IGNORED

mixing tires

chip6700

i have metzeler me880 tires. the front is shot and the rear has just a couple of thousand miles. was thinking of putting something a little cheaper on and was wondering about getting a michelin pr2 front. does anyone know if this is an issue.

I have never ever got a good answer on this. Often the front and back treads on motorcycle tires are mirror images and are not the same anyway. I have contacted manufacturers for an explanation but have always got the engineer runaround and no satisfactory explanation.

From my perspective, I don't see a problem unless the tires are so different in performance that one slides well before the other.

Afternoon Chip

Mixing tire construction/compound/brand on a motorcycle is a hit & miss thing.

For the most part it is a non-issue but there are always the exceptions. It's one of those things that you really won't know until you try it.

I have mixed tire brands & construction for years without any major issues but I sure haven't tried to mix & match all the combinations that are available.

Not only are you potentially mixing construction & possibly types but also using new tread on one end with worn tread on the other.

About your only option is to try it & if it doesn't feel right or presents handling issues then replace the other end with a like construction tire.

Just be careful until you have good feel for what the tire mismatch is doing to your handling & braking equality.

I ended up having to replace my front on the R1100RT while on a trip this summer. Blue Moon Cycle installed a Metzeler Z8 on the front. After I got home, I noticed a screw had punctured the rear and the only tire available was a Metzeler 880. It was pure luck; but I have the best combination on the bike I have ever run.

I think it is a crap shoot and sometimes you get very lucky.

I have contacted manufacturers for an explanation but have always got the engineer runaround and no satisfactory explanation.

Engineers seldom make definitive statements regarding things they haven't tested.

There's not a lot of motivation for an engineer at one company to test his tires combined with those from another. It would be more likely they'd first test combinations of that same company's different models.

In any event, it's reasonable to assume that front/rear tire combinations are tested for compatibility within the same make/model and therefore reasonable to assume that's all you'll see recommended.

BTW, I'd think there should be hesitation regarding even mixing a well used tire on one end of bike with a new one on the other, same make/model or not. Square tire here, round tire there, that is.

So, if you can't understand engineers, you should trust them anyway. The fact tech data sometimes doesn't translate well to novice understanding doesn't make it a runaround.

There are a couple of threads below and all came to the same conclusion. No manufacturer or dealer will say Aye or Nay on mixing tires due to the litigious nature of modern America. Most riders do not see any problem mixing them. I had to mix a Metzler and Michelin tire on one 2 month bike trip and never had a problem.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=58983&Number=652786#Post652786

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=63726&Number=708327#Post708327

i have metzeler me880 tires. the front is shot and the rear has just a couple of thousand miles. was thinking of putting something a little cheaper on and was wondering about getting a michelin pr2 front. does anyone know if this is an issue.

Since you're that close to wear on the rear, I highly recommend you replace both now. PR2's are good, but I've read great reviews on the new PR3's. I may even replace my RoadSmarts with them on my 12RT next time around.

Bottom line is, if you're that close between front & rear, replace them both.

Normally I would say yes, but the ME880 Rear is a hard as a rock, wet weather beware mileage king. I'd replace 'em both if it was me.

Don't mix a bias and a radial.

Some siping patterns front are different and will puddle water at your rear wheel if you get it wrong.

Some tires heat up faster than others.

That enuf?

MB>

First off, you might do a quick calculation of $$ per mile before assuming the 880 is more expensive. They may cost more but if they run enough miles they could be costing less per mile when compared other types of tires.

I currently have an ME880 on the front and a Brdigestone Sport Max on the rear of my RT and don't notice any problems in handling. I'm pretty partial to the 880s because they seem to be the balance of performance and mileage. As soon as the Sport Max is shot, I will replace it with an ME880. I'm only using it because a friend of mine tried it on a K bike for a few hundred miles and did not like it. He then sold it to me for $50 Other tires may handle better and still others may last longer, but for my $$ the ME880s are my favorites.

---

MB>

Afternoon mbelectric

Why not? -- I have mixed bias with radial without issues as well as Harley doing it from the factory.

Probably not the desired thing to do without a bit of caution but it will work just fine without issue on certain radial/bias match-ups.

---

MB>

Afternoon mbelectric

Why not? -- I have mixed bias with radial without issues as well as Harley doing it from the factory.

Probably not the desired thing to do without a bit of caution but it will work just fine without issue on certain radial/bias match-ups.

Ditto. The original BMW F650 came with bias belted front/radial rear. On my R1200GS my choice is a bias-belted ME880 front with a radial Tourance/Anakee/PR3 rear.

Easy boys and sorry, didn't mean to stir up the pot in a tire thread. Run what ya want, you'll get NO argument from me. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, or ALL.

Suffice to say, handling. At high speeds. Contact patch areas will differ at lean angles and braking...yes, I said braking.

Have either of you hit the binders at high speed on your mixed set? Not to mention suspension doesn't work the same...

Maybe I spend more time at higher speeds on the sides of my tires than some. Been there, done that, I don't mix types, not even brands. I like manufacturers choices for sets. Don't feel the need to mix. Seems other issues are a factor if ya have to. I'll really shock you and tell ya that sometimes I replace BOTH at the same time EVEN if I don't need both.

