IGNORED

Motorcycle Transport Recommendations?

Curve Hunter

Planning a trip to the Maritimes. Time/work means I need to transport my 1200RT from Los Angeles to Boston and meet with others there for the rest of the trip and the ride home. Anyone have recommendations or warnings concerning transport companies? All comments welcome. Please respond to "onedeu@att.net."

Many Thanks!

There are many motorcycle transport companies around as you have probably seen if you've done an internet search. I've used Federal once and Covered Vehicle Transport twice and have no complaints with either one. Some companies (like Federal) strap your bike to a pallet which makes transferring to another vehicle easier if that proves necessary. Others (like CVT) will usually strap your bike down once and there it stays until it is offloaded. Many/most companies will only give you an estimated delivery date because they pick up and offload vehicles along the way to your destination. Although this was the case each time I've transported a bike, delivery was actually earlier than estimated each time.

Thanks for the information. You're right, the internet is flooded with companies that'll handle your motorcycle. I'll check out both companies you've used.

Thanks again!

about a yr ago i bought a used 05 r1200rt in ohio and had it shipped to los angeles, it was palletized, shipped enclosed thru allied/federal shipping lines, they were the cheapest and best rate i could find, i have since learned that the shipping/hauling industry is a real can of worms, hope this helped, good luck

I used Allied (Funtransport.com) to ship a bike from Florida.

Somehow, the LH driver footpeg got broken in transit. I had the driver note it at delivery and called their insurance company. I had a check for the full amount (no deductible insurance) + postage to have shipped - nearest Ducati dealer is 125 miles away. They promptly took care of the problem, so I would use them again.

Also, they give a discount for AMA membership and I got an even better one for my HOG membership. I think the AMA discount is 10% and HOG was 15.

Archived