IGNORED

1100RT With a Two Brothers Exhaust on it...What do you think????

Pbrokaw

Guys and Gals:

I found a used two brothers low mount slip on pipe on 1100R bike. I can buy it from the dealer provided I give them my old OEM exhaust in trade. It sounded nice in the bike shop. And the weight savings by eliminating the cat will be nice.

Any of you guys running a two brothers? how is the "cockpit" noise? Decent or is it kinda drony sounding after a while?

Thanks

Perry

Afternoon Perry

In a word Two Brothers = loud.

I used to ride with a guy that had a cat eliminator & Two Brother muffler on an 1100 & we would always put he w-a-y out the rear. Not only loud & raspy but droned at hiway speed.

If you want to try one have at it but my only caution to you is DON'T sell or trade your stock system until you are sure that Two Brothers is your LONG TERM cup of tea. They (Two Brothers) get louder with age & use.

It seems to me that the dealer wins twice here.

First you pay him money to get rid of an exhaust he doesn't really want, and then you have to give him a stock exhaust which is far better and much more highly sought after so he can sell it on yet again!

As DR says, The Two Brothers must have been deaf because their exhausts are anti-social....you as a rider may tire (not as in black round american tyre) of the noise too!

Andy

Thanks Guys:

You told me what I suspected but I wanted to hear it from others opinions.

I am gonna keep the exhaust stock.

I had a chance last year to buy a used Remus for $300...I didn't have the extra cash at the time :(

It's long gone now....

Perry

i picked up a used cat eliminator and a muffler.i don't think it's a 2 bro's as it's not super loud but it's still louder then i would like.i always loved the sound my 78 r100s made.wish i could duplicate it on my rt.

I dunno, I've gotten used to my two bros. I used to think it was loud until some HD's started up around me and drowned it out. I don't usually get on it, but when I do, it's raspy. I've heard the Staintune is louder than oem and has a nice sound...

I am glad that the guy I bought my 1150RTP from included the stock exhaust. He had put on a Thrush muffler.

I didnt like the fact that the exhaust echoed throughout my helmet drowning out all else.

My old Shovelhead wasnt as loud. Then again I had stock fishtail pipes on it.

I had a 2bros exhaust on my last bike, a suzuki gladius, it sounded awesome on the v-twin, and not the loudest by a long shot.

I've ordered a Quill race exhaust for my 1150RT (with a baffle, so not too antisocial), It was a cheap clearance sale item on ebay. Cant wait to hear a boxer through a loud exhaust! :)

The stock exhaust is staying with me though, I know how much they are worth..... Plus theres talk of new legeslation in the UK that fails a bikes MOT if it's cat has been removed. Not in force yet on bikes, but it is on cars, so will happen eventually...

I always wanted a louder exhaust for my 12S too, but they are over £1000 for the end can alone!

Hi Steve,new member on here from the UK also.

I bought a Quill system for my 1100 RT before Xmas,when I spoke to Quill on the phone,they said as they were quiet if I would like to go up and collect it they would fit for free.

On a 12yr old bike thought it was too good an offer to refuse,tight nuts and all that so we fixed a date,must have been the worst day I have ever ridden weatherwise,I had to get off and walk the bike over Thelwall viaduct!!.

Anyway,great bunch of guys,set off for home(reluctantly) and wow was it loud!!A great sound but a bit too much for me so rang them and as I had to go back in the car to collect the original system which weighs about 8kgs!! asked could i get a bigger baffle.No probs and no extra charge.Having fitted that it IS still a bit loud so have ordered some packing wool for a tenner from e bay,watch this space.

I bought a Quill system for my 1100 RT

Hi Baldeagle welcome to the forum.

Just out of interest, why did you replace your OEM exhaust?

Andy

Hi Andy and thanks for the welcome,

Reason for change,where do we start.Lifetime biker living in France for 8yrs before returning to the UK.French drivers are very attuned to bikers as you may know even to the extent of driving on the verge to help you pass them.On my return to the UK I felt many drivers are still using mobiles,eating,drinking etc.Much more traffic to filter through than in France and all of these are one reason.They do at least seem to take a little notice of my presence.

Another reason as in my post the loss of 8kgs.I gave up an 1800 Goldwing to buy the beemer as now in my 60s and realising weight is an issue!

I had previously owned numerous BM's including R1100S,1150GS and had always changed for Remus system and did feel they breathed a bit easier maybe no more BHP but that was not the point nor did I feel the need for noise.Remus are outside my price range currently.I always fit a K&N air filter and more recently iridium plugs.I guess just something I do.Thanks,Brian

I purchased my R1100 RT a few years ago. I bought it used and it happened to have a 2 brothers system on it. It was, as many posters indicate, incredibly loud. I rebuilt the muffler several times trying to tame it. That only quieted it temporarily. The straight through design (with no baffles) of the 2 Bros can blows out the packing really quickly for some reason which turns just loud into socially unacceptably loud.

Later on, I bought what was supposed to be a stock system for my bike on eBay, but as it turned out it did not fit (long story that I will not go into here). I finally replaced the can on the 2 Brothers head pipe with a Delkevic aftermarket muffler that fit perfectly and has proven to function well too. The bike is not "stock quiet," but it now has a subdued throaty sound with none of the 2 Bros raspiness. The Delkevic has a removable baffle system which is going to stay in place. An added bonus was that it was priced reasonably.

Bottom line is in the future, I wouldn't buy another bike with an aftermarket exhaust unless the OEM system comes along with it.

Hi Steve,new member on here from the UK also.

