IGNORED

Any Gear Testing Ideas for MCN?

moshe_levy

All-

I haven't written an article for publication in awhile - don't ride all that much since daughter #3 popped out 7 months ago. Only about 4k miles last season, which used to be a good month for me!

I don't want to lose touch with the latest and greatest stuff, though. Let me know if you have any ideas for some new gear that you'd like to see tested. Keep in mind this stuff is done at below minimum wage in spare time (and I've got 3 young kids, lots of hobbies, and demanding work - so I don't have any!) so keep it simple if possible. Any feedback appreciated. I just haven't seen or heard of much recently that's new and worthy of review.

-MKL

Guest Kakugo

Something cheap and easy to test... commercially available "beauty products" for bikes like shampoos, polishes, metal finish products etc.

Paul Mihalka
Something cheap and easy to test... commercially available "beauty products" for bikes like shampoos, polishes, metal finish products etc.

Hey, this is not a Harley forum! (Sorry, I couldn't resist :grin: )

There seems to be a significant shift to dual sport / off road type motorcycles and I've got the fever with the addition of a KLX 250 dual sport. Perhaps it's already out there but I'm struggling with finding anything objective specifically about boots and with helmets and jackets not far behind on my list. Like 'dual' anything these machines and related gear are a compromise between the two riding environments and don't necessarily lend themselves well specifically to each of these different pursuits. While I would like to get the best protection for my feet while on the trail I'm not happy with

a) the thought of having two separate types of boots and b) not being able to comfortably walk any distance in trail type boots. The same goes with jackets - my leather road jacket is too hot for the trail but what do trail jerseys (perhaps with armour) offer in the way of protection on highway links? Any help there?

Moshe, PLEASE do an article on gloves. Specifically gloves for wet weather. Especially the lighter weight ones that might be used in higher temperatures. I have bought two sets in the past 18 months and neither work to keep the rain from soaking thru. Both "membrane" types. Heavy cold weather gloves are probably easier to make waterproof. But, if the glove is so hot to wear that you sweat and soak them from the inside....what is the point! Maybe look into the rain shields meant to put over your standard gloves. Inquiring minds want to know what works!

malcolmblalock

Can't remember, but have touring socks or helmet liners been evaluated? I tour a lot, and it's usually hot wherever I seem to go. Knowing the best socks or helmet liners for hot weather would be helpful.

I'd sure like to see more head-to-head on BlueTooth communicators (intercom, bike-to-bike, and phone/GPS connected). I know, not the cheapest easiest comparo. But we see isolated reviews all the time, not enough comparison.

Okay, simpler/cheaper? How about a messenger bag/backpack comparison article. These are less m/c-specific than tank bags and tail bags but ideal for some commuters.

Also useful, a comparison of cleaning products (S100, HondaClean, Simple Green, etcetera). The hardest part is getting equally grimy sections of a bike to clean and compare. I'd like to know if the fancy stuff is somehow worth it. I mean, I'm sold on Plexus for clear plastics but that is after years of fooling around with other cleaners.

Several years ago (if I remember correctly) MCN did a comparison of accessory lights. A comparison of LED accessory lights would be timely, since this is a rapidly evolving technology.

Given editorial lead times, it's probably too late for a comparison review of ventilated "summer" gloves, which I think was last done in 1995.

Peter Parts

Maybe this isn't quite what you're looking for...

1. How many bikes have their trick after-market shocks adjusted anything like properly... and wouldn't they just be better off with stock?

2, Kind of along the same lines, how many others on the road are blinded by self-absorbed bikers with HID lamps?

3. Been a long time since I saw this stat, but is it still true that mortality (or even accident history) decreases dramatically to about 5 yrs experience to no worse than car driving and then goes flat.

Ben

Does it have to be product based? How about services? Best road assistance program, perhaps. Compare AAA to KOA to Good Sam to ??? Which is best for motorcyclists? Which offers the most features and which offers the features motorcyclists would consider the most important/useful.

Or how about comparing MedJet Assist with other similar services.

Some decent ideas. I like the socks and the helmet liners. I like Effbee's suggestions. Some others are repeats they already covered. Keep 'em coming.

I like gear best, because I can test it alone, while commuting to work so not much extra time spent, and it doesn't require reliance on third parties. See if we can focus on gear.

-MKL

Not ever really been much of a fan of Cycle Gear, but I do stop in our local store just to snoop around once or twice a year.

Today I stopped in and saw some gear they are selling called

Freeze-Out. It is fairly inexpensive,and looks to be a good alternative for someone that does not own heated gear, and would like a bit more insulation.

Sorry if it has been done ,just something I saw, new to me.

Lone_RT_rider

How about Throttle rockers? I don't think they have been as good since the lawsuit was settled.

Shawn

How about something on special underwear for motorcycling. You could compare special ones with boxers, briefs, cycling shorts, etc. Might be funny and informative at the same time.

Maybe multi-tools. I saw another thread about them here but it might be an interesting comparison.

Ear plugs. Lot's of them and pretty subjective but cheap to do.

Not ever really been much of a fan of Cycle Gear, but I do stop in our local store just to snoop around once or twice a year.

Today I stopped in and saw some gear they are selling called

Freeze-Out. It is fairly inexpensive,and looks to be a good alternative for someone that does not own heated gear, and would like a bit more insulation.

Sorry if it has been done ,just something I saw, new to me.

Do you know of a website for this? Googling Freeze-Out just brings up poker sites.

-MKL

High Cotton

Moshe, go to cyclegear.com and then search for freeze-out and you'll see all of their offerings in this line. I think this is probably a line that they have commissioned themselves. I bought some earlier in the season myself. BTW, I enjoy all of your reviews in MCN.

Second Rocer's suggestion on DS gear.

I will be doing a review of two of Bohn Armor's selections for BMW ON later in the season as well as Hella's LED lights.

I'd like to see a head-to-head on touring/DS hard luggage.

DS/ADV gear is the future. Definitely the expanding market right now.

Moshe, how about lightweight summer jackets? There are a few posts looking for info on this subject for those of us in warm to hot summer areas.

John

John-

I personally weighed in with my summer jacket choice in the August 2010 issue test of the BMW Airshell. GREAT summer jacket. Haven't seen anything come out since that's any better.

-MKL

Oh, OK, I found the Freeze Out. Not really timely, now. You guys need to understand - it takes time to test this stuff, and more time to write about it, and more time to get it in print. So if I were to test Freeze Out, first of all I'd need to wait until this coming winter so I could really get into cold temps. Then a test for a month or so, and by next deep winter you'd see it in print.

Conversely for a summer jacket you'd see it next year, because no worthy test isn't going to be at least one full summer riding season long before a valid opinion is formed. So again, you'd see that next year, not this year.

What I'm thinking of is gear - stuff that isn't seasonal that has come out. Something new, or improved, etc. The multi-tool idea is good.

Keep them coming.

-MKL

+1 on motorcycle underwear. Underarmor? Wind proof pants and shirt? What works best for monkey-butt? Best neck-sock?

This stuff is not just for winter. I use sportbiketrackgear's one-sided cold- killers even during spring and fall when riding back from a buddy's house at midnight here in SoCal. A nice, thin windproof layer makes a perfed jacket much more useful after the sun goes down.

But I could never find good reviews on wind proof underwears.

JT

I have a couple of Under Armour shirts. They really are good quality construction but I get 100% of the benefit on super-hot days from Walmart's DriStar shirts, maybe 75% of the comfort (seams are not as smooth), at something like 15% of the cost!

If you do a comparo please add those to your shopping list.

Archived