IGNORED

Suggestions on riding gear

cpayne

I passed the written portion of VA motorcycle license process and received my 30 day learners permit. I also signed up for a two day motorcycle training course at Fort Lee VA for two reasons; One to prepare for the riding portion of the test the other for being able to get onto base with a motorcycle. (Currently in the Reserves).

I have to bring by own Helmet, boots,gloves. Bike optional.

I'm also interested in wet weather gear

Years ago when I rode, helmet was optional, shorts and whatever shoes you had on.

In cold weather, a field jacket with liner and face mask. I have gotten a little soft over the years.

I'm looking for protection, durability and functionality. I would like a helmet with blue tooth and I have looked at some VCAN, and Akuma helmets.

Oh! and did I mention I'm on a budget?

V/r

Charles

Helmets: I don't know the VCAN or Acuma helmets. I would suggest to look at NOLAN helmets. Good quality, bluetooth prepared, not very expensive. Most important in a helmet that it fits well. There are different head shapes and different helmet shapes.

On all three of these items, boots, gloves and helmet, fit is very important, so I would recommend buying in person. Based on that, if I were in your place, I would start visting local shops and work with the staff there to find what you need. Morton's BMW is in Fredericksburg, which is about 60 miles north of you. They are the closest BMW dealer. I would assume there are other non-BMW dealers much closer as well, and hopefully there would be some helpful sales people who could get you fitted up.

You might see the term ATGATT used here, stands for All The Gear, All The Time. Like you, I am one who returned to riding, in my case about two years ago and had no idea what this meant, but now I don't get on the bike without boots, pants with appropriate material and armor, ditto for the jacket and gloves, and then top it off with the helmet. Yes it costs, but if you are unfortunate enough to have an incident, it can reduce the injuries. In my case, I did, and it did.

I'm looking for protection, durability and functionality. I would like a helmet with blue tooth and I have looked at some VCAN, and Akuma helmets.

Oh! and did I mention I'm on a budget?

V/r

Charles

What is your budget?

Helmets: I don't know the VCAN or Acuma helmets. I would suggest to look at NOLAN helmets. Good quality, bluetooth prepared, not very expensive. Most important in a helmet that it fits well. There are different head shapes and different helmet shapes.

I'll check it out. Thanks

I'm in the $700.00 dollar range. If it takes more to not have to upgrade, then I can wait on the rain gear and boots as I can wear my combat boots. I will need helmet and gloves.

On all three of these items, boots, gloves and helmet, fit is very important, so I would recommend buying in person. Based on that, if I were in your place, I would start visting local shops and work with the staff there to find what you need. Morton's BMW is in Fredericksburg, which is about 60 miles north of you. They are the closest BMW dealer. I would assume there are other non-BMW dealers much closer as well, and hopefully there would be some helpful sales people who could get you fitted up.

You might see the term ATGATT used here, stands for All The Gear, All The Time. Like you, I am one who returned to riding, in my case about two years ago and had no idea what this meant, but now I don't get on the bike without boots, pants with appropriate material and armor, ditto for the jacket and gloves, and then top it off with the helmet. Yes it costs, but if you are unfortunate enough to have an incident, it can reduce the injuries. In my case, I did, and it did.

I may ride up Saturday to Fredericksburg and check it out.

I don't plan on riding without protection. I'm a defensive driver by nature, but sometimes the slightest distraction has caused me to not see a motorcycle and be caught by surprise.

This scares me because there are many people that are very distracted by looking at their phones these days.

I'm in the $700.00 dollar range. If it takes more to not have to upgrade, then I can wait on the rain gear and boots as I can wear my combat boots. I will need helmet and gloves.

Gloves: I recommend gauntlet style with cinch at the wrist, armor on knuckles and side palm. In a get off the gloves fly off. That cinch keeps them on. I love HELD gloves. Expect to pay $100+

Jacket: 600 or higher denier fabric with CE armor. I like the Olympia AST and can vouch for it's integrity in a high speed get off. A new jacket is going to cost about $350.

