IGNORED

HELD Titan

Kathy R

I've got the Steves and really like them. Not water proof but bullet proof. The Titans at $350 are just too much. Besides, that's 3500 bottles of beer on dime night. :grin:

I've got the Steves and really like them. Not water proof but bullet proof. The Titans at $350 are just too much. Besides, that's 3500 bottles of beer on dime night. :grin:

I hear you, John. I was wearing the Steve's last May. My left hand is deformed and with the plate in the wrist it's in need of as much protection as I can find. For me, the price is not as important as the protection. $150 more to keep it together is cheap.

Anyone wearing the Titan's?

Are they warm or at least 3 season? I wore the Steve's year round, except on the hottest and coldest days.

I've owned a series of Held gloves and so has my brother. Quality ranges from excellent to the downright pathetic.

My Freezer winter gloves are still going strong after five or six years of intense use, except the wiper blade has worn off. By contrast a pair of high end kangaroo hide gloves my brother had fell apart in three months and a set of summertime waterproof I had started to leak badly after just one year of sporadic use.

If you want a similar high-end product I suggest you check the new Rukka Queen and Vilma models.

I have a set of Rev'it (Dutch stuff) and the only fault is the lack of a wiper blade. Price was just a notch down from Held.

Hi Kathy,

A lot of Held stuff is made in the Far East nowadays, but I would expect (not sure) that the premium gloves - Titan , Phantom, Akira would be stitched together in Germany.

You might ask about the Knox Handroid gloves as well since they look mega-tough.

Regards,

John

I bought a pair of the Held Air Stream summer gloves a couple of years ago, and I was surprised to see "Made in Pakistan" on the label. That said, they are holding up well and are — by far — the most comfortable hot weather gloves I have ever owned, as well as the sturdiest. Even Held cannot avoid the cost pressures from cheap sweatshop labor in 3rd world countries.

Thank you, Kakugo. I just looked on-line at the Rukka (Queen and Vilma) and the Rev'it.

Did you or your brother notify HELD of the problems? I would have asked for replacement and quite honestly I would expect they would do so.

What caught my attention about the Titans was the protection. It's as if someone who came off a bike designed them, what with all the attention to the pinky and ring fingers, not to mention all aspects of that glove. I wonder what it's like to wear them?

You might ask about the Knox Handroid gloves as well since they look mega-tough.

Hi there and thanks John :wave:

Now we're talking! I just read a little about them and will do more research. Those definitely look like they were designed by someone(s) who knows what it's like to come off the bike at high speed. I got all Terminator just looking at the photos :grin:

I've got the Airstream too, Selden. Love them. The only part I don't like is that they are short. I've long been a fan of gauntlet gloves because they stay on. I've seen too many videos of folks coming off their bike and the shorty gloves flying off into the air before the hand smacks the road. I like how the Steve's cinch at the wrist and again at the gauntlet and I've never worn a more comfortable glove that gave me complete control. Mine didn't come off, until the medics cut them off. :D

Hi Kathy. I have no experience with the model you are asking about, but did have a problem with my Airstreams, which you also have. They blew out at the perforated leather a few weeks after owning. I did tell Held, and did finally get them to replace them. They claim that "Right on the website" it tells you to rinse the gloves often to stop them from getting brittle.... I also picked up a pair of Revit Gloves to wear while waiting for the 3 months to get the Helds replaced. These are much more comfortable and seem to provide greater protection at a slightly lower price point. About 15 percent cheaper for the same type of glove. Hope to see you this summer.

Kathy, if ultimate hand protection without sacrificing comfort is your goal I'd recommend you contact Helmut at Helimot

Helmut has spent decades making top quality leather gloves and riding suites for road racers and street riders. And he's an avid rider himself too.

And to top it off, his gloves are hand made right here in San Jose.

His gloves might not look like the latest fashion items but I doubt there are many other glove makers who put as much effort into the quality and safety of the end product.

This might sound like a paid add but it's not. I have no interest what so ever in Helimot, except for being and extremely satisfied customer.

--

Mikko

Thanks for pointing those out, Mikko. I'd not seen those before. I like that they are full gauntlet. The ad copy is obviously written by a rider/user.

....but this is one tough glove and it will most likely last through several crashes and for many years. NOW, we're talking. :grin:

I found this intriguing about the summer glove....... In very hot weather, just get these wet and they'll provide your own little hand air conditioning system.

