IGNORED

Bike Detergent

OK, silly question #342.

For a decade I have being using Castrol Greentec to wash my bikes. Lately it has become not only incredibly expensive, but also very hard to find. Two years ago I bought a whole box and now I am down to the last drops in the last bottle so it's time to look for a replacement.

I have a choice of various products from Meguiar's, Scholl and 3M. They are all cheaper than Castrol so price is not an issue.

Advice? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Before settling for the Castrol I tried a number of off the shelf solutions but was far from impressed with them.

Have tried the S100 metal polish but wasn't exactly satisfied with it. Will look up their car wash though. :)

People wash their bikes regularly? Had mine two years and I think I've washed it twice and it's a daily rider. :) :) When I did wash it, I just some cheap auto wash stuff that I had, nothing fancy.

Any purpose-made car wash product will do a good job. The product choice is not critical.

+1. Simple Green works quite well too.

ditto and i also have used dish detergent as well. doesn't take much and my hands look beatiful afterwards :clap:

Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water... lots of suds, and it cuts through grease... I've never had a problem. Rinses well too.

Destroys wax, too.

Destroys wax, too.

The whole surface of the bike's tupperware is only a few square feet, I don't mind re-waxing if she is squeeky clean... and we are only talking a couple of times a year... no permanent damage to the plastics.

For several years and a few bikes I've used S100 for quick washes, and a name-brand car wash liquid for full bucket-sponge baths. If the bike is exceptionally dirty and has gritty grunge, I do a wash with S100 to get the abrasives off first, then a full bucket-sponge wash.

Since I don't actually wash her that often I can afford the S100. And I'm trying a bottle of Griot's car wash which is working very well indeed.

pete

Joe Frickin' Friday
Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water... lots of suds, and it cuts through grease... I've never had a problem. Rinses well too.

Destroys wax, too.

If the bike is waxed on a regular basis, dirt and bugs don't stick very well, and you don't need a really agressive soap to get it clea.

I use regular car-washing soap most times, but eventually the wax gets a little thin, and stuff starts sticking more tenaciously. If I'm going to wax it (usually 2-3 times per season), then I'll wash with Dawn dishwashing soap to strip off everything - grease, wax, bugs, whatever.

My bikes and cars are indeed well waxed and therefor I never need any detergent to clean them.

Biggest thing to know about washing bikes/cars when there's lots of dirt is to NEVER wipe them clean--rather brush them clean. Might as well use sandpaper if you're going to rub the suface.

hand-held-wash-brush-6f327ebc.jpg

I'm with RT John. Let it rain. The beauty of have a bike with a dull paint job, the 800ST, is that it as good dirty as clean.

One run from Wrightwood to La Canada with ice melt on the roads negates any cleaning I may have done previously.

The bike doesn't go any faster or get better mileage clean and who is some fat old geezer on a shiny BMWRT going to impress?

Thanks again for the replies. I found a few offers for Meguiar's shampoo on eBay and I think I'll take that up. 45€ for a gallon of concentrated detergent is a pretty good price considering a good pre-mixed is no less than 12€ per liter.

Also if it can be of any interest I recently started using Menzerna SF4000 polish (also sold as PO106FA). This stuff is simply phenomenal!

Archived