Helmet: You have to go with the brand that fits. My head is round/square and I wear Nolan and HJC. I can vouch for the Nolan flip in a get off - outstanding protection. Keep in mind the most important thing that protects you is a helmet that FITS correctly. $200-$350

Over pants: Again 600 or higher denier fabric with CE armor at hips and knees. I can vouch for First Gear TPG.

Best of luck.

Now, I think I need to shop for a new helmet ;)

I recommend a full-face helmet. A lot of get-offs involve scraping your face along the highway during some portion.

----

What about modular? I came through Durham when I went to pick my 1150RT-P up. Stopped by my brothers. he lives there.

Check out Aerostich they have lots of good products. I know they have great jackets boots and gloves. If you buy quality the product will last for many bike. A friend of mine always told me you can pick the clothes you wear you can not pick the day you go down.

Welcome to the group and know that people here have years of knowledge.

malcolmblalock

I've been riding now for 10 years. In the beginning I bought decent riding gear, but not GOOD stuff. Over time, I've found that it's much better to buy GOOD stuff. It just holds up better as well as gives better protection (falls, weather, etc).

Now, I wish I had gone straight to the GOOD stuff and not spent all that money on decent stuff. I realize that budget is an issue, and it was for me 10 years ago, but with hindsight, it would have been better and cheaper to get better stuff.

Just my experience...

I recommend a full-face helmet. A lot of get-offs involve scraping your face along the highway during some portion.

----

What about modular? I came through Durham when I went to pick my 1150RT-P up. Stopped by my brothers. he lives there.

I would think anything with a chinbar would work okay. Personally I use a ZOX flip up; easier to get on and off without losing my glasses and I get claustrophobic when not in motion on the bike. Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway is only three hours from Durham. Maybe we can arrange for a ride some time.

----

I've been riding now for 10 years. In the beginning I bought decent riding gear, but not GOOD stuff. Over time, I've found that it's much better to buy GOOD stuff. It just holds up better as well as gives better protection (falls, weather, etc).

Now, I wish I had gone straight to the GOOD stuff and not spent all that money on decent stuff. I realize that budget is an issue, and it was for me 10 years ago, but with hindsight, it would have been better and cheaper to get better stuff.

Just my experience...

Thanks for the advice.

----

I would think anything with a chinbar would work okay. Personally I use a ZOX flip up; easier to get on and off without losing my glasses and I get claustrophobic when not in motion on the bike. Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway is only three hours from Durham. Maybe we can arrange for a ride some time.

----

Sure, I'm game, but i want to get comfortable riding again. I also need to go through the bike mechanically. The bike may need TB Sync. Clutch and or valve adjustment. I'm trying to gather all the knowledge to create a logical test plan to do all this.

My wife bought me a HAWK Bluetooth Modular helmet for Christmas and IMHO it rocks. It is quiet, has a chin curtain that can be velcro'ed in place to keep out the chill... external and easy to use bluetooth controls, and also has flip down sunvisor...

She bought it onlint at Leatherup.com but you can probably get it at many places...

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004UU845E/ref=dp_otherviews_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&img=1

I have a jacket from Competition Accessories. Brand is "SLIDERS". It seems well made and cost only about $150. I agree with prior posts about buying the good stuff, but this is my winter jacket and doesn't get heavy use. I have an OLYMPIA for summer. Pricier but I really like it.

My wife bought me a HAWK Bluetooth Modular helmet for Christmas and IMHO it rocks. It is quiet, has a chin curtain that can be velcro'ed in place to keep out the chill... external and easy to use bluetooth controls, and also has flip down sunvisor...

She bought it onlint at Leatherup.com but you can probably get it at many places...

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004UU845E/ref=dp_otherviews_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&img=1

I'll check it out. Thanks

I have a jacket from Competition Accessories. Brand is "SLIDERS". It seems well made and cost only about $150. I agree with prior posts about buying the good stuff, but this is my winter jacket and doesn't get heavy use. I have an OLYMPIA for summer. Pricier but I really like it.

Others have recommended the Olympia. I'll check out the sliders as well.

Thanks

There was a great Bell helmet commercial back in the 70's. Yes remember when they actually had motorcycle commercials on regular channels and not just Speed? Anyway, the slogan was "If you have a 10$ head then buy a 10$ helmet" Kind of crude but the saying is what always pops into my head when a new rider is shopping for a helmet and mentions sticker shock. The protection is in the design,and quality craftsmanship, not fancy paint. I don't scrimp on stuff that has and will continue to protect my aging bones and hide.

