IGNORED

Conditioning gloves

blackyam

Hi. I'm thinking of using Nikwax Glove Proof to condition my gloves. If you have used this, would you tell me if it leaves a greasy or oily residue? If you don't use this, what do you use? Or do you not bother to condition your gloves? TIA.

---John.

Frankly I have never conditioned a pair of gloves... they either last long enough on their own merits or die trying.

On other leather items of clothing I usually employ a "leather balsam" (sic) I bought in an army surplus shop. Judging by the labels it's Swiss military stuff but it's cheap and works well enough for me.

I use plain old mink oil on all my leathers. Once a year in the summer when I'm not using them. I work it into the leather and put excess on all the stitching and set it out in the florida, summer sun and let the oil melt into the leather and let the stitching soak up and condition the threads. I have a pair of basic elk-skin gloves that I love. I put them on and massage oil into them by wringing my hands together.

The stitching is usually the first thing to fail on leather. The threads dry rot. I've got some pretty old leather goods that are still holding up using my methods.

I should add that my boots are not in this category, they get a conditioning a lot more than once a year. Their on the as needed basis.

Every spring, I get out all my boots, gloves, belts, etc., let them warm in the sun and give them their annual "Lexol" bath. (IMHO, Lexol leaves less "greasy" residue than mink oil which admittedly, still works great for boots.) So far, all of my gear looks "mostly" new. :grin: I also use the Lexol on my car's leather seats, so I buy a gallon's worth of the stuff every 2 -3 years...it's a BIG savings over the little bottles of the stuff.

Yes. Always treat your leather.

For waterproofing, I've been using Sno Seal since the '80's. It's about as good as it gets. Best to use a hair dryer and melt the stuff into the leather.

A friend treats his ski boots with nikwax, and swears by it, but it never really worked for me (in terms of waterproofing). Lexol is great (similar to saddle soap), but it doesn't waterproof anything.

Whatever you use, I'd apply it liberally, let it soak in for a while, and then wipe up any excess with an old rag.

I regularly use Lexol leather cleaner, then let gloves or other leather dry. Then apply Lexol preservative. Have also used saddle soap to clean then mink oil. For waterproofing i use Snoseal. You either need to apply snoseal a little bitvat a time or you put a glop of it in a clean empty tin can heat it briefly over a burner set on low so it liquifies & you can daub or brush it on. Cleaning & conditioning any leather helps extend its life and the suppleness you need especially in gloves for comfort & control.

Foxy

DaveTheAffable
I use plain old mink oil on all my leathers...

... which explains the foxes, bobcats, and mountain lions following you down the road. :wave:

Archived