IGNORED

Which gets higher mileage, PR2's or PR3's????

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

I am fixing to have to put new tires on my 09 RT and was just wondering which of these two usually generate the higher mileage, PR2's or PR3's? I am generally more of a straight line rider due to where I live and on the OEM's I will get about 10,000 miles out of them. I could go just a little more on front, but will replace both. I am not a hot rodder or anything, more of a cruiser, but love the RT. Who has had both and which got you the higher mileage?

FWIW..........I had a set of PR3's installed at 47000 miles......and at 52000+ miles I don't see any great amount of wear. I got over 12000 on a set of Metzler Z6's before I had to change them. Hopefully I can do the same with the Michelans.

little over 2000 miles more on the PR3's over the PR2's

There are so many factors, but if this is consistent, what's the upcharge between a 2 and 3, and is the difference worth the mileage gained.

Good grief! Who can tell. I'm just about to finish up my first PR3 front and it looks like I'm going to get LESS miles on the PR3 than I was getting on my several previous PR2 tires. I have another PR3 front in the garage so I'll run another before making a final analysis and decision on what to buy next. This PR3 tire is going to give me barely 4,000 miles. My previos PR2 front tires gave me 5,200 - 5,100 - 4,900. Yes, I watch my tire pressure frequently - usually front pressure is around 38-39.

There are so many factors, but if this is consistent, what's the upcharge between a 2 and 3, and is the difference worth the mileage gained.

Consider enhanced wet grip. My friends in PNW say PR3 wet grip is phenomenal, even better that PR2.

I am fixing to have to put new tires on my 09 RT and was just wondering which of these two usually generate the higher mileage, PR2's or PR3's? I am generally more of a straight line rider due to where I live and on the OEM's I will get about 10,000 miles out of them. I could go just a little more on front, but will replace both. I am not a hot rodder or anything, more of a cruiser, but love the RT. Who has had both and which got you the higher mileage?

Here are my tire experiences (same bike, same rider, same roads):

Front:

7,503 Bridgestone

6,655 Continental Road Attack

10,205 Pirelli Strada

9,329 Dunlop Roadsmart

Rear:

6,323 ME880

6,233 Continental Road Attack

4,130 Pirelli Strada (catastrophic puncture)

14,348 Michelin PR2

Both tires currently on the bike appear to have ~1000 miles left in them, and will be replaced this month with a set of PR3s. At 14,000+ miles, the PR2 still has usable tread in the center, and hasn't really squared off (in my experience, ME880 was the worst for squaring off).

Although I don't yet have direct experience yet with the PR3, I don't see how it could yield better mileage than the PR2, which should also have a slightly lower purchase price. On the other hand, the micro-sipes of the PR3 tires suggest they may have better wet performance.

Here are my tire experiences (same bike, same rider, same roads):

Front:

7,503 Bridgestone

6,655 Continental Road Attack

10,205 Pirelli Strada

9,329 Dunlop Roadsmart

Rear:

6,323 ME880

6,233 Continental Road Attack

4,130 Pirelli Strada (catastrophic puncture)

14,348 Michelin PR2

Both tires currently on the bike appear to have ~1000 miles left in them, and will be replaced this month with a set of PR3s. At 14,000+ miles, the PR2 still has usable tread in the center, and hasn't really squared off (in my experience, ME880 was the worst for squaring off).

Although I don't yet have direct experience yet with the PR3, I don't see how it could yield better mileage than the PR2, which should also have a slightly lower purchase price. On the other hand, the micro-sipes of the PR3 tires suggest they may have better wet performance.

Wow, your experience with the ME880 and PR/PR2 is the opposite of mine. The best I ever got out of a PR or PR2 rear tire was 6500 miles. I've since had several ME880s and have gotten 10-12k out of them. And the ME880s had the least amount of squaring off of any tire I've tried (PR, PR2, Dunlop, ME880)

Wow, your experience with the ME880 and PR/PR2 is the opposite of mine. The best I ever got out of a PR or PR2 rear tire was 6500 miles. I've since had several ME880s and have gotten 10-12k out of them. And the ME880s had the least amount of squaring off of any tire I've tried (PR, PR2, Dunlop, ME880)

I don't understand it either. I got good mileage from ME880s on my PC800, so I was surprised by the relatively poor performance on the R1100RT. As well as amazed by how the PR2 is wearing.

I'm just about to finish up my first PR3 front and it looks like I'm going to get LESS miles on the PR3 than I was getting on my several previous PR2 tires. This PR3 tire is going to give me barely 4,000 miles. My previous PR2 front tires gave me 5,200 - 5,100 - 4,900.

I've 10,000 on my PR2s with plenty of wear left in them though some indications of squaring on the rear. My stock Z6s lasted 7,000 miles and were junk compared to these.

I don't understand it either. I got good mileage from ME880s on my PC800, so I was surprised by the relatively poor performance on the R1100RT. As well as amazed by how the PR2 is wearing.

One difference is that I have an R1200RT while you have an R1100RT but it still seems strange to me.

