IGNORED

Extended warranty coverage XtraRide Powersports

yellojakit

My factory warranty will soon end on my 09 k1300gt. I am thinking about purchasing XtraRide Powersports extended coverage, a Protective insurance, for an additional 36 mo. worth of coverage. Anyone have this coverage or can comment on its reliability? Thx.......

My factory warranty will soon end on my 09 k1300gt. I am thinking about purchasing XtraRide Powersports extended coverage, a Protective insurance, for an additional 36 mo. worth of coverage. Anyone have this coverage or can comment on its reliability? Thx.......

I have no experience with XtraRide Powersports extended coverage. However, I have been very satisfied with the extended warranty I purchased from Interstate through my dealer. I've had to use it several times and they haven't refused coverage.

Conventional wisdom says extended warranties are not worth it. Too many exclusions, too many stipulations, too many loopholes for the company to get out of paying. If you're dead set on getting one, better get the policy in hand and read ALL the fine print. There will be a lot of it. Make sure its the *actual* policy, not a shortened explanation of it. Then make an informed decision.

And ask yourself these questions:

What does it cost?

What does it cover (what does it exclude)?

Is there a deductible I have to pay for each repair?

Will I really keep this bike for 3 more years?

Is it transferable? Is there a fee for this?

Does all maintenance (oil changes etc) have to be done by a dealer?

etc.

I have read 2 policies in the last few years, just for kicks. There were so many ways they could get out of paying it was almost criminal. YMMV.

Conventional wisdom says extended warranties are not worth it. Too many exclusions, too many stipulations, too many loopholes for the company to get out of paying. If you're dead set on getting one, better get the policy in hand and read ALL the fine print. There will be a lot of it. Make sure its the *actual* policy, not a shortened explanation of it. Then make an informed decision.

And ask yourself these questions:

What does it cost?

What does it cover (what does it exclude)?

Is there a deductible I have to pay for each repair?

Will I really keep this bike for 3 more years?

Is it transferable? Is there a fee for this?

Does all maintenance (oil changes etc) have to be done by a dealer?

etc.

I have read 2 policies in the last few years, just for kicks. There were so many ways they could get out of paying it was almost criminal. YMMV.

I agree that you need to know what you're actually buying. I don't normally buy extended warrantees either. In my case, I knew I was going to keep the bike for a while and the OEM warranty only lasted me 18 months. Considering the rate at which I was racking up miles and the cost of a major repair on my RT, I felt the cost of the extended warranty had a favorable risk/reward ratio. As they say, YMMV. I'm assuming the OP is planning to keep his GT for quite a while; if not, I would advise against purchasing an extended warranty. I just had the fuel pump assembly on mt RT replaced due to cracking around the outlet. The extended warranty covered parts and labor with no deductable involved. I purchased my extended warranty from my dealer so they handled dealing with the warranty company.

this is not advertising... this is information...

I suggest you contact Max BMW and ask for the lady that does extended warranties. When I bought my R1200RT I did and can say the process was smooth, she readily sent the actual policy via email and the price was fair. I never filed a claim but the deal was good enough to recommend them. Exclusions were few and specific inclusions were what I wanted.

ive got an extended warranty when i bought my 07 rt,ive used it three times with no problems,if youre planning on keeping the bike for more then warranty period now days i feel an extended warranty is worth it.just my opinion but with repair costs and the electronics now prices add up fast,i agree you should check real careful on whats covered ,but its like insurance you hope you dont need it but if you do its there

Archived