IGNORED

Autocom powered TK-3101

johnlt

I have two Autocom SuperPro AVI units and two Kenwood TK-3101s that I have been using between bikes. Each radio has the faux battery pack that allows the Autocom to supply power to the radio so I don't have to mess with batteries. They have worked well for several years but recently I checked and the autocom is supplying a full 12V to the radio. It takes 7.2 volt batteries so I had concerns with their longevity. I just made mods to both faux pack in inserting a NTE964 voltage regulater and now they supply just 8V which works great. Simple install with just a few clipped wires and three solder joints. All fits into the faux battery pack including the heat sync so you don't see a thing. FYI

I have two Autocom SuperPro AVI units and two Kenwood TK-3101s that I have been using between bikes. Each radio has the faux battery pack that allows the Autocom to supply power to the radio so I don't have to mess with batteries. They have worked well for several years but recently I checked and the autocom is supplying a full 12V to the radio. It takes 7.2 volt batteries so I had concerns with their longevity. I just made mods to both faux pack in inserting a NTE964 voltage regulater and now they supply just 8V which works great. Simple install with just a few clipped wires and three solder joints. All fits into the faux battery pack including the heat sync so you don't see a thing. FYI

Do you have a pic of this mod? I have the same set up (autocom avi and kenwood w/battery elim). I've never been concerned, but maybe I should be.

Here it is. The aluminum is the heat sync with the voltage regulator bolted to it. The left pin is +12V in, the center is ground in and out, and the right pin is +8V out.

DSC0687-XL.jpg

Probably a safe thing to do, however lots of modern electronic devices will operate on a "minimum" voltage and anything ABOVE minimum, up to, say 16, 24, or 32 volts. "Maybe" the TK's are one of these, but then again.....

Maybe the Autocom guru will check in here.

Great job on the mod. I've yet to take apart a powered radio interface.

I haven't looked into the voltage tolerance for the Kenwood radios, but I haven't heard of any power related issues with the Autocom. Your's may be the first directly related to input voltage. I know that I wouldn't try and draw enough current to be running a long 4-watt TX through the 24 ga wires and PCB traces on the Autocom.

I do remember reading about troubles with people using the wrong interface with older Autocom units. The Logic and Super Pro Auto provide unregulated power straight through the board to the AUX connector. Whatever the voltage on the power input is the voltage on the AUX. Previous versions provided regulated 9V.

Archived