IGNORED

Contour mounts

RPG

My best buddy got me a Contour HD camera for Christmas. Amazing little device but my dilemma is where to mount it. Almost too many options I guess. I tried the supplied mount to adhere to the side of my helmet. Even after careful prep, it fell off, luckily without the camera attached :(

Just wondering what some of the preferred mounting methods anyone else is using (as well as which mounts to use) I would prefer to change mounting points to alter the view. Bike is a '04 RT but also want to use it for a spring trip on my R90s.

thanks,

RPG

I've attached my Drift all over the bike with either the suction cup or more preferred, Ram Mounts. You can get any combination and any length you need to put it where you want.

I have a clamp on camera mount on my BMR shelf and then attach the Contour's mount to that. For safety's sake I have the mount ziptied to the shelf in case (unlikely but possible) the clamp comes loose at speed. The Contour's slide mount is really tight so i don't further tie it down.

My best buddy got me a Contour HD camera for Christmas. Amazing little device but my dilemma is where to mount it. Almost too many options I guess. I tried the supplied mount to adhere to the side of my helmet. Even after careful prep, it fell off, luckily without the camera attached :(

Just wondering what some of the preferred mounting methods anyone else is using (as well as which mounts to use) I would prefer to change mounting points to alter the view. Bike is a '04 RT but also want to use it for a spring trip on my R90s.

thanks,

RPG

I've been using the Contour HD for about 3 years. While there area lot of mounting options the only one I've used is the helmet mount. Works great. Mine is attached to the right hand side of the helmet. If you use the helmet mount a coupe things to consider:

1)The adhesive on the tape is super strong, be sure you know exactly where you want it before you stick it on. You won't get a second chance.

2) If you're using a modular helmet be sure the placement of the mount doesn't interfere with the rotation of the chin bar.

3) To determine the best position use masking tape to secure the mount to your helmet in various locations. I placed my bike on the center stand about 8' from the garage wall. Sitting on the bike with my helmet on I used the laser in the camera to project the position against the wall and was able to both rotate the lens to get the video level and to determine the final location of the mount base. I put a small mark on the camera body and lens body so I could always return the lens to the same position if it got moved.

The mount is pretty inconspicuous especially on a dark helmet. But the big advantage of a helmet mount is the video you can capture that a fixed mount on the bike won't. Not only is it good when riding but when starting out or stopping with a group you'll be able to capture the other riders. As I've learned over the last several years video of the road is good but the people part is just as important.

Archived