IGNORED

Garmin 550/660/665?

Runnor

I'm finally going to get one of these for my 2010R1200RT, and don't know which one would best suit me. They're all pricey, but where's the best place to shop? Can you find these used?

John

Slyder_Steve

John,

I've used gpscity.com with good results in the past. (No affiliation).

They do show up in the classified section of this board from time to time. There was a 550 there just a couple days ago, but it didn't come with the XM antenna.

I'm currently trying to decide between the 550 and 665.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Steve

There were two 665s NIB advertised in the ADVrider flea market. I have the 550 and love it and can't justify a change but if I didn't already have the 550, I'd upgrade to the 665 for the larger and brighter screen. Functionality is about the same for the stuff I do.

+1 to GPSCity. Good prices, and they have always replied promptly and helpfully to emailed questions about gear.

I have had a 550 for a few years, and can't see enough improvements in the 660/665 to justify the big cost of upgrading. But if I did not already have a GPS, then I would only consider buying the latest model, the 665.

Go with the 665. The memory in the 550 is not large enough to hold a North American map -- so you have to select regions or purchase a larger memory card in order to download the North American mapset. There is no such limitation with the 665 (yet anyway).

Afternoon John

The limited internal memory in the Zumo 550 is really a non issue. Just add a cheap SD card & it will hold about all you want to put in it. I have an 8 gig card in mine (I think it cost me $10.00 on sale) & my 550 has ALL of North America, Canada, some of Mexico & NE 24K Toppo (that Toppo alone is VERY large), & 2 older versions of NA covering my state & 3 surrounding states. Still have room remaining on card.

Consider some other differences between the units (in addition to the memory issue):

1. Lane Assist (for larger cities and metropolitan areas)

2. Speed Limit Signs and major highways (map view)

3. Configurable DETAIL TABS on the map view

4. An updated/faster processor

5. An internal XM antenna for NavWeather and Radio (additional monthly fee) -- XM antenna is purchased separately on the 550

If you plan to update..consider really updating to the newest device. That said, I have a 550 and haven't found a good reason to move up yet. Maybe when the 665 price drops...

Afternoon nbooth

I know the differences, not enough to entice me to trade my 550 for a 660/665.

I was just commenting on the fact that memory (map storage size is not an issue with a $10.00 SD card)

I have a friend with a 665 & he sold his 550 to get it & now wishes he didn't.

The only thing the 665 has that I might like is the lane assist but on my friends 665 that thing isn't always accurate. Me looking at the road signs is always accurate.

Another thing to remember about the Zumo 550 is it takes the GXM 30 antenna if you want XM radio. It's pricey at over $200 IIRC. To call it an antenna is not really accurate. It's actually a radio/antenna unit that's why it costs so much.The radio ID number is on the back of it. You just operate the radio using the screen on your 550. I'm pretty sure the 665 has the XM radio inside the unit and uses a more conventional antenna (cheaper). Just didn't want anyone to buy a Zumo 550 thinking all they needed was a cheap little $20 antenna to have XM. I've had a 550 with XM for about 5 years. Does everything I need so I don't have any reason to upgrade.

The 665 XM antenna is a big external hockey puck just like the 550. The 550 also has buttons. Last year my the touch screen on my 550 went belly up, the buttons saved me.

All that said, lane assist and the speed limit features are way cool. We've got a little nuvi that has both and I love it. I've been contemplating selling the 550 and move up to the 665 but have heard too many people say they wish they had kept the 550.

That's good to know, thanks. What antenna model does the 665 take?

If you plan on using Bluetooth.. i.e MP3 for music to your headset from Zumo, the 550 uses old technology. 66X series is true A2DP. (stereo). I use my iphone4 to Zumo (can see Caller ID on screen and accept/reject a call) hear voice GPS directions and music from my Zumo to my SENA SMH10 BT. Zumo 660 has faster processor and 550 is old technology. Bigger screen on 660 and thinner. But.. 550 is still a very good unit, if you want to also do Bluetooth and listen to music get the 660 (or 665-XM option, otherwise the same)Look for deals, I actually got a factory refurb 660 (same warranty as new, and have had it for almost two years now.. perfect) for $499! (that was as steal though, haven't seen it that low since.. DrivenGPS.com

Just checked prices on that site.. they want more for a refurb 660 than a new one!!! crazy.. like 650 now...

The 665 XM antenna is a big external hockey puck just like the 550. The 550 also has buttons. Last year my the touch screen on my 550 went belly up, the buttons saved me.

All that said, lane assist and the speed limit features are way cool. We've got a little nuvi that has both and I love it. I've been contemplating selling the 550 and move up to the 665 but have heard too many people say they wish they had kept the 550.

3putt, did you fix your screen? EZ PEAZY fix, digitizer replacement and/or complete screen digitizer assy.... takes 5 minutes to do. and under 30 bux to get part.

My 450 touchscreen went sour. Called Garmin. They said they no longer service the 450. But, they said they will upgrade me to a 550 for $150.00. So, I sent out my 450 yesterday. My 550 should be here in a couple weeks.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here on this string. So many good thoughts and points of view. sounds to me that if I had gotten in on the GPS thing a few years ago I would be happy with the 550. everyone who has one really likes theirs. I'll check out the drivengps site and others to see if I can find a good deal on a new or used 665. I'm leaning that way at the moment. Of course you guys know I'll be needing an auto com etc, so the whole enchalida aint't gonna be cheap. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Morning Runnor

You probably should look into a 660/665. While I personally wouldn't trade my 550 for either a 660 or 665 I will probably have to in the future as Garmin is about to (or has) quit supporting the 550 platform.

In fact no meaningful updates for the 550 in quite a while now (that tells me Garmin support is long gone)

I have been considering "upgrading" to a 665 from my 550, mainly because of the insufficient internal memory (not enough to load entire U.S. map set). Thanks to Dirtrider's post, I'll be getting an 8 GB memory card and updating my maps tomorrow. However, the question remains: Why do so many who have upgraded from the 550 to the 665 regret it and wish they hadn't?? Can anyone provide some specifics? TIA

Archived