IGNORED

Cat pissed on my top case carry-bag (liner)

vfrman

The subject says it all. I'm consulting you guys for help on cleaning it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think my recommendation on what to do with the cat would be censored by the mods. Good luck

Is it not machine washable?

If not the woolite idea should do the trick.

If so, toss it in the washer with detergent and then let it air dry.

I have two cats. It's not that bad... :rofl:

Firefight911
Insert cat into case liner, zip liner closed,Lighter fluid, match, metal 55 gallon drum.

Is that for the case or the cat?

Fixed it for him.

Use OdoBan in the washing machine. My cat has pissed on my summer mesh coat, bike cover, gloves...

The OdoBan had gotten it out every time.

Thanks for your input, guys.

I'm tempted to toss it in my front loading washer, but I'm afraid I could ruin it.

OdoBan and Woolite both sound like good solutions.

Morning Patrick

I can't tell you exactly what product to use but when I had an old barn cat guarding my shop from rodents something like that would occasionally happen to a coat or shirt I would leave at cat access level.

My wife went to the pet store & got a pet urine odor neutralizer. Can't remember the name but a couple of spritzes of that then a trip through the washing machine & all was good again-- at least to my nose.

Even when you get it clean there is still the chance other roaming Tom Cats will smell it so don't leave it where a cat can access it as those little devils sure like to mark their territory.

I'm tempted to toss it in my front loading washer, but I'm afraid I could ruin it.

The washer or the bag? My (former) cat pissed on the back seat of my car and I ended up getting a new car.

Seriously, that pet urine stuff supposedly eats protein and eliminates the urine but I haven't had much success with it. You don't want to find out later, when you pack your clothes in it, that the smell is still there and all your clothes now stink. I'd try a commercial washer at a laundromat and use the gentle cycle. Air it out for a while and then put it in a plastic bag for a couple days. Then take it out and see if you still smell the urine.

Good luck.

I've washed my case liners in a top load washer with no problems. A front load is even gentler. I wouldn't hesitate to wash the bags in it. If you are worried about the cat urine wrecking the washer...hmmm...I wouldn't be worried about that, but I have never had a cat. Ya'll have convinced me to never bother :D

Lighter fluid, match, metal 55 gallon drum.
:grin:
Nice n Easy Rider
If you are worried about the cat urine wrecking the washer...hmmm...I wouldn't be worried about that, but I have never had a cat. Ya'll have convinced me to never bother :D

Kathy, don't you think Nigel could use someone (something!) to play with when you're out? :D

George, I'm afraid a cat might get the better of Nigel, or worse yet mark him. :grin:

Do folks, the OP?, find that they cannot train their cat to not mark their belongings?

------

Do folks, the OP?, find that they cannot train their cat to not mark their belongings?

Morning Kathy

Cats are strange creatures. Most are only one step or so from still being undomesticated.

A cat is very difficult to train to "not to do something" they think is natural & normal. They are also difficult to discipline as hitting a cat to discipline it is just a form of play to them & has no real dissuasive meaning to them.

They are somewhat easy to train to do something they would be doing anyhow (like eating or pooping in a litter box) but difficult to train to not do something that is against their natural instincts.

Male cats pee on things to mark their territory. Even some neutered male cats will go through the motions but not as extreme as a rouge un-neutered male cat. I have a spayed female barn cat living in my shop now & even she will mark her territory when outside (nothing inside so that is a positive).

As far as teaching an outdoor male cat to not pee on things to mark it's territory would be very difficult unless you are with the cat 100% of the time & watch it constantly. It gets even more difficult if there is another cat in the area or some scent on an object from another feline.

There are some things that can help a bit to keep cats away like oranges or strong orange smell but even that won't work on all cats.

If you have an un neutered tom cat in the area it's best to either catch & re-locate the cat or keep things you don't want pee'd on off the floor or at least kept in an area the cat can't get to.

