IGNORED

Go Pro HD Camera and brace

stphnchnr

Curious to know how many have invested in HD camera and what your experiences were with cameras?

Seems lots of people pointing me to Go Pro as having longevity and more robust camera over some others.

Would like to know from you the pro and cons of the camera you use.

Also would like to know what brace you used to mount camera.

A search for Go Pro yielded nothing on thread.

My brother-in-law had a Go Pro and he wasn't too impressed, even though picture quality was pretty nice.

I bought a Drift Innovation HD:

hd1701.jpg

Having a screen and remote is a big help for setting up shots and turning the camera on/off on the move. Plus having various resolution settings available, and the ability to rotate the lens to align pictures, finally swayed me in its favour.

I use a specific RAM mount that sits on the brake fluid reservoir. You can see it in this photo, just below the RID and to the right of the tacho.

DSC03154.jpg

I use an extension arm to lift it so I can shoot through the windscreen.

I've been very happy with it so far. The only real problem with that location is the sound -- you mainly get mechanical thrash and clatter in that position. However, you can get an external mike which you could mount elsewhere.

I haven't put many of the videos on the web, but here's one which will give you some idea of the quality:

My brother-in-law like mine so much he bought himself the new Stealth model of the same camera.

I have a number of videos done with a Go Pro on my blog, linked below. The major disadvantage of it is that it's very hard to tell if it's turned on and recording, particularly when it's mounted on my helmet. I've found I get the best results from a helmet mount and a suction mount on the side of the tank. Too much vibration on the bars.

To be honest, I don't think it was worthwhile to get it in the first place. The videos get pretty boring after the first few. The only redeeming thing is that I got it with credit card reward points so didn't actually shell out any cash.

I got my ContourRoam for $89 and am happy with it so far. I am still using the Delkin Gecko suction cup mount until I determine where I want to place more permanent mounts. I think the biggest complaint that I've seen is that the Roam does not shoot at 60fps, which doesn't concern me.

I recently picked up a Go-Pro and have been satisfied with it. Editing is more user friendly with Mac I movie than a Windows machine. Others my differ but that was my experience anyway. Video quality is decent, but the sound is horrid. I mute the sound in editing and bring in music from my I-Tune library. Even with the closed back on the camera holder you'll get wind noise over 60mph. With the closed back your bike will sound like a broken down washing machine. With the open back you will get a more realistic sound, but wind noise will be the show stopper.

I found the mounts to be rather useless so I whipped out my own for the GS. I haven't gotten around to machining one for the RT yet.

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Agree on the wind noise. I use Windows Live Movie Maker and just turn the sound down enough to get a little bit of effect but not an overwhelming amount.

i use my go pro on the track for the track I find it perfect. the only issue I have is that it is a very wide angle lens, perfect for watching myself, but if you need to follow someone, you need to be very close. I have mine mounted on the tail section (perfect for watching body position) and looking to figure out how to mount on front of bike facing towards the rider. I have watched a number of videos by riders of various tracks and with those videos you can get a very good idea of the track. For track use I highly recommend it.

As of yet, I have not used it for a ride. However my unit also takes still shots, so this summer at the UN I will bring it with me and shoot video and still shots. I will have a better idea of it's general functionality then.

I really like the small size and the fact it can mount on my gas tank and I can just point the bike and shoot still shots when needed. Or pop it out of the mount do a still shot or short video and then back in mount and keep on moving. with a 16 gig card it will take around 3 hours of video so I can carry two cards and shoot a whole day. then just edit out 5 - 10 minutes of highlight video to show friends. I think the camera works well if you are skilled in video editing. then you can make a long boring vidco a short highlight reel and that works well.

Thanks for posts and valuable information.

I will keep an eye for other posts just in case any feedback comes in.

I thought sound quality would be impaired by wind noise but considered a snappy tune could overlay video in it's place.

Thinking that further investigation is required with thanks to those who posted notes, video and pics.

I do love video!!

Archived