IGNORED

earbuds?

lithoman

I know this has been probably been discussed here before, but could you guys point me in the right direction for fitting my arai quantum4 helmet with a earbud setup? I would like to listen to my mp3 player when I ride.

Can it be done?

Does the helmut have to be a certain kind?

or is there one made just for helmets?

thanks cool.gif

I know this has been probably been discussed here before, but could you guys point me in the right direction for fitting my arai quantum4 helmet with a earbud setup? I would like to listen to my mp3 player when I ride.

I'm very pleased with the Etymotic ER-6i. Lots of other folks on earlier threads have also spoken highly of these. Others people like the ones made by Shure - Sorry, I don't know the model number.

The ER-6i are isolator ear buds. So, the buds act pretty much like ear plugs, but with speakers inside. This is important because you don't want to have the music volume boosted way up in order to hear it above the ambient noise - wind, engine, etc. - That's bad for your hearing.

Others on this board swear by custom fitted ear plugs with speakers built-in. I'm suppose these are the best solution, but they're pretty expensive. I only listen to music on long boring slab runs, so I'm not inclined to spring for custom jobs.

Brian

R12RT

ER-6i's thumbsup.gif

Cool, thanks guys, i'll check it out!! thumbsup.gif

Darin - The ER-6i's are $87.50 at Amazon; I think that's a pretty good deal because list price is about $150. - Brian

I read about how good the er-6is were so I bought them and thought they were terrible. I then bought the Shure's and they were also not good.

I ended up with the Sony's which were less than half the price of the others and sounded much better to me. In the end I think it's a fitting issue.

Bill

2004 R1150RT

I read about how good the er-6is were so I bought them and thought they were terrible. I then bought the Shure's and they were also not good.

I ended up with the Sony's which were less than half the price of the others and sounded much better to me. In the end I think it's a fitting issue.

Bill

2004 R1150RT

Bill, I think you are right about the fitting issue, when I went to their website they also sell different size inserts for the perfect fit. They also said it they don't fit right they won't sound right. thumbsup.gif

ER-6i's thumbsup.gif

I have to agree. I bought a set for my iPod and not because I thought they would be good for riding, I just hated the Apple earbuds--they didn't fit in my ears.

They work great, an I love the sound, very neutral and clear--if you want heavy base, these are not the headphones for you.

After using them for a while, tried them on the bike. They were great. They really isolate the sound (until I bought my R1200RT a few weeks ago, rode a cruiser with loud pipes). On the bike I could listen to music at the same volume I would put the iPod on when I was listening on the street car (trolley) to work in the morning.

You do need to get the ear buds right in your ear or you cannot hear them at all. Maybe it is from wearing those little yellow ear buds when working in factories to put myself through school years ago, but I have never had any problem putting them in.

....After using them for a while, tried them on the bike. They were great. They really isolate the sound (until I bought my R1200RT a few weeks ago, rode a cruiser with loud pipes). On the bike I could listen to music at the same volume I would put the iPod on when I was listening on the street car (trolley) to work in the morning......

This really is an important point. I have both the Sony and ER-6i earbuds. Both sound very good to me in a quiet environment, but because they do such a good job isolating outside noise, the ER-6i's perform much better when on the bike. To overcome wind and engine noise and hear music while riding with the Sony's, the volume has to be boosted too high to be comfortable. I imagine that this is detirmental to your hearing! Of course, custom molded earbuds with speakers built-in probably offer even better isolation than the ER-6i's.

Brian

R1200RT

....After using them for a while, tried them on the bike. They were great. They really isolate the sound (until I bought my R1200RT a few weeks ago, rode a cruiser with loud pipes). On the bike I could listen to music at the same volume I would put the iPod on when I was listening on the street car (trolley) to work in the morning......

This really is an important point. I have both the Sony and ER-6i earbuds. Both sound very good to me in a quiet environment, but because they do such a good job isolating outside noise, the ER-6i's perform much better when on the bike. To overcome wind and engine noise and hear music while riding with the Sony's, the volume has to be boosted too high to be comfortable. I imagine that this is detirmental to your hearing! Of course, custom molded earbuds with speakers built-in probably offer even better isolation than the ER-6i's.

Brian

R1200RT

good point Brian!

I work in a very loud environment, and have had many custom earplugs made to fit each ear from a hearing and sound company. It's our company policy to wear these when working in any production area of the shop. With that said I can relate to have important it to have your earplugs (buds) fit as perfectly as possible thumbsup.gif

I'm sure this also applies to what you just described in you last thread. Tring to isolate the sound in the earcanel

to overcome outside amient noise. cool.gif

Archived