IGNORED

TB Sync tool

cpayne

I have a great one that I just made over the weekend for a four carb bike.. Will work great for doing the TBs on BMW.. Best thing is you only need half of the materials.. I have to double check the BMW but I'm pretty sure 3/16 ID clear tubing will work.. I'd get about 12' of the tubing, 1-2 vacuum restrictors from your local auto parts store, some ATF fluid, zip ties, a pc. of wood or whatever, something to mount everything too, and a t-fitting for the 3/16 tube.. I'll post some pics afterwork this evening to show ya mine.. Oh, and you may not have to get the vac restrictors depending on how far out the balance is.. or, you can always make a restrictor out of anything from a pencil eraser to the ink cell from a pen..

I have a great one that I just made over the weekend for a four carb bike.. Will work great for doing the TBs on BMW.. Best thing is you only need half of the materials.. I have to double check the BMW but I'm pretty sure 3/16 ID clear tubing will work.. I'd get about 12' of the tubing, 1-2 vacuum restrictors from your local auto parts store, some ATF fluid, zip ties, a pc. of wood or whatever, something to mount everything too, and a t-fitting for the 3/16 tube.. I'll post some pics afterwork this evening to show ya mine.. Oh, and you may not have to get the vac restrictors depending on how far out the balance is.. or, you can always make a restrictor out of anything from a pencil eraser to the ink cell from a pen..

Much appreciated! Thanks for you time.

not a prob at all.. Used it this weekend and it worked great..If its not posted by the time I get home I'll verify the ID 3/16 tube works for the BMW also..

I spoke with my brother and told him I'm thinking of doing a TB Sync. he said two of his friends with Honda's got a tool and there bikes were never the same. One had to end up at the dealer.

From my reading, this seems like a fairly trivial procedure.

Has anyone with 1150 not gotten this right and had to go to the dealer?

If so I will probably screw it up, as I can screw stuff up really easily.

Morning cpayne

Sure a person can screw it up.

If you research the TB sync procedure until you understand EXACTLY what parts you need to move, what they do, & why it needs to be done it will then be a very easily done procedure.

If you just start moving adjustments just because a picture or online video tells you to then you have good chance for problems.

Understand what & why the TB's need to be balanced & what adjustment does what & you really can mess it up.

Read up on the procedure then ask us lots of questions here before you start. More than likely we can tell if you are headed for disaster just by the way you ask the questions & what questions you ask.

If you can adjust hot & cold water faucets to get warm water out of the spigot then you are capable of doing a TB balance.

Assuming slack is correct for the left cable, the bulk of the balancing is done by turning the threaded ferrule on the TB end of the right cable. I "just happened" to have a brass fitting (from 1/8" inch copper tubing, I think) laying around, and its inner diameter was just a tiny bit less than that of the ferrule. Using a cutting disk on a hand grinder, I cut a slot along one flat, slipped it over the ferrule, then clamped it down with a pair of pliers. Not only does the fitting provide extra leverage in a tight place, you can "count flats" for visual confirmation of how far you are turning it.

As Steve Jobs used to say, one more thing: by the time a TB balance comes around, I have forgotten which way to turn the adjuster to move the balance left and right. I put a piece of vinyl tape on the rear of the gas tank, under the bodywork, and drew two circles with arrows to indicate which way to turn the adjuster for the desired result.

Sorry, I don't have photos of either, but I hope the word descriptions are sufficiently clear.

My advice is to read the numerous articles on this subject... and ASK QUESTIONS FIRST. If you do not understand what someone has said or written - do not make assumptions. But, it is not complicated...

My main advice is not to even consider doing anything to anything on the left hand side of the bike except the valves.

If you are a BMW MOA member look at the Forums there as well as here. If you have the Paul Glaves articles in the ON Magazine from a few years ago- they are really good instructional articles... but, and it is a big butt... you have to pay close attention to the language, and the process.

Having said that... I would also add that doing a TBS is good but I personally would not do so until after a really picky Valve Adjustment. There is no need to get finnicky on a TBS if the valves are not spot-on.

I too was apprehensive about the tbs until I saw it done on my bike by someone who has done it before. Really, definately not diffucult once you see it.

Can anybody verify the 3/16" tubing size. I am in process of building one and need to get the tubing.

Archived