buy Apple, Shell, Gillette, DiGiorno, Starbucks, and Fruit of the Loom.

If Walmart was Cycle Gear I would only be able to buy a Bilt music player, Bilt oil, Bilt razors, Bilt frozen pizza, Bilt coffee, and Bilt underwear.

Cycle Gear is becoming the ULTIMATE bottom feeder.

I recently bought a Shoei helmet ( RF1100 ) at Cycle Gear. I have bought several things there over the past few years. Over half of the helmets in stock were BILT brand. 90% of the riding apparel was BILT brand and what was not seemed to be more of clearance type items waiting for a home. Most of the Gloves were BILT and I gotta say they looked VERY cheap in the way they were stitched up. Tried a few pair on ( they are DIRT cheap..) but none fit well. Thumb would be too short while fingers too long, etc. I would patronize a shop that stocked Olympia, Joe Rocket, First Gear and a few other brands. I do try to buy that kinda stuff locally. I won't be buying any BILT products.....

Thanks everyone for your comments on this. I almost purchased a BiLT 3 season jacket from CG mainly out of cost reasons. Not many places you can get a 3 season jacket and pants for $250, but again from what it seems, you get what you pay for. Guess I will just save my pennies for something else.

Guess I will just save my pennies for something else.

Subscribe to the classifieds thread. You would be surprised what high quality and very well maintained stuff you can buy from the members of this Forum. I have found that most BMW geeks usually keep their stuff in VERY good condition.

Guess I will just save my pennies for something else.

Subscribe to the classifieds thread. You would be surprised what high quality and very well maintained stuff you can buy from the members of this Forum. I have found that most BMW geeks usually keep their stuff in VERY good condition.

Agreed. I have picked up two jackets here, each in great shape, each at less than half of retail.

I check there often but I guess I am odd size, 68 inches tall, 175#. I am either too short, too small or too big. Yet that does not stop me from looking though :-)

I check there often but I guess I am odd size, 68 inches tall, 175#. I am either too short, too small or too big. Yet that does not stop me from looking though :-)

Patience grasshopper.......

Archived