Once a cat marks something by peeing on it you can probably wash it enough times to keep humans from smelling it but I seriously doubt it will ever keep another cat from knowing it was peed on. Those darn things have an exceptional sense of smell.

I have found that neutered and spayed cats never mark anything, or any such thing, if they have the operation early enough in life. If they already start the activity, then the operation only reduces the behavior.

Also they don't have a "cat odor", after the operation.

But it usually is quite easy to outwit a cat. They can't open drawers, cabinets (of most types) doors, etc. So if I don't want them to get something, they don't get it.

I like to consider myself the smarter one. But that is probably not true.

dc

water and vinegar (50/50) will get rid of the smell and will aid in keeping the cat from spraying the spot again. If it is your cat getting it neutered will help stop the marking as someone else mentioned.

I have three cats, inside/outside, and there are always stray cats coming around. Mine are fixed but the strays will spray the back deck or a piece of furniture. For this I use a mix of water and chlorine bleach, very effective. For clothing (one of mine unloaded on my pants when we were on the way to the vet, I washed in Clorox 2 which has no bleach but is very effective at getting out the smell.

Cats are definitely independent spirits. They are the only animal that domesticated itself. And thus they have done it on their terms, not ours.

dc

Lone_RT_rider
Does the cat's color go with your bike?

I'm thinking a top case liner might be a good solution :thumbsup:

Or, you could just teach the cat

OK, it's actually pretty easy. Half a cup of table salt in the washer and it will never smell again. This works, my ex used to have a cat that would pee in the laundry hamper when it got mad at us. One wash with salt and all the odor was gone.

Gad- its just a cat. The only thing these things are good for is reducing rats in your barn and they only do that well if you don't feed them much else.

Taking the cat on a one way tour of the 300 or 400 yd berms at your local range might at least be useful practice.

Before you bad mouth cats you might want to remember that if it wasn’t for cats you probably wouldn't be riding a motorcycle or having food in supermarkets, or see people living in cities working at non food producing jobs.

Long ago there would have been no way to store food in a large enough quantities for the food producing farmers to store food to feed the non farmers or non gathering people if it wasn't for cats & their rodent eliminating ability.

Training cats?

When I was a kid I saw a trained cat show. The guy had a bunch of cats doing the kinds of things you've see in a trained dog show, walking on hind legs, jumping through hoops, etc. He even had one that climbed a tower and dove into a vat of water.

This is for real! BEFORE I did any of that stuff I did back in the 60s!

szurszewski
Gad- its just a cat. The only thing these things are good for is reducing rats in your barn and they only do that well if you don't feed them much else.

Taking the cat on a one way tour of the 300 or 400 yd berms at your local range might at least be useful practice.

Is there a list of animals which can and can't be bashed on this board?

I personally don't find this thread offensive, but I'm not easily offended, and am asking mainly out curiosity (though, perhaps also to point out what I see as a bit of hypocritical behavior), but I feel certain that if someone posted any of the comments here suggesting rather unseemly deaths and aimed those comments towards DOGS, there'd be a bit of outrage.

No?

baggerchris

At my work there is an old Tom that does not piss on my bike when I ride the HD, but let me ride the Beemer and Whammo, there he goes. He usually got my cover. Over a couple of years I tried just about everything to get him to stop, but this year I think I got it. I myself pissed in a solo cup and when I found him asleep in the sun under an oak tree, I poured it all over him. I mostly tried to get it on him because after the first wet hit him, he was gone, but I got it all over where he likes to sun and now can't. Then I pissed into a plastic bottle and poured in all around a 15 foot square area where I park the bike. He hasn't sprayed the Beemer since. This is actually an old trick used by Mountain Men back in the day around their camps to let animals know that the area is occupied by something they don't want to tangle with. You do have to be careful about it around work to make sure none of your co-workers find out what you are up to as they may think it is not "work correct". Of course working and living in a very rural area helps. It is not uncommon to see foxes; skunks and the occasional racoon or possum in our parking lot next to the creek.

Archived