I've changed two sets of PR2's at 10K miles. The rears looked like they might have had another 1K to go, and the fronts even more.

Currently I'm running PR3's with 9,900 miles. The front could go a little farther, but the rear looks like it ought to be replaced soon. My answer to the mileage comparison question is that the PR3's offer no more mileage than the PR2's, and maybe a slight bit less.

Hi John. Just replaced my third set of Metzlers with PR3's. Honestly I can't tell the difference. What I have noticed is they don't hold air as well. The Z8's lost a pound or two each week. The PR3's are losing about 5 pounds each week. Not a big deal since I check the tire pressures often. Also, the PR3's cost more.

Paul Mihalka

5 pounds a week pressure loss is a lot. Does it happen on both front and rear? I have a PR3 rear on my bike and no extra loss. I would check it very carefully.

CoarsegoldKid

PR2 vs. PR3 non "B" type I get about the same mileage. 6500-7000. Everyone's mileage will vary.

Hi John. Just replaced my third set of Metzlers with PR3's. Honestly I can't tell the difference. What I have noticed is they don't hold air as well. The Z8's lost a pound or two each week. The PR3's are losing about 5 pounds each week. Not a big deal since I check the tire pressures often. Also, the PR3's cost more.

John something is wrong. Some loss is normal but not that much and even a pound a week would drive me nuts. I'd give the core a little torque first. Failing that I'd change out the core for a new one. If the tires were replaced at the dealer they likely charged for a new valve stem on the rear. The next time you change tires clean the bead area of the wheel very well as it gets a build up of "tire black" on it.

Consider enhanced wet grip. My friends in PNW say PR3 wet grip is phenomenal, even better that PR2.

Yes, PR3 are Noisier , But in the wet, the grip is surefooted... long life ? I don't know.... My last rear only got 2300 miles due to a slash in the tire

The PR2's that I am running now have 13,918 miles on them, and most of that mileage is two-up riding.

I plan to replace them next week.

I've never run PR3's, but may try them this time around.

CoarsegoldKid
The PR2's that I am running now have 13,918 miles on them, and most of that mileage is two-up riding.

This is simply amazing for any tire IMHO. Is the odometer working properly? Just kidding. The roads in OK must be smooth as glass. The roads in CA must be composed of glass shards.

This is simply amazing for any tire IMHO. Is the odometer working properly? Just kidding. The roads in OK must be smooth as glass. The roads in CA must be composed of glass shards.

*** UPDATE ***

As of today, they have 14,046 miles on them. :thumbsup:

And I just ordered a new set of PR3's at CycleGear.

Guest Kakugo

Four sets of PR2's and I got an average of 10.000 km out of each. My first set of PR3's lasted 13000 km. Present set only has 2000km on it.

Never, ever got such good results out of any tyres I've ever had. Both Metzeler Z4 and Bridgestone BT021 had bald fronts at 6000 km (I tend to wear the front faster than the rear) and on the Metz the rear squared off so badly as to affect handling (on a VFR).

Either way you'll be happy with your choice.

:rofl:

+ 1

I am amazed at some of the miles some get from tires, in the 95k on my R1100RT the most I ever got from a rear is just over 8000 miles (Metz).

TracyMurphy

+ 1

I am amazed at some of the miles some get from tires, in the 95k on my R1100RT the most I ever got from a rear is just over 8000 miles (Metz).

+2

I am the second owner of my RT and when I went to the cord on my rear in a little over 6K I called the PO to see what he was getting out of a rear. Answer, "Around 6K". (Metz.)

+ 1

+2

I am the second owner of my RT and when I went to the cord on my rear in a little over 6K I called the PO to see what he was getting out of a rear. Answer, "Around 6K". (Metz.)

This is the highest mileage I've ever gotten from any set of tires, and I've run Continentals, Metzlers, and the Michelin's.

Of the three, Michelins have always given me the most miles, usually between 11k and 13k, making my current set a bit of an exception.

With Continentals and Metzlers, I was lucky to get 10k.

Normally, my front tire outlasts the rear, but with the set I am on now, their pretty evenly worn.

And with the PR2's, I tend to run the tire pressure on the high side, 38F & 44R.

Can't say much about the milage yet. Have PR2's on my RT and love them. Broke in a pair of PR3's on my GS this week on the way to Daytona. Wednesday night,avoiding a head on with a drunk HD rider, you know the scene, had to square off a right hand turn, with a little throtle came up straight, then a hard left to avoid another bike, up straight again. Got off the bike and ran to the rest room to check my underware. with that said, I wouldn't be too worried about a hundred or so miles.

You're right Paul. I had some leak detector and found the rear tire valve is leaking. Not a lot, but enough to account for the air loss. Back to Irv Seaver and have them check it out.

CoarsegoldKid

Meybe the tire leaks cause they didn't use BMW branded air. :rofl:

Did Seaver install a new valve stem? Dealers almost always do. Too bad about the inconvenience.

Ya know the valve stem in my rear wheel has held air for so at least 11 rear tires. It still looks fine but I bought a new metal version for the new PR3 that I'll lever on next week.

Archived