IGNORED

Question regarding Cardo Scala G4/Sena Headsets???

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

I presently listen to music on my ipod now when riding my RT, but would like to have a helmet headset that would enable me to take cellphone calls, if needed. I would rather use the Shure "In the ear" earbuds that I have instead of helmet speakers. I can listen to music at a much lower volume and plus they act as earplugs blocking out the windnoise. Will either of these systems allow me to plug in my earbuds to them as it comes out of the box? If these don't, is there a system that will?

Out of the box the Sena units will not run earbuds, but with the purchase of a different clamp kit they will run earbuds. The kit is an additional $40 unless you can get them to put it in the main kit to begin with.

We have two sena units and love them. They work great, great volume so you can hear what is going on. The mics work great, have yet to have them drop their connection due to distance, they will drop it once the other bike gets 3 or 4 turns ahead there are hills between you. They reconnect automatically though. Battery time is awesome. I have talked to people on the phone who did not realized I was on my bike until I told them.

How about a photo of your helmet with the unit attached and the price you paid? I would like to do something like the original poster, but need more info. I have done some looking at the Nolan com units too. Does the cardo stick out and get wind buffeting?

Will either of these systems allow me to plug in my earbuds to them as it comes out of the box?
The Cardo Scala G4 won't let you do that - you use their hardwired speakers or nothing. The Sena will if you buy the optional clamp that has the jack for headphones/earbuds. Both of the units stick to the side of the helmet with a clamp. They're both pretty aerodynamic in that I've never noticed any buffeting or extra noise from using either. I had a G4 setup for a couple of years and switched to a Sena last summer. I like the Sena better - the volume has better range (& a higher top-end), longer distance between bikes, easier to use controls and they've now got a bluetooth adapter that allows it to also connect to FRS radios for bike-to-bike where the other bikes don't have a Sena unit.

My vote - go with the Sena. (I've owned both units) Much better range and overall sound quality (only tested with the stock speakers, not ear buds).

FWIW, the Sena has much better sound quality and volume range. I always wear foam earplugs while riding. Although I rarely ride while listening to music, the times that I have tried it the music through the Sena is plenty loud enough and sounds great.

Another reason for the Sena - they have just announced a firmware update that will be released soon that will improve overall battery life and extend the range of the intercom function. There is an excellent review of their units at WebBikeWorld.com.

http://goo.gl/rxsyH

I have two Sena units (rider/passenger) and I also bought the optional helmet clamp that ditches the helmet speakers, but allows you to plug in earbuds (my wife uses the helmet speakers). Works just fine. In answer to a question above, you won't even know the Sena's on your helmet; it's very light and there's certainly no wind buffeting, especially on an RT.

Archived