IGNORED

Motorcycle Camping Tour

Bmr Deacon

I'm thinking of taking a motorcycle camping tour around the southwestern states this spring. I've never used GPS but am considering it for this trip. What I would like to do is not have any particular route or agenda planned, just ride until late afternoon and ask the GPS for the nearest campsite. I would presume that any GPS unit would be able to provide that information but thought perhaps I shouldn't assume.

Thanks....

There may be newer ways to do this... but what I've usually done is to get the AAA campbook, or similar, that has the street address for each campground, and then hand-type that address into the gps. It takes minimal thought.

The poi route (no pun intended) can offer some advantages, like no book to carry, but a book or paper map can be a lot easier to use. Most people use both together. Anyhow, go to poi-factory.com and look for campground lists. Some will seem more useful than others.

In my gps, it's annoying because campgrounds are listed under "lodging", and it's not intuitively obvious how to separate motels from campgrounds. So adding a, or several, poi lists can be helpful because you know the list you're looking at is nothing but campgrounds.

At poi factory, look for "combined" lists. e.g. "Nevada combined", might mean all county, state, fed, and commercial campgrounds in nevada. then just get that same poi list for the various states you plan to visit. poi factory should have info on how to load the data into your gps.

Other than that, using a gps on a bike can be a little more trouble than in a camry, but not much. Rain, mounting, vibration and audio are things that really aren't problems in a sedan. But in the end, YES: Just a little legwork, and you really should be able to wander aimlessly all day and then with minimal hassle, have it point you to the nearest haven.

Morning Bmr Deacon

One of the problems doing what you want to do by motorcycle "just ride until late afternoon and ask the GPS for the nearest campsite" is that not all camp grounds allow motorcycles. Even quiet BMW type motorcycles.

I have found the chance of NO MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED goes up with the type of campground, location, & obviously how many problems the campground has had in the past with motorcyclists.

State or Federal campgrounds don't seem to be an issue but some remote Ma & Pa types can be pretty restrictive.

You might look at www.BestBikerRoads.com and www.MotoCamopers.com for some ideas. The first link has routes from around the world but also has over 1500 routes in the US by state. The second link has info by state on various campgrounds and evaluations of same. There are other handy route guides and camping info, might goolge those with a motorcycle trip reference. Good luck.

baggerchris

I stay in campgrounds only as a last resort. I much prefer camping out in the woods/desert where I can commune with Bears; Big Cats; Snakes and Scorpians etc. It is amazing how secure you end up feeling at a backwoods campfire with a Loaded .45; full belly and a snootful of Black Jack.

dirtrider makes a good point, which reminds us that we need to be flexible out there. Campgrounds can be full, closed, etc. We can get stuck "outdoors" for hundreds of other reasons. And we are particularly vulnerable to this when travelling in unfamiliar areas. It's maybe not that big a deal if you're already travelling with camping gear, but it's worth keeping an open mind for another hour's ride to the nearest motel, or whatever's available. I always travel with gear, food and water to bivy in the boondocks, if necessary.

Also, one thing I try to do, is call ahead. Usually by noon or so, I have an idea of the day's destination. I'll call ahead and try to reserve a room or campsite. I'm always suprised that there is a convention is in town and everything's full....

Another option to keep in mind, and this is far from my favorite but serves a good purpose, is KOA. While the prices have gone up, you can get a cabin, now with A/C and heat, for a fairly nominal value, have access to showers, a pool, and laundry, as well as a place to set up a tent if so inclined. The national website has location info which might be worthwhile to have logged somewhere. Again, not my favoite option, but a very utile one, that has come in handy several times on long trips.

I love to ride till sundown without a map. But, over the years, I've learned to plan ahead. Before I leave home, I locate State and National parks on a map and head in those directions. I search the parks online to find out ahead of time which ones have showers. (not all do). I enter the addresses in my GPS before leaving home.

Plus, it's very easy to end up far from any campgrounds when your ready to stop for the night.

I usually pick up the latest Rand McNally Atlas from Wally World, in addition to my nuvi gps. I tear out the pages for the states that I will ride in and keep them in my tankbag, displaying the specific state map in the map pocket. Scenic routes are denoted as well. Also, I've found the easiest way to find campgrounds in the gps is to use the "type name" feature near where I want to end the day and just type in "camp". That pulls up all campgrounds that include "camp" in their name. However, the POI idea might be a good one too because I've found the GPS database isn't always up to date. The AAA maps are quite good as well, though larger, and AAA may have up to date campground listings.

There are a couple of campground poi files on poi-factory.com

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17657

Here is one in the southwest only

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26422

Here is a KOA poi file

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/1498

State/national parks file

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/13054

I've had pretty good luck downloading the current POI files right before a trip and finding campgrounds that way. I usually don't know where i'm going to end up and almost always am able to find something. One of our best finds was this great campground in Big Sur that we just happened to drive by.

I remember last year when we pulled in to a private campground, the owner had to come out and see what kind of bikes we had (he made us start them in fact) before he would give us a spot....

Great input and much appreciated. I can see how a bit of pre-planning might keep things in control. It never occurred to me that a campground would not allow a motorcyclist to camp and certainly making sure that room is available would be prudent.

• 3 weeks later...

I went in to poi-factory and downloaded some files to my computer and then into the Nuvi 550 GPS Unit using Garmins POI Downloader Software.

How can I verify that the files are actually in the unit?

I pick up the Rand McNally ($7) from Walmart. All the green dotted lines indicate scenic roads. All the red square dots are POIs. Between those and all the national/state parks in the SW states, you'll do fine. It's an alternative if fiddling with a GPS is not your thing. It sure is not mine.

I have never used a GPS on my motorcycle or car. I hate nanny electronics. I have used Google maps on my Android phone for the past year, but it's always to find the nearest motel or coffee shop. It feels better not to follow the blue arrow blindly.

AviP,

I have just entered into the GPS arena and would prefer to just ride my ride as well. That being said I've decided to use the GPS as a tool when I need it. Hopefully it will serve me well and I won't get tethered/stressed but served by it.

The way to check that the information loaded actually made it in to the unit and will be there when I ask for it is:

Where to? >> Extra's >> Custom POI's

The reason to use a GPS is to avoid arguing with your wife. Now, when you get lost, you blame it instead of your spouse's directions. If you want to go one way and she wants to go another, just let the GPS decide and carry the burden of being wrong. Makes for a better road trip.

-----

Urban Surfer
The reason to use a GPS is to avoid arguing with your wife. Now, when you get lost, you blame it instead of your spouse's directions. If you want to go one way and she wants to go another, just let the GPS decide and carry the burden of being wrong. Makes for a better road trip.

-----

I understand that completely. The GPS was a god send in that department.

I went in to poi-factory and downloaded some files to my computer and then into the Nuvi 550 GPS Unit using Garmins POI Downloader Software.

How can I verify that the files are actually in the unit?

Go to

Where To?

Extra's (scroll down)

Custom POI's

Select the POI name that you downloaded them under

M

Archived