IGNORED

What Autocom internal adjustment is possible????

WestyLancs

I have a R1200RT with Autocom Active Rider Duo fitted. I have just changed sat nav from Garmin 2820 to Zumo 660,

and now find the instructions / MP3 music at motorway / highway speeds is barely audible. Previously the sound level was fine.

This is with tne Autocom turned up full and the Zumo output at 100%. Autocom, in their instructions, state that there is

'additional internal flexibility', but I am unable to find any contact link (that works) to ask them what is possible.

Has anyone any idea if there is any adjustment, either an increase

in input level at input 2, or output from the Autocom?

I have split the unit and can see a number of possible adjustments, but before I start to 'tinker' turning adjustment screws,

and risk damage, I thought I'd ask the forum.

On the Zumo 550, there are two seperate volume controls. One is "software selectable" under TOOLS and the other is the hard button volume control. The 660 may have similar.

Thanks Johnlt, but it seems they're different.

The only buttons on the 660 are the on/off on top, and the battery compartment release underneath.

I've got the software (Master and Mixer) maxed out, but it won't get to the level of the 2820.

If all else fails we can manage without earplugs short term, as we intend to go the ear monitor route in due course.

So it's not the end of the world, just not 'optimum'

I don't know your particular Autocom model but on my Active-Plus Kit 200 the volume controls work in the "wrong" sense!

You need to do little debugging.

1) Connect normal earplugs or headphone directly to your old 2820 and to the 660. Is the volume coming out of each GPS unit approximately the same?

2) Does to Autocom provide same volume level both GPS units when you are stationary and there's no wind noise?

3) Did you change any of the adapters or cables when switching from the 2820 to 660?

There are internal adjustments for the automatic volume control (due to wind noise), for VOX sensitivity and for the volume level that Autocom outputs TO some of the connected devices (for example mic level going to the bike-to-bike radio).

But if you are simply not getting enough volume from the GPS when sitting stationary, the problem is either with the GPS, a faulty connection to the Autocom or incorrect helmet speaker placement.

It should be pretty easy to find out which of those three is your problem.

--

Mikko

Kritou, again, thanks. Yes mine's the same, and up full, anticlockwise to the stop.

One problem is that we wear ear plugs, so lose some volume to those.

That was the same set up with the 2820 so there seems to be a loss of volume, either via the Autocom cable

(had one on the 2820 also), or less volume coming from the 660.

Eventually the in ear monitors will sort it, but short term volume increase would be nice.

Sorry Mikko posted whilst I was replying.

In response, it's quite possible the loss is down to the Autocom cable. Swapped from specific 2820 to 660 cables.

Stationary and town riding isn't really a problem, but volume is lower. It's just at motorway / freeway speeds, when it's JUST about audible.

Maybe the ear monitors will have to jump the queue ahead of a new jacket. :-)

Stationary and town riding isn't really a problem, but volume is lower.

OK, so problem is not with the automatic volume control, vol is down compared to the 2820 already while sitting still.

Try my step 1). connecting some kind of earphones directly to each GSP unit, is the volume at the GSP output same on both units.

If it is, then you might have a bad 660 cable (or wrong type of cable maybe?)

--

Mikko

John Bentall

Call Autocom on 01480 399499 and ask to speak to Paul Barrett.

BTW the 2820 is a deeper unit physically and apparently has a beefier amplifier.

Regards,

John

The Autocomm controls have "changed" over the years.

You mention it is full "anti clockwise"... which was maximum volume in the earlier models. If your Active Rider Duo is relatively new then try turning the volume control all the way Clockwise just to see if it makes a difference.

Hopz, cheers, it is turned up fully as it is. Clockwise turns the volume down on mine.

John Benthall, I will do just that. Thank you.

I'm convinced everything is working as it should, but the 'sum of the parts isn't quite loud enough' at higher speed.

All I'm after is a slight increase, ideally in input gain, so as not to disturb the rider / passenger speech levels.

I could never get my AutoCom dialed in right. Had to use a Boostaroo inline for the music. I could not hear the GPS through their supplied helmet speakers but could if I used in ear speakers. Phone never worked very well either. Finally had enough and ditched it.

Speakers in the ear plugs is the only way your going to be able to hear everything at highway speeds. I tried for years with different systems. I went to the Autocom because they guarantee that you could hear at any speed. They lied, you can only hear with earplugs with speakers. Try it and you won't go back.

Speakers in the ear plugs is the only way your going to be able to hear everything at highway speeds.

That is not correct. When placed correctly the helmet speakers provide plenty volume even at speed.

I wear -30dB ear plugs (foam plugs) and STILL get enough volume from Autocom Pro AVI to hear music, nav messages and radar alerts at any speed up to lets say 90MPH.

