IGNORED

Clutch splines, Hubs

PAS

I found this video interesting about another mechanics thoughts on the spline problem. It just get more confusing everyday.

Is the "early" failure of the the splines limited to bikes with the hydraulic clutch? This chap seems to think so. I posted this on the BMWMOA forum also to see the response. We have all heard of the alignment issue, BMW tells us it's all about lubrication and now a third possibility and solution.

It doesnt explain the bikes that go for tens of thousands of miles with no issues at all.

The "F-Bomb" is used early in the video.

http://Affordable-Beemers.smugmug.com/gallery/7385594_wMzrqz#1219137755_5XJZP-A-LB

Morning PAS

Sure, it could be a small part of the many facets adding to the spline wear issue.

Definitely he isn't the first to think of or mention that short engagement & most of us that work on these things have brought this up & talked about it in the past.

In my mind it isn't the main reason the spines are wearing out as all the 1150's have that short spline engagement & not all 1150 splines are wearing out. Some 1150's I have seen go over 100K on the original short engagement splines.

Same with properly repaired trans to engine alignment. On the 1150's that HAVE trashed the clutch splines at low mileage but have had the trans to engine alignment re-aligned (or new front trans cover installed), on the ones that I am familiar with, most have gone high miles without any signs of clutch spline issues.

Obviously within reason the more spline engagement (probably) the longer the splines Sould go before total failure but if misalignment is the root issue it would just buy a bit more time before failure occurs.

Or to put it in prospective-- IF that short spline engagement was the root cause of ALL those early 1150 spline failures then why didn't BMW engineering request & get a slightly longer shaft into late 1150 production? Or the replacement shafts sent out a bit longer?

BMW might be rather poor at communication to the public & in a denial mode publicly but they just aren't that stupid to not have noticed that short spline engagement & ran a few longer ones on a durability test.

PAS

(Big Smile)I know you're snowed in and can't wait to tear into that bike! Man, I hope those splines are shiny new for you. We most only hear of the bad ones. I wonder what per cent they are? How many go for that high mileage with not one problem? We all know people who do no maintenance. It seems like they just ride and ride with no problems. Quien sabe?

Dazzz, One of those high mileage riders did have his clutch replaced and who knows what else was found in the spline department!

PLUS the reply back from BMW MOTORRAD concerning the "annual inspection and spline lube" for oilheads was a fluke. They just said to contact the local dealer with any questions.

Archived