If you waited this long to get back into riding, you can wait a couple pay periods to make a purchase. I agree with the posters that fit is it. Don't buy on line unless you can try the same product on in a store first. I think all of us has a pair of boots or gloves sitting around waiting to be given away or sold.

It wouldn't fit your budget, but if you can bite the financial bullet, I'd recommend Motoport pants and jackets. http://www.motoport.com/

They're great to work with & your pants will be tailored to fit you, not some idealized size range you may or may not fit. The materials and construction are top notch, and they're very comfortable while riding.

There was a great Bell helmet commercial back in the 70's. Yes remember when they actually had motorcycle commercials on regular channels and not just Speed? Anyway, the slogan was "If you have a 10$ head then buy a 10$ helmet."

There have been some articles that suggest the opposite for street riding, where you are more likely to be interested in one-off crash protection at lower speeds. Snell-rated helmets can actually transmit more energy to the head than DOT-rated helmets.

The June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine also addressed this controversy in a (now) famous article.

That issue contains a detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R to the $700.00 Schuberth S1.

Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R ZRP-1 helmet (review) transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved Scorpion EXO-700.

I am not advocating el-cheapo lids with faux DOT stickers, but you don't have to drop $700 to get a good helmet. Assuming decent build quality, the most important thing is how a helmet fits. Initial feel (i.e., 60 seconds) can be misleading. Got to a shop, select some candidates, try them on, and if they have a customer lounge, sit there for 15-30 minutes reading a magazine; then repeat with a different helmet, until you find a fit that you like. As long as there are no hot spots, a little snug is better than a little loose, as the lining tends to compress over time.

Detailed article from MSF: Comparison Tests of Motorcycle Helmets Qualified to International Standards

Since the function of a motorcycle helmet is to reduce impact-caused acceleration of the head, it stands to reason that one should choose a helmet that minimizes peak acceleration. This topic was well illuminated in Motorcyclist magazine (Ford, 2005). Motorcyclists are the fortunate beneficiaries of significant improvements in helmet performance in the last decade. However, helmets qualified to DOT and DOT+ECE provide better protection as measured in these laboratory tests than helmets qualified to BSI and Snell.

I would also agree that fit is the most important thing to consider. You can spend $5K on the best top of the line gear, and it does you no good at all if it is so uncomfrtable you rarely wear it. I have tried a few of the $700+ helmets, and I still prefer my $170 HJC. It fits. I can wear it for hours. It's noisy, but I wear ear plugs.

I have a Vanson VentMax jacket, that I am sure offers great protection. I will wear it when its hot for the air flow, but it is the most uncomfortable jacket that I own. I should have went with a less expensive mesh. I have their leather pants though, and I love them. But they are riding pants, not overpants. So I am stuck wearing them all day if I wear them.

I have BMW All Around boots that rarely get worn. They are great boots, but I just don't like the fit. I prefer my Triumph branded boots that I bought on clearance from a local dealer, so I had the chance to try them on.

My standard go-to jacket is a $70 X-Element from leatherup.com. I am sure it wouldn't hold up near as well as a $1500 set of leathers in a crash, but it's comfortable. And with armored elbows/forearms, shoulders, and back, it will provide more protection that a t-shirt, which is the standard attire for most local riders (and a Carrhart jacket when it's cold).

So for me, if it's too uncomfortable, I won't wear it, regardless of how much it cost or how protective it is. I don't mind springing for great gear, but for the price, it would have to be well comfortable. I am seriously considering the Motoport line, but for the price, I would really like to try one on first. Maybe if I am ever in the area, I would stop by his shop. I hear nothing but good about it.

I personally see no problem with starting out with less expensive gear. This gives you an opportunity to find out exactly what you want when you drop a lot of money on your really good gear. Leather v/s textile. 3/4 jacket, or sport-rider jacket. Power ranger boots, or ones you could wear to the office.

Of course, this is all my opinion, and we know the saying about those. :dopeslap:

Archived