IGNORED

Help me protect my wife's hands -

szurszewski

because they may need to support me!

All kidding aside, my wife needs some new riding gloves. She has been soldiering on with a pair of supposedly waterproof but never really quite so Frank Thomas gloves purchased years ago at Cycle Gear. I've been trying to convince her to get something new, but she's pretty frugal and hasn't been interested.

So, she's getting something new for Valentine's Day. It's a bit tricky though, as she's a vegetarian and doesn't wear anything made from a dead animal. Other than that, the only real requirements are that they be really waterproof (as much as a glove can be - she commutes year round on her Vespa and we live in Portland), and come in a pretty small size.

Normally, I'd throw in a budget constraint as well, but this year finds me in the middle of working two jobs while trying to start my own business and she has been picking up all the slack at home. I suppose I should get her something romantic, but I'm going to get in enough trouble for stretching our tight budget to buy something she needs... and, let's face it: she's a baker, and if my new business fails, our ability to pay the mortgage and buy food is pretty much literally in her hands :dopeslap: .

The only thing I've found so far are some kevlar gloves from Motoport - I think they are pretty great, but she'd probably prefer something a little less ... um... motorcycle looking, if that makes sense.

Help me out, please - I don't need to be able to get them by Tuesday, but I'd like to at least be able to give her a picture of what's on the way.

(ps - and, it's pretty important that I get a good gift this year since I'll be working my first official day of my new self-created job Valentine's Day evening)

thanks,

josh

Those are in the running, and would allow me to buy her some less-warm less-weather resistant gloves, which she could wear -mostly- year round.

Potential problems that have kept me from ordering those in the past are that they are likely going to be pretty big over her gloves (she wears a women's S or XS if she can find it), and that she would balk at the idea of something so, em, dorky looking. Of course, she balked at the idea of having an apron and gauntlets on her scooter until I bought a set and put them on there. She still thinks they look stupid, but she asked me to put them back on this winter and hasn't asked me take them back off yet. :thumbsup:

If she has really small hands that can be a concern. And you say she's frugal and wants waterproof?

When I first started riding I slipped dishwashing gloves over my motorcycle gloves when it rained. They were perfectly waterproof, cheap, easily replaced and that bright yellow color was eye catching ;)

There is no two ways about it They just work 100%. Sure, they don't have that designer look but after six years use I can promise you they won't let a drop of water through onto your wife's hands/inner gloves

I wore waterproof, Hotfingers ski gloves for my winter rides for about 10 years. I don't know if Hotfingers are still available, but ski wear may be worth considering.

(mine were purchased in 1976 for skiing; just wore out two years ago with use on the bike.)

Thanks for the replies so far - here are my thoughts on your thoughts:

Held gloves -

I'd love to get her a pair (and maybe one for me as well), but as far as I can tell, they all have leather on them somewhere (which tends to be a problem - even the gloves I've found that don't use leather for structural purposes have leather accents or whatever).

Aerostich Vegans -

I've looked at them before, and might get her a pair, but the general consensus seems to be that they are not waterproof...so if I do that, I'll need some covers as well.

"dual purpose" overglove -

Hmm...her slight bit of vanity might outweigh her frugality as far as the dishwashing gloves. Also, that would make, I think, for a dangerous Valentine's gift. :rofl:

Rain-Off overgloves -

These paired (ha) with a new pair of gloves (maybe the Aerostich Vegans) might just do the trick. Also, I notice that I type this it's already Valentine's Day in NZ, so I'd better get going on whatever I'm doing.

ski gloves -

I'm trying to get her a bit more protection than that - though her current gloves were probably not any better than ski gloves to begin with and are less-so now.

SealSkinz -

I used to wear their socks for kayaking, and while I found them to be waterproof for awhile, and still warm even after that (with appropriate socks underneath), they had some downsides. Perhaps the lack of total immersion and salt would make them last longer as moto gloves though. They do have the plus of being made here, which she would appreciate.

Thanks for all the ideas so far - if anyone has anything else to add, it will be appreciated also.

josh

Held gloves -

I'd love to get her a pair (and maybe one for me as well), but as far as I can tell, they all have leather on them somewhere (which tends to be a problem - even the gloves I've found that don't use leather for structural purposes have leather accents or whatever).

Yeah, that no leather thing is a tough requirement. I absolutely love my Held gloves. They are a little expensive, but they are far and away the best gloves I have ever owned, and are the only gloves I have ever worn that I can honestly say are 100% waterproof.

Another really good option might be something from Motoport. I know they have a few fully synthetic offereings that are listed as waterproof, and if they are Motoport you know they will hold up. Might want to give them a call and see what they have to say.