I bought a Quill system for my 1100 RT before Xmas,when I spoke to Quill on the phone,they said as they were quiet if I would like to go up and collect it they would fit for free.

On a 12yr old bike thought it was too good an offer to refuse,tight nuts and all that so we fixed a date,must have been the worst day I have ever ridden weatherwise,I had to get off and walk the bike over Thelwall viaduct!!.

Anyway,great bunch of guys,set off for home(reluctantly) and wow was it loud!!A great sound but a bit too much for me so rang them and as I had to go back in the car to collect the original system which weighs about 8kgs!! asked could i get a bigger baffle.No probs and no extra charge.Having fitted that it IS still a bit loud so have ordered some packing wool for a tenner from e bay,watch this space.

Sweet! wish I'd known that.... I'm hoping the exhaust is waiting for me at home though :), should have been sent out wednesday, so should be here now.

I have no problem with loud to be honest, I miss having a loud bike, as long as it's not straight pipe loud I can live with it. I once rode home on a 250 2-stroke after the silence had fell off, and it didnt have any baffles in the main exhaust, just an expansion chamber! I think my head was ringing for a week! :(

as I've said, I'll be keeping the OEM exhaust safe and sound, never know when the MOT tests will require a cat to be present.....

As for reasons to change the OEM - sounds good, looks good, saves weight and give you an excuse to tinker with the bike! ;)

Oh yea, no exhaust bung fits the 2bros 'silencer'(that I could find), so you'll have to use a tennis ball when you wash the bike!

seriously, the hole in the end of the can is that big!

I don't love the sound of the stock 1150RT exhaust...it's really quiet and uninspiring...but I also don't like any of the aftermarket's sounds with the exception of the Staintune. That system has a great sound.

Sometimes I see a used Staintune system for a GS or an RS and wonder if it would fit on my RT. Even used they're too $$ to just test it and see.

I also like the looks of the Jama Laser, and the one youtube video I saw/heard sounded pretty good. Anyone ever do the Laser on their RT and can comment on performance?

Peter Parts

From memory: their whole pipe system is very trick and worth considering but no real benefit from just slip-ons. Two Bros are reputed to be so poor in delivering stuff that might be worth it just to own something rare (kidding, of course).

If you really know something about acoustics, you can make straight-through mufflers sort of quieter sort of. But few people, manufacturers of these slip-ons included, seem to know or care (SBK, excepted).

Ben

I have had a Laser on my 2002 RT for three years now. It is a quality exhaust and I have no complaints.I also installed a laser power chip which eliminated 95% of the surge. You have to pretty much look very hard and almost work at it to find it.

I finally replaced the can on the 2 Brothers head pipe with a Delkevic aftermarket muffler that fit perfectly and has proven to function well too. The bike is not "stock quiet," but it now has a subdued throaty sound with none of the 2 Bros raspiness. The Delkevic has a removable baffle system which is going to stay in place. An added bonus was that it was priced reasonably.

Wayne, which one did you get?

I'm 64 and love my Staintune on my 99 r1100r. It has the cat system and only is loud when you get on it. If you can get one used that would be my choice. I got lucky, came with my bike. Several of my BMW friends have tried my bike and all think the sound is great when you get on it. When riding low RPM's same as stock. Good luck.

I don't recall a model number, but it is the largest oval stainless silencer that Delkevic makes (18" long). Delkevic doesn't list a BMW fitment. I checked their website and I think the only thing that makes them "brand specific" is the link pipe which I didn't need. It isn't anything fancy (like carbon fiber) and just about the same size as the 2 Bros. It fit perfectly on the head pipe and attached with the existing springs and new bracket. I think I paid around $150 for it - which in my mind was a bargain compared to alternatives.

Well guys ,just returned from a weekend away and the pack of baffle material was waiting for me on my return.

Guess the best way to describe the stuff was it looked and felt like Santa's beard!!

Took out my new enlarged baffle and stuffed some in.Well with the baffle screwed back in,started the bike and it sounded just like the OEM !!.BUT after a few seconds it stopped and would not restart.

I can only imagine having put too much beard in had strangled the breathing? Took half out again and started and ran fine.Guess it is going to be a case of trial and error,will have chance for a ride next few day's hopefully so will tell better what the result is than in the garage.

Just installed a Quill exhaust I bought from eBay, it was only £170 and the quality is excellent!

Took a bit of fitting, or rather the old one took a bit of removing....

Much lighter and sounds great, plus it removes the cat.

It's only loud if you give it some, and is the same when cruising in high gears. It also backfires alot....

It's a bit close to the pannier at the moment, so I'm going re-adjust it next weekend.

Highly recommended bit of kit, well worth £170.

I don't recall a model number, but it is the largest oval stainless silencer that Delkevic makes (18" long). Delkevic doesn't list a BMW fitment. I checked their website and I think the only thing that makes them "brand specific" is the link pipe which I didn't need. It isn't anything fancy (like carbon fiber) and just about the same size as the 2 Bros. It fit perfectly on the head pipe and attached with the existing springs and new bracket. I think I paid around $150 for it - which in my mind was a bargain compared to alternatives.

Thanks Wayne, thats worth checking out.

Hi Steve,glad you like it,pity you could not have gone up and got it fitted.With my bike up on their lift I had visions of it falling on him the amount of hits it took to get the old system off!!

I have noticed a small amount of backfiring but not a lot,just put that down to the increased volume.

I have not put the panniers back on but will check today as setting off for a few weeks in France,Spain and Portugal next month and don't want hot pants!!So may need some adjustment.

The upcoming trip was the real reason to try and lessen the noise a bit,my tinnitus is bad enough already !!Glad you are pleased with Quill.

Archived