Thank you, Kakugo. I just looked on-line at the Rukka (Queen and Vilma) and the Rev'it.

Did you or your brother notify HELD of the problems? I would have asked for replacement and quite honestly I would expect they would do so.

What caught my attention about the Titans was the protection. It's as if someone who came off a bike designed them, what with all the attention to the pinky and ring fingers, not to mention all aspects of that glove. I wonder what it's like to wear them?

I personally notified Held my problems and never got a reply. :(

And since you mentioned finger protection here's my experience with Held...

I had the usual track "front let go" while wearing a pair of Held Akira. The protection on the thumb completely let go and it took me six months to regain complete mobility. I still bear the scar. Again I notified Held and failed to get a response.

Needless to say I won't be caught dead in a pair of Held gloves on the track again and when I look at my thumb I want to throw away my Freezer gloves. :mad:

On the issue of leather softness... in 2006 both me and my brother bought Vanucci Competizione gloves. These are budget conscious track gloves. I think the most care they ever saw was my brother putting some talc powder in his occasionally. Well... after six years they are still incredibly pliable and soft. They are NOT waterproof but they are by far the best track gloves I've ever had. And I had Dainese, Spidi, IXS etc.

I have a pair of Held Akiras which, I think, were the predecessor to the Titans. I never would have spent $350 or whatever they wanted for them new. Got them for less than $100 on eBay. Not the most comfortble gloves I've ever had, that's for sure. I can think of several reasons for Held not commenting on any real-world incidents involving their gloves, among which would probably be the advice of their attorneys.

I'll add another anecdotal Held lack-of-durability point. My Profi model and then a set of Sprints both failed (started to disintegrate, where Held would not repair even for a fee) far too soon, less than 8K miles of riding for each. The Profis also needed repair under warranty (stitching came loose) that took many weeks to fix. Love the feel of their roo palms and box-stitched fingers but I'm not paying that much premium for this sort of poor life.

I'll add another anecdotal Held lack-of-durability point. My Profi model and then a set of Sprints both failed (started to disintegrate, where Held would not repair even for a fee) far too soon, less than 8K miles of riding for each. The Profis also needed repair under warranty (stitching came loose) that took many weeks to fix. Love the feel of their roo palms and box-stitched fingers but I'm not paying that much premium for this sort of poor life.

Did they start to come apart on the palm? My brother's started to disintegrate at the palm at half that mileage... again response from Held was half-hearted at best.

Hi, Kathy, seems like you've got lots of good suggestions. I have piles of gloves, and have been thinking about hand protection lately...since last week when I once again tripped and fell while jogging and bruised and got other hurties on my palms. Next pair I buy, I'll look at what the pro racers wear. If it's good enough for Checa to wear while he flies through the air at Phillip Island (and especially when he lands), I think it'll be good enough for me.

Your question brings up the old "that's too expensive" argument for protective gear. I wonder how much your hand injury ended up costing, never mind the pain and residual disability.

No, I dunno what the pros wear when racing, but I bet someone will pipe up.

One brand-specific comment: if you go Rev'It, TRY THEM ON FIRST. Their sizing system is unlike any other.

Hi Kathy, here is a great place to look at a lot of different brands: STT . They even have videos of each model showing the features. Alpinestars, Spidi and Dainese all make gloves for the top lever racers.

Alpinestars, Spidi and Dainese all make gloves for the top lever racers.

But I do wonder if gloves sold to the general population are even similar than what the pro racers use.

My guess is that the pros get 100% custom made gear with just the brand label added on.

The consumer stuff produced and sold in volumes might be quite different.

--

Mikko

But I do wonder if gloves sold to the general population are even similar than what the pro racers use.

My guess is that the pros get 100% custom made gear with just the brand label added on.

--

Mikko

The only item of clothing professional riders wear you can buy are high-end Arai and Shoei helmets and the price shows it.

All leather goods are tailor-made: Dainese has a department of experienced and highly trained people making suits, gloves etc for Max Biaggi, Valentino Rossi and the likes.

Nankai stuff used to be pretty close to the same stuff as worn by Mick Doohan (and the price showed) and I've heard their high-end stuff (still made in Japan) is still pretty close to race-specs but, again, you pay what you get.