I'm crazy like that. :wave:

MB>

----I don't mix types, not even brands. I like manufacturers choices for sets. Don't feel the need to mix---

Morning MB

That kind of says it all. Maybe if you tried running mixed tires you would have some past experience to judge from.

Guess I should have said "I have tried mixing tires"...

And I'll add that I've run tires at speeds most of you dream about. On many types of vehicles, two and four wheeled variety.

Now THAT really says it.

Go back and read again. I HAVE NO problems with anybody running anything they want. In any fashion or manner. Just sharing info that adds to the mix.

With that, I'll bow out of this thread... I have no interest in quantifying my experience to anyone. Don't need to.

Cheers,

MB>

When I bought my 05 RT, the selling dealer had just put on a new Michelin PR2 in the rear.

The front was a still very good Michelin PR (not PR2).

The bike felt VERY squirrely to me, like I had a very low tire in the rear.

I contacted Michelin and told them my story and they responded that they STRONGLY advise AGAINST mixing PR and PR2.

I showed this to the dealer, and they offered me a new PR2 for the front for just the mounting cost.

Done deal!

Problem solved.

YMMV

Easy boys and sorry, didn't mean to stir up the pot in a tire thread. Run what ya want, you'll get NO argument from me. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, or ALL.

Suffice to say, handling. At high speeds. Contact patch areas will differ at lean angles and braking...yes, I said braking.

Have either of you hit the binders at high speed on your mixed set? Not to mention suspension doesn't work the same...

Maybe I spend more time at higher speeds on the sides of my tires than some. Been there, done that, I don't mix types, not even brands. I like manufacturers choices for sets. Don't feel the need to mix. Seems other issues are a factor if ya have to. I'll really shock you and tell ya that sometimes I replace BOTH at the same time EVEN if I don't need both.

I'm crazy like that. :wave:

MB>

It is indeed very generous of you to allow us to "ride what ya want." But isn't the very purpose of your post to tell us we are persons of incomplete comprehension for not taking your advice?

I also find myself at a loss to work through the logic of "What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, or ALL" Doesn't your term "ALL" include everybody?

Must be my aged brain which operates at a speed slower than anything you can even dream of sometimes.

Ben

Ben

It is indeed very generous of you to allow us to "ride what ya want." But isn't the very purpose of your post to tell us we are persons of incomplete comprehension for not taking your advice?

I also find myself at a loss to work through the logic of "What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, or ALL" Doesn't your term "ALL" include everybody?

Must be my aged brain which operates at a speed slower than anything you can even dream of sometimes.

Ben

Ben

I believe what mbelectric is trying to say is:

The closer one gets to either the riders limits or the motorcycles limits or the tyres limits, the more important it is that the tyres are matched.

It would appear that mbelectric's attitude is formed by the fact that he gets quite close to one or more of those limits quite frequently. That might not apply to many other folks on this board.

HTH,

John

Ben

Ben

I believe what mbelectric is trying to say is:

The closer one gets to either the riders limits or the motorcycles limits or the tyres limits, the more important it is that the tyres are matched.

It would appear that mbelectric's attitude is formed by the fact that he gets quite close to one or more of those limits quite frequently. That might not apply to many other folks on this board.

HTH,

John

Now I understand. He says if you go fast, you should have good tires. Learn something new every day. Makes better sense when not presented in a self-aggrandizing post.

Ben

It is indeed very generous of you to allow us to "ride what ya want." But isn't the very purpose of your post to tell us we are persons of incomplete comprehension for not taking your advice? Ben

The only comprehension required and the only comprehension that's meaningful is following advice of tire and motorcycle manufacturers.

None of them, BTW, post on forums like this, and if you're looking to forums like this for viable engineering data you're very much in the wrong place. You may get your desired "permission" but it's only in your imagination that it's meaningful. Lots worse has occured in the name of convenience, cheapness, etc., of course, but again that doesn't make it valid.

Manufacturer data is data based on testing of products designed by them, and any "testing results" provided by anybody else--usually a sample of one--is anecdotal and meaningless.

You won't be able to find extensive testing by an independent entity, e.g. a motorcycle magazine, on this topic, either. Nobody with intelligence and interest in their own self preservation is going to contradict the designer/manufacturer of a tire or bike.

Should BMW have mixed tires on a particular model, that's the result of engineering testing for that model only--zero reason to believe that evidence translates to any other models.

No, you have to pay to play, and you have two choices: become a highly educated engineer with lots of design/test resources at hand or follow the specifications set by those who are and have them.

Tires, and oil, and choosing which motorcycle to buy -- oh my. I too live in a different universe at times. What was the Superman comics world? I have had fellow University people frequently straight out state lies as facts, so opinion differences in this forum are just refreshing to me since they have some basis in reality. I have mixed tires with good results mostly but there were exceptions that seemed mostly to depend on differences in outside diameters on cars and on different tread types and depths on motorcycles? If there were problems I fixed them and moved on. Just be cautious.

Usually I follow the "book". Does anyone remember that you should not ride your 1150RT above 80 mph with the panniers on according to the "book"? I actually followed that for awhile???? As it says in the kids book, "go and find out". Panniers appear to work just fine at 110 mph, plugged tires have never let me down, any brand of oil seems to work up to 2,000 miles, and spark plugs do not have to be replaced very often, there is not actually a tooth fairy, televangelists often seem to live in very big houses, many people are overpaid for what they do and vice versa.

Archived