IGNORED

Good Sam vs AAA

UberXY

A friend of mine had a sudden tire valve failure on his GS last summer just a few miles from the MOA rally in 100+ degree heat. He called AAA, of which he been a member for a few decades, and they told him they don't assist when a motorcycle is involved. (Similar to the hundreds of BMW riders who passed him as he sat on the side of the road...)

Anyway, has anyone had a good experience with the Good Sam Club and roadside assistance with motorcycles? Their rates are reasonable ($60/year) and they say in their advertisement that they cover motorcycle towing.

I had AAA for Motorcycles and I used it a few times and I never had a problem. You have to compare the motorcycle package to the Good Sam Club. I hope that helps I lived in California at the time and I am not sure if the service is offered in every state. I hope this helps.

Morning UberXY

Standard AAA won't tow or recover motorcycles. You need to call AAA as they offer low priced auto & RV (or something like that) add on that will handle motorcycle towing & road service (at least they did when I had AAA)

You can also become a member of the AMA and get motorcycle coverage included. Specifically this is included at the Champion level of membership, $39.00 per year.

KOA has an excellent motorcycle towing / assistance service. Highly rated on other motorcycle forums. But the least expensive is probably a rider on your motorcycle insurance if offered.

As noted, AAA will assist mc's, and RV's and trailers etc.

One simply contracts for that by the type of coverage you select.

Mine will send a tow truck to extricate the first tow truck, if needed.

That said, some policies are regional, some provide nationwide coverage.

Depending on where one rides, that could be more of an issue.

When we went to the Lake Topaz UN I added Allstate/KOA for parts west of the big muddy.

Check before you need it.

I've got several coverages, cost very little, and they're cumulative wrt mileage so if I do need it, good to go.

I have AAA here in SoCal and it is an extra rider on my car coverage. It covers both motorcycles and RV's.

I have the Premiere option which includes one free 200 mile tow and 3 100 milers in a given year.

I'm pretty sure different states offer (or not) various options.

Since I am a member of the SoCal branch of AAA, my policy coverage still extends everywhere thru other affiliate offices.

Worth every penny for the ease of mind it provides.

I dunno about all the others; I pay for Allstate/KOA RV Roadhelp (AARP offers it at a discount, I think). The main advantage over other services is that they'll get your bike to the "nearest service facility" which in our case is almost always a BMW dealer. The other services I looked at had very limited "towing" distances. The service covers ALL your vehicles for one price. I've never had to use it, but have read reports from folks who have...good reports.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/

I dunno about all the others; I pay for Allstate/KOA RV Roadhelp (AARP offers it at a discount, I think). The main advantage over other services is that they'll get your bike to the "nearest service facility" which in our case is almost always a BMW dealer. The other services I looked at had very limited "towing" distances. The service covers ALL your vehicles for one price. I've never had to use it, but have read reports from folks who have...good reports.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/

+1

One thing to note: If you have insurance through AAA you will need to continue your Auto club membership or they will not renew your insurance when your policy runs out. Ask me how I know...

Thanks all. I will check into these other groups and see if Potomac AAA will upgrade me for motorcycles.

I always carry repair plugs, tools, and a small compressor for flats, but this year I am going to add a small box of Schrader valves to the tool kit.

Suggestion: Next time you mount tires replace the rubber stems with metal stems. Replacing valve stems on the road is a pain in the... you know where. http://www.jakewilson.com/p/52/-/343/753/-/323/Myers-Straight-Tubeless-Chrome-Valve-Stem/VALVE+STEM

Thanks for the tip. Is it safe to use the 45 degree or 90 degree valves? I check my tire pressures a lot and those bent valve would make it a little easier.

I had been getting raped by AAA for too many years. They classify a motorcycle as an RV. So, I paid for my regular AAA fees plus I had to pay an extra RV fee to cover the bike, plus an extra fee to tack on more miles of coverage. I'm done.

AMA came out this year with a new option available to life members. Covers all my vehicles including bikes for $29.00 a year. Pretty close to the same coverage I was paying AAA $124.00 for.

markgoodrich
I had been getting raped by AAA for too many years. They classify a motorcycle as an RV. So, I paid for my regular AAA fees plus I had to pay an extra RV fee to cover the bike, plus an extra fee to tack on more miles of coverage. I'm done.

AMA came out this year with a new option available to life members. Covers all my vehicles including bikes for $29.00 a year. Pretty close to the same coverage I was paying AAA $124.00 for.

How far will they tow?

EDIT: AAA WILL TOW 100 MILES...THINK ABOUT THAT...I still say go with Allstate/KOA. Try AARP if you're eligible. As I said earlier, it covers ALL your vehicles.

Mark,

Around here they'll go 200 w/my plan.

I also have a chep rider on insurance that can piggy back.

Gives me 200 plus miles which shopuld work.

YMMV

With the PREMIERE AAA option here in California, you get 1X200 miles and 3X100 in a given year. More importantly is that they will tow where YOU want to go, not just to the nearest facility.

But something they won't tell you is that you can actually get a 500 mile tow IF you have the first truck drop you at his max range at which point you need to call AAA back and get another tow to their max range etc etc.

It's a pain to get 4 separate tows that way but 500 miles covers a huge area.