--

Mikko

The only item of clothing professional riders wear you can buy are high-end Arai and Shoei helmets and the price shows it.

All leather goods are tailor-made: Dainese has a department of experienced and highly trained people making suits, gloves etc for Max Biaggi, Valentino Rossi and the likes.

Nankai stuff used to be pretty close to the same stuff as worn by Mick Doohan (and the price showed) and I've heard their high-end stuff (still made in Japan) is still pretty close to race-specs but, again, you pay what you get.

Okay, granted their stuff is custom made, that still begs the question regarding equal protection features, doesn't it? It's custom made to fit, but is it custom made to be more protective tan something I could order?

The GOOD Held gloves are made from Kangaroo hide and sweat will eventualy eat away at them....just the way it is. I've got mostly Held gloves- I like their Warm and Dry for cold weather and many pairs for track use.

Your question brings up the old "that's too expensive" argument for protective gear. I wonder how much your hand injury ended up costing, never mind the pain and residual disability.

How about the Knox Handroid? linky It even looks sorta like the gizmo Kathy was wearing for awhile.
  • 4 months later...

OK, report: I went with the HELD Titans

I know. Many of you had bad things to say about HELD. I've also received good reports and my experience with them was very good. I just got them today and how I wish I had these on last May. I'm not sure what happened during the get off, and I don't know if these would have prevented the damage, but I can't help but think there is a chance it wouldn't have been as bad.

Comfortable, flexible and oh so reassuring. Since they already told me they *can't put the left wrist back together a second time* I'm counting on these and my continued good luck.

And yeah, I'd like a black or a white bike :)

The heavy padding on the outside of the wrist is very nice.

i-mGQNNqh-L.jpg

I like the ring finger and pinky being attached on top.

i-Lxm7qNh-L.jpg

i-NkxKMTs-L.jpg

i-jRHrZvf-L.jpg

May they slay many bugs.

RockBottom
OK, report: I went with the HELD Titans

I know. Many of you had bad things to say about HELD. I've also received good reports and my experience with them was very good. I just got them today and how I wish I had these on last May. I'm not sure what happened during the get off, and I don't know if these would have prevented the damage, but I can't help but think there is a chance it wouldn't have been as bad.

Comfortable, flexible and oh so reassuring. Since they already told me they *can't put the left wrist back together a second time* I'm counting on these and my continued good luck.

And yeah, I'd like a black or a white bike :)

The heavy padding on the outside of the wrist is very nice.

i-mGQNNqh-L.jpg

I like the ring finger and pinky being attached on top.

i-Lxm7qNh-L.jpg

i-NkxKMTs-L.jpg

i-jRHrZvf-L.jpg

May they slay many bugs.

Now you need the rest of the outfit to match those

Robocop_by_BESTrrr.jpg

Mrs. Caddis

Kathy, I'm thinking of getting Steve or Steve IIs. I really like the feel of the kangaroo palms and the thinness between the fingers. How do the Titans feel in comparison? So hard to find in the smaller sizes at the local shops to try on... The gloves that I have tried on that have the hard knuckle protection (BMW, Revit) have been very uncomfortable.

RoboPB, that's me! I am avidly looking into chest armor. I'm going up in jacket size to accommodate it.

If you can wait, Eileen, I'll have these with me at the UN. Size 8, so you'll likely swim in them, but you can get a feel for them. I have big hands for a girl and usually take L size in women's leather dress gloves.

I think they are very comfortable, but I haven't ridden with them. There is a remarkable amount of protection above and beyond the old Steve. The lovely feel of the kangaroo is evident, but the top of my hand and wrist are delightfully ensconced in a cocoon of armor.

I'll be out back pushing the wheelbarrow for a while :D

• 4 months later...

Kathy, which feature of the Titan gloves would have prevented the kind of damage your wrist suffered?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kathy, which feature of the Titan gloves would have prevented the kind of damage your wrist suffered?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I can't say anything would have prevented the damage, because I don't have any idea what happened. I only remember seeing the drivers abrupt maneuver into me and then coming to.

The gloves I had on were full gauntlet's, but no support. (Held Steve)

The new gloves are full gauntlet and have impressive support. (Held Titan)

I'm hoping the screws, plate and the beefed up glove protect that left wrist going forward. I hope to be a very old lady who remembers to tuck and roll.

Archived