IGNORED

In-Ear Headphone Review - Klipsch S3

eddd

As you may be aware, my favorite in-ear headphones, the Etymotic er6i, is no longer available. Looking for I replacement I went with the suggestion of a board member for Klipsch headphones. Since this was a try it and see purchase, I went with a less expensive model, the S3. Yesterday I had a chance to try them out for an extended ride. I wore them for about 450 miles when riding my RT. Here are my observations:

1. Comfort was good, but not as good as er6i with foam tips.

2. They are small enough so that the ear area of the helmet will not touch the headphones.

3. Noise isolation is good, but the er6i with foam tips are much better. I was able to listen to hours of old-time radio programs which make for a good test in that the quality of the recordings isn't always the greatest, and you really need to be able to clearly hear the dialogue. Speeds just short of a buck, with my wind screen set low were not a problem.

4. The cord really transmits noise when touched, but this was only obvious when you are putting or trying them on. Once in place under the helmet I never noticed any transmitted noise.

5. The wires seem robust, but the plug doesn't have any extra material around it. Not a big issue, you just don't have a big area to grasp with gloved fingers.

6. Sound quality was completely acceptable for the application. I'm confident the S4 model has better sound for the extra $30, but I don't know that it would be that noticable when riding.

7. About 400 miles into the day, the headphones got a bit dislodged and the sound would diminsh or cut off, not electronically, but physically. They are designed with a particular angle and need to be inserted properly. The same is true for the silicone tips. They are a bit oval, and need to be placed on the headphones using provided marks to ensure correct alignment.

8. They are available in different colors. I purchased the red ones to make them a bit easier to spot.

After my 450 miles with the Klipsch, I switched back to my er6i headphones for the 450 miles back home. The er6i with foam tips are definately superior, especially when it comes to noise isolation, but that will be a mute point if Eytomics doesn't bring the er6i back into production. The Klipsch S3 are a decent alternative, and very affordable as well.

I wanted to add that a member of the Honda ST board was given the suggestion that Etymotics new ETY Kids product might work as a replacement for the er6i since they are smaller, having been designed for children.

Ety Kids

Ety Kids review

I recently purchased the buds Beats by Dr Dre and couldn't be more happy. I ride with them daily and the sound is outstanding. The bass is actually bass and the treble is not tinny. Using some of the various plugs, you can find the fit that suits you best. I haven't had any issues with them falling out or rubbing the inside of the helmet. Excellent product and I do recommend.

My review

Richard, your post got this whole thing started when a follow up post mentioned that er6i were no longer available. The Dr Dre buds are still on my radar.

Archived