The model I have was called "The Score". They no longer carry them. I found some pics and descriptions from a Google search, but it looks like they are NLA from anywhere. They are very similar to the "Rainstorm" gloves they currently offer, but had more armor on them. Here is a link

LINK

If she has really small hands that can be a concern. And you say she's frugal and wants waterproof?

When I first started riding I slipped dishwashing gloves over my motorcycle gloves when it rained. They were perfectly waterproof, cheap, easily replaced and that bright yellow color was eye catching ;)

How long do you have to be married before you can give your wife dishwashing gloves for a present? How much longer will you be married if you do?

-----

How long do you have to be married before you can give your wife dishwashing gloves for a present? How much longer will you be married if you do?

-----

I might be able to get away with actually as I am the primary dishwasher in our family these days.

Any thoughts on Alpinestars gloves? They have a few in their Stella line that are listed as waterproof and don't mention any leather (I've got an email in to them to confirm this), but I don't know anything about their products.

Obviously I'll google around on it, but I'm getting a little overwhelmed with glove reviews and such... :S

Ask Ted Porter of Beemershop.

Minimum should be

kevlar knuckle protection

pinkie finger sewn to next finger

kangaroo on palm

$200

See for example BMW DoubleR

"kangaroo on palm" Out

Indeed.

If she won't eat or wear something as mundane as a cow, she'd be really upset if I gave her a glove made from something "cute" like a kangaroo.

Any thoughts on Alpinestars gloves? They have a few in their Stella line that are listed as waterproof and don't mention any leather (I've got an email in to them to confirm this), but I don't know anything about their products.

Obviously I'll google around on it, but I'm getting a little overwhelmed with glove reviews and such... :S

For future reference to anyone who might dig this up later, a super quick reply from Alpinestars confirms that the Stella Messenger, Stella Radiant and Stella WR-V are all "dead animal free."

Jes means they were alive when we skinned 'em.

:/

Hmm - there's an idea.

Can anyone think of a small, warm, waterproof animal I could procure for my wife, which she could then train to ride on her hands and keep them warm and dry? Perhaps a small colony (not sure what the proper collective noun for them is) of sugar gliders?

I loved the fit and feel of two past Held gloves with 'roo skin palms, Profi's and then Sprints, but they do not have the durability to justify their price. Both sets failed at roughly 4,000 miles of riding, with Held USA saying they were not worth repairing. And my Profis required a stitching repair under warranty (which is fine but it took over six weeks to do the job). I'm not buying Held again. Durability is part of the premium I'm expecting.

I'm trying Lee Parks uninsulated deer-and-elk gloves right now. They feel less protective but he argues otherwise and I agree with his stitching philosophy. Oh, and +1 for Triple-Digit overgloves for your wife. I use those on wet cold days along with electric Gerbing G3's. Work great.

Have a pair of Alpine stars WR-1 (according to the label). Had them for 6 years, no idea of the cost though.

No mention on the label of any leather, but a couple of small panels that look suspiciously like they may be

of animal origin.

That aside I find them very warm and waterproof (Goretex lining) but, a little on the bulky side, and not

overy sturdy. I tend to use them only on the coldest / wettest days now, due to their bulk.

Looking online appears that model is no longer made, but if they do a vegan version it should do the job.

Have a pair of Alpine stars WR-1 (according to the label). Had them for 6 years, no idea of the cost though.

No mention on the label of any leather, but a couple of small panels that look suspiciously like they may be

of animal origin.

That aside I find them very warm and waterproof (Goretex lining) but, a little on the bulky side, and not

overy sturdy. I tend to use them only on the coldest / wettest days now, due to their bulk.

Looking online appears that model is no longer made, but if they do a vegan version it should do the job.

Thanks - that's very useful.

According to a bit of googling, the WR-1 (and the WR-2) have leather reinforced palms. One of the gloves I was looking at in their Stella line is the WR-V , which, according to Alpinestars customer service, is leather free.

Of the three Stella models that are leather free, the WR-V is by far the most expensive ($130 vs about $50 for the other two options), but it is also the only one with Gore-Tex.

This morning my wife got a box with her old gloves, a note, enough cash to buy the Motoport winter gloves if she likes and her iPad with Safari displaying several tabs showing different "suggestions" on them - now she gets to pick her gloves.

This morning my wife got a box with her old gloves, a note, enough cash to buy the Motoport winter gloves if she likes and her iPad with Safari displaying several tabs showing different "suggestions" on them - now she gets to pick her gloves.

It's safe to say you handled that with kid gloves :grin:

It's safe to say you handled that with kid gloves :grin:

Ba-zing!

(but let's make those *synthetic* kid gloves - ok?)

Archived