IGNORED

Kenwood TK-3207

dannys

Not sure if the 3207 is still sold in the US now..?

I can give you some first hand on a couple of GMRS radios.

Kenwood TK-3131 (aka TK-3130): I have used this thru my Autocom Active Plus and the range and reception is very good. Autocom supports this radio with cables. http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/kenwood/kenwood-tk-3131.aspx (Note that they will actually ship you a TK-3130 which is re-programmed to be a 3131, since Kenwood disc. the 3131)

Icom IC-F4011 : I also use this on one of my bikes, has a full 4 watts if needed (not really needed). Excellent sound, range, and build quality. It is also supported thru Autocom with cables.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/icom/ic-f4011-41.aspx

If/when my Kenwood dies, I will replace it with an Icom IC-F4011. I have bought both radios thru the link listed; no personal interest, just a satisfied customer. Coincidentally they are located 20 miles from my house and I have always dropped by and bought the radios direct. Nice folks.

If you are looking at those $60 radios on Ebay, be careful. They are in Hong Kong and according to the box the charger is a 220V input, not 110V. Also don't know for sure if it has the standard wiring for the US-sold Kenwoods so Autocom cables will work. Batteries are NiCad, old technology, and don't last very long. Kenwoods & Icom are Nimh and LIon.

Also--even though it covers the frequency range for GMRS, it doesn't say that those channels have been programmed into it. If not, it will cost you to have that done, IF you can get someone to do it. There are other features that must also be programmed into it for it to function properly. They are often sold un-programmed unless specified differently. Programming yourself requires special software and a computer interface cable, probably around $100 for both.

Reading the specs on each of these units I notice that the Icom has a screw on antennae which in my books is a big bonus. I expect there are alternative higher gain antennas available that will increase the range of the unit.

Reading the specs on each of these units I notice that the Icom has a screw on antennae which in my books is a big bonus. I expect there are alternative higher gain antennas available that will increase the range of the unit.

Yes, there are. However, I opted for the shorter 2" antenna so it would easily fit in my tank bag, and the range is still excellent. The dealer swapped out the longer one for it at no extra charge. Running at 1 watt with the short ant., the range is very sufficient for riding. The unit has an aluminum chassis and is built like a tank--very nice for the price. The LIon battery will last for a long day of yakking, but there is also an alkaline battery pack for a few bucks more for backup--put 4 alk's in it.

Archived