IGNORED

Summer Riding Jacket Suggestions?

kinchy

My Joe Rocket summer jacket owes me nothing and is due for replacement. It's mesh with elbow, shoulder and back protection. I typically rely on MCN or MOA/ON reviews but they haven't reviewed any summer jackets of late thus this request for guidance. Suggestions certainly welcome.

Thx

Wayne

malcolmblalock

I owned a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for about 7 years, wearing it often when it was hot. It did a good job, but finally wore out.

I replaced it with a First Gear mesh jacket. I like it because it's a light gray color; more visible and MUCH cooler. It's amazing how much more heat is generated with dark colors. I like the gray. Otherwise, IMO, the two jackets are about equal.

I really like my Tourmaster Sonora jacket. It's 3/4 length so it keeps my lower back covered (when I'm in a full-race tuck on my RT - really), has lots of mesh and generous armor. Priced right and comes in hi-viz, too. Many folks like the offerings from Olympia (I have their AST jacket which I also like))

pete

I also have a Joe Rocket Phoenix in white that is my go-to when it's over 90. I also have a Scorpion and FirstGear, but they don't flow as much air.

It has been wonderfully not winter this year in Southern California and today's ride through Topanga Canyon made me happy I purchased a Motoport mesh kevlar jacket. While not in the 90's it was warm and there was ample direct sun to heat you up when you stopped. The jacket was very cool and breezy. I think it is much cooler with more airflow than my Olympia or Tourmaster mesh jackets. Yes, I spent more, but I bought it to make me cooler and it achieved that. It seems much safer too (Just my opinion).

Motoport mesh kevlar jacket

IMG_1355.jpg

Olympia mesh jacket

BigSurBikeTrip100.jpg

Tourmaster mesh jacket

_DSC2575-Edit-Edit.jpg

I bought a Scorpion EXO XDR Mesh Master Jacket last summer. I like a 3/4 jacket works better for those of us who are full-figured! Its also hi-viz so I don't have to wear a silly reflective vest when riding on post. The jacket is 600 cordura except for the non-impact zones which are mesh and has CE rated armor. Well made jacket, and I paid something like $175.

Kinchy-

I reviewed the BMW Airshell for MCN in the August 2010 issue, giving it top marks. I haven't seen anything come out since then that would change that recommendation.

-MKL

I ended up with the Vanson vent-max. 1000D cordura mesh, full armor, and flows air like I'm wearing a t-shirt. A bit stiff at first, but loosens up after a few rides. I like it for what it does.

Kinchy-

I reviewed the BMW Airshell for MCN in the August 2010 issue, giving it top marks. I haven't seen anything come out since then that would change that recommendation.

-MKL

+1

I really enjoy my Olympia summer mesh jacket. I bought it a while ago and don't remember the name of it. (Sucks getting older)

The Olympia products are good quality for the price.

I really like the air flow of my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants but it wore on my sense of safety. I have an Alpine Stars "T-Stunt Air" (irresistable sale price at a local dealer) that makes me feel much more protected with maybe half the air flow. The only feature I'd improve is lack of ventilation at the lower arms.

+1 for the Joe Rocket Phoenix. I've been wearing one for about five years and love it. Great dual duty jacket. Good air flow in the summer and when the temps drop, just zip in the liner and it's a very worthy cool weather jacket.

I am not sure if the BMW Santiago is still in production, but it makes a fine hot weather kit with more protection than some of the other dedicated summer kits.

The Santiago hung in my closet for a few years with little use. You see I always viewed it as a cold season kit, and my Roadcrafter and then Transit just worked better for me in the winter months.

Then last summer here in Texas (90 days > 100F) I decided to try it out as a hot weather riding kit. Bingo, it worked! I thought it flowed air better than my old Air Flow 2 kit and the armor, materials used and coverage is hell of a lot better than most of the other summer kits.

(Oh well, I just checked and it is out of production, but I found several used for sale and some close outs.)

Archived