IGNORED

Head light strobes

cpayne

I noticed my 1150 RT-P head light strobes.

When I turn the head light on. (Right handle bar switch to the top).

Light turns on and then after couple seconds light strobes.

I have to turn the lights (I think fog lights) on the right and left on the head light and keep the head light switch in parking light mode. If I turn on the high beams in parking light mode no headlight strobe.

ALL the police lights were removed and wires cut.

I saw where a modulator can be added. I think that may be what is happening. I'm a noob, so I have no clue

check the emergency light switch on the right handlebar (on standard RTs it's the heated handgrips switch.) Make sure it is off.

The headlight modulator is controlled by a switch that may be mounted on the left handlebar next to the RTP's heated handgrip switch. However, that switch (the modulator's switch) and by extension the modulator only receive power if the emergency light switch is on. In other words, the modulator can't be used unless the emergency lights are turned on. The modulator is usually mounted on the aux battery in the "glove compartment" on the left side of the bike. So if they didn't strip the aux battery, there's a good chance they left in the modulator.

You can get the wiring diagram for this accessory and many others at BMWMC.NET. Turn off your pop-up blocker first or this website won't work for you.

Good luck

check the emergency light switch on the right handlebar (on standard RTs it's the heated handgrips switch.) Make sure it is off.

The headlight modulator is controlled by a switch that may be mounted on the left handlebar next to the RTP's heated handgrip switch. However, that switch (the modulator's switch) and by extension the modulator only receive power if the emergency light switch is on. In other words, the modulator can't be used unless the emergency lights are turned on. The modulator is usually mounted on the aux battery in the "glove compartment" on the left side of the bike. So if they didn't strip the aux battery, there's a good chance they left in the modulator.

You can get the wiring diagram for this accessory and many others at BMWMC.NET. Turn off your pop-up blocker first or this website won't work for you.

Good luck

Thanks REx. I'll check it out

How did it work out, CP?

I looked up the supplemental manual for RT-P .

My switches match up to what is depicted. However no mater what combo I used. emergency lights off. Headlight still strobes.

The only way I can get the non strobe. is Parking lights Fog Lamps High beam. Then head light will not strobe.

OK here is the scoop on the RT-P headlight modulation YMMV

Spoke with officer that rode the bike, to see if this was his experience.

Modulation is an option. A 200.00 dollar option.

A light sensor on the dash tells the modulator when to turn off e.g at night. I don't know about sensitivity, but I know on overcast and at dusk it still modulates.

A feature not a bug in software parlance

Perhaps you can adjust the sensitivity by partially covering the sensor with electrical tape?

After taking the bike out this evening. The light didn't strobe.

The police officer said it wasn't against the law to strobe. this was a concern for me given it was an ex police bike. I'm good with the strobe. Taping it will disable the feature all together which is also an option.

Glad you figured it out.

The BMW headlight modulator for the authority bikes doesn't have a daylight sensor, just a switch to manually turn off the modulation at night. And it only functions during emergency light operation. So it sounds like the Department or the dealer installed a regular modulator that is available on the retail market like Kisan.

Those "civilian" modulators must have a light sensor to turn the modulation off when it gets dark, like yours; but may also have the ability to adjust their sensitivity. They are also designed to "fail" off. In other words, if the light sensor is defective, modulation stops. This is to comply with the federal law that permits headlight modulator use in all 50 states and precludes any state or local law against them. So if you don't want a piece of tape showing, you can probably get the same result by disconnecting the sensor wire/connector from the modulator.

I have a modulator on one of my bikes and want to add one to my BMW when time and conditions permit. I find they really help people notice you one the road. I HARDLY ever have a left turner cut me off. :)

Glad you figured it out.

The BMW headlight modulator for the authority bikes doesn't have a daylight sensor, just a switch to manually turn off the modulation at night. And it only functions during emergency light operation. So it sounds like the Department or the dealer installed a regular modulator that is available on the retail market like Kisan.

Those "civilian" modulators must have a light sensor to turn the modulation off when it gets dark, like yours; but may also have the ability to adjust their sensitivity. They are also designed to "fail" off. In other words, if the light sensor is defective, modulation stops. This is to comply with the federal law that permits headlight modulator use in all 50 states and precludes any state or local law against them. So if you don't want a piece of tape showing, you can probably get the same result by disconnecting the sensor wire/connector from the modulator.

I have a modulator on one of my bikes and want to add one to my BMW when time and conditions permit. I find they really help people notice you one the road. I HARDLY ever have a left turner cut me off. :)

It is working as designed at the moment. I thought it may be left over from removal of all the police lights gear etc. Freaked me out when I saw it flashing in a reflection. I don;t remember seeing any bikes recently that were modulating. If it is legal and a safety feature. then I will leave it alone and let it do modulate.

Archived