I found out from a buddy who needed to get his KLR towed (go figure lol) and the tow driver said that if he had NO towing coverage, there is a $75 charge to just get the bike onto the truck, and then it's $10 per mile!!! He needed to be taken 65 miles, so $75 + ($10 X 65)= $725!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's almost more than the bike was worth. .

Definitely worth belonging to AAA in this case.

How far will they tow?

EDIT: AAA WILL TOW 100 MILES...THINK ABOUT THAT...I still say go with Allstate/KOA. Try AARP if you're eligible. As I said earlier, it covers ALL your vehicles.

AMA service will tow up to 35 miles. Not much compared to what AAA offered. But, offset the yearly fee of $124.00 to $29.00 and I'm good with that. In all my years of riding, I thank the Good Lord that I never needed roadside assistance. So, based on the yearly savings, if I ever need more than a 35 mile tow, I should still come out ahead paying out of pocket.

I just turned 50 years old in December, so I think it's time to see what AARP has to offer.

I pay AAA of SoCal $195/year for both my wife & I for 2 cars AND 2 motorcycles for the Premiere plan.

Of that total, the motorcycle add-on is only $37.

In other words, dirt cheap for 2 bikes.

markgoodrich
I pay AAA of SoCal $195/year for both my wife & I for 2 cars AND 2 motorcycles for the Premiere plan.

Of that total, the motorcycle add-on is only $37.

In other words, dirt cheap for 2 bikes.

Well, to keep beating the horse, with Allstate's RV plan, for $75 you get all the vehicles covered, and these features:

24-hour toll-free Emergency Road Service for you and your spouse

Road and Towing Service

Tire Change Service

Fuel Delivery

Lockout Service

On-time Arrival Guarantee

Unlimited amount for towing to the nearest service facility and/or on-site labor

Arrest Bond Certificate $2,000 benefit

Trip Interruption $1,500 Benefit

Legal Defense $1,500 Benefit

24/7 Personal Assistant - Go anywhere and ask anything

Money Saving Discounts! - Save up to 50% on Hotels, Rentals Cars, Retail, Dining and Entertainment

Disclaimer: Yes, I own 100% of Allstate. And KOA. Why else would I keep mentioning this wonderful savings and service? :wave:

Yeah, but it's Allstate!!

I also have my house and boat insured thru AAA and NOBODY has been even close to the rate I pay for it all.

Believe me, I REALLY shopped around for the best rates and AAA won hands down!

YMMV in other states though.

markgoodrich
Yeah, but it's Allstate!!

I also have my house and boat insured thru AAA and NOBODY has been even close to the rate I pay for it all.

Believe me, I REALLY shopped around for the best rates and AAA won hands down!

YMMV in other states though.

I forgive you, Bernd.

I've had KOA/Allstate for quite a few years. Although I have never had to use it, I've heard nothing but good things from people who have.

Paul Mihalka

Absolutely terrible experience with AMA. Long story.

Good experience with Allstate/KOA. Three car assistance calls, all close to home. 1. Infiniti starter motor died in supermarket parking lot - towed to my favorite repair shop. 2. Mid-winter my Isuzu Trooper landed on top of the snow mountain piled on the side of the road, to avoid a head-on - tow truck pulled me back to the road, no damage. 3. Trooper with a flat tire in front of a store. I called, service came, mounted spare wheel. I could have done it myself, but hey, I paid for it.

Motorcycle: Middle-Of-Nowhere Arkansas, out on the road. Bent/cracked front wheel, torn tire (another story). My phone didn't work. Tow truck stops to help. His phone works. Calls, they authorize him to tow to the nearest town - that's all I wanted. I didn't even mind seeing my GS tied down with chains.

This kind of assistance is included with coverage through Geico and AARP insurances.

I don't know if Allstate (Sears) has improved their profile and practices over the last 15+ years but they used to have the poorest record for payouts of any insurance company in the US.

I've had experience with Geico's roadside assistance for both MC and automobile and found it excellent. Very responsive and helpful. Haven't had to use my AARP feature yet. AARP, if you are "of age" has considerably lower ins. rates than anyone I've found yet. Saved me $200+ dollars over Geico. (And I have nothing but good experience with Geico.)

• 5 weeks later...

Good Sam vs AAA (vs ...)?

Nobody's mentioned anything about BMWMOA's endorsed "Platinum Cycle Upgrade" for $26.

Anybody have any experience with or comments?

I dropped AAA after twenty years. Found I can get roadside assistance for much less with my current insurance. My r1100r is covered by Progressive (liability) that includes roadside service for $65 per year. Foremost did not offer the service. Used Progressive service couple times, no complaints.

malcolmblalock

I guess the same insurance company is different in each state. In NC, Progressive will not sell the roadside assistance piece without collision. I don't pay collision, so I can't get the roadside assistance. Bummer...

AAA In NC will not cover motorcycles unless you go to the RV coverage, which gets quite expensive...

I looked at the BMWMOA's coverage and the AMA, but the coverage seemed a bit skimpy as to how far they will tow. Many of my rides take me off the beaten path, so the coverage would have been pretty much worthless.

I have Good Sam coverage for my vehicles. Haven't used it, so I have no experience to report. I hope it works as promised....

Archived