Stock Autocom speakers, Garmin 550 providing the navigation and music. If I forget to turn down the volume and leave out the earplugs the volume is ear piercing loud.

With the earplugs I get comfortable, clear volume and safe wind noise rejection.

Positioning the speakers inside the helmet can be tricky and time consuming to do.

You want to get the speakers just slightly rest against your ear, too much pressure will become painful during a long day.

But you absolutely MUST get the famous "loud spot" of those speakers aligned with your ear canal. It's hard to do and will usually take few tries to get it right.

When do get it right there's plenty of speaker volume even with earplugs on.

--

Mikko

If you dust your ears with talcum powder, open up the helmet and gently settle it in position you will be left with the outline of your ears on the lining. Now measure the distance from the tip of your ear to the canal opening and compare that to the chalked outline and X will mark the ideal placement for the speakers

A few strategic stitches of button thread though the padded cheek pads will allow you to adjust their thickness so the speakers don't press on your ears

I agree with Mikko. I do not use ear plugs and do not have a problem with hearing music and GPS or cell phone at 80 mph. Been using autocom for nearly 10 years with no problem. Absolutely critical is the placement of the speakers. Need to be EXACTLY lined up with your ear hole and just slightly touching. I usually run with 3 bars of volume still available on my Zumo.

FYI, for what its worth I have played with all the variable pots on the Autocom circuit board (Active Plus unit) and decided none of them affect the volume to the headset, at least as far as I could tell. The only thing I DID discover was how to easily disable all those annoying "overides" so that one aux input doesn't cancel or mute another. That alone was worth my trouble.

Again--this applies to the Active Plus unit. YMMV.

PS--if you also want to know how to disable the overrides, email me.

When I was first playing with my (early model) Scala Rider Teamset earphones... trying to get volume... and the Scala engineer finally gave up...

I went back to first principles. The inverse square rule. Reduce the distance from the speaker to my ear by half and it ought to make the sound 4x louder. Well, you get the idea, maybe the math is not right but ....

In any case what I did was open up the helmet and put several layers of "sticky foam" pads behind the speakers. I gained about half an inch of "closeness". Volume became far better and I was happy until I gave up on it of other reasons and went to the Autocom Pro 7 AVI.

Doing the Autocom install... I had learned my lesson and got the pads in first... volume is quite acceptable.

Cheers guys.

I've had the Autocom for 4/5 years and no volume issues at all, wearing ear plugs all the time. So it's not that.

I've just replaced the sat nav and used the recommended Autocom isolation lead to connect it.

Had the same set up with my previous (2820) unit, but now the sat nav / mp3 seems lower output. That's the problem.

Checked and rechecked the speakers (will try talc tho' - thanks Kritou) as well as inputs.

Autocom customer service (by email) reply was basically 'Newer sat nav systems have a lower output. Buy a new Autocom !!!'

Need to ring them, but I do expect a similar response, as it's not the Autocom causing the issue.

I'll work through all you suggestions, including a trying a boosteroo or similar, and eventually post back with the outcome.

I'm certainly impressed with the helpful suggestions all the way up from first principles. Thanks again.

Quick update - site won't let me edit for some reason.

Checked the Boosteroo site and that seems to fit the bill :clap:.

Bike powered amp for the output from the sat nav prior to Autocom input.

Thanks all once again.

That is not correct. When placed correctly the helmet speakers provide plenty volume even at speed.

Mikko

Well all you guys are lucky or geniuses. I must have moved those speakers around 5 times a season for six years and NEVER got it to work the way they claim. I even got them so close as to cause pain on my ear just to see if I could find the right spot. It's just stupid to have a high dollar system with speakers that are that finicky. I bought a different brand and it worked right out of the box, first time.

Lisa Malachowsky

I'm not trying to be mean, but the Autocom was designed to provide volume at speed. If you are not able to hear it at 80 mph something might be wrong with the unit or your hearing devices: your ears. If you want to check the Autocom, send it back to the manufacturer in the UK. If you want to check your ears, go to an ENT and get a hearing test. I did, and after 30 years of riding with and without earplugs (and Autocoms for over 10 years), I have some hearing loss. It is unavoidable in our sport!

Lisa

Autocom Direct AZ rep and dealer.

The unit I have now devoted a paragraph on how to place their speakers. AutoCom devoted more then 2 pages and 5 diagrams. Hmmm...Tells me THEIR speakers are fickle. I can hear the different brand speakers and unit I use now so I assume my hearing apparatus must be working all right for my age. I think spending days and weeks to get the AutoCom right, if at all seems silly.

Archived