IGNORED

On the hunt for manual air pump

FLrider

... the long skinny tubular type that I can fit under my seat or in a saddlebag. I already have the 12v variety but I want a lightweight manual pump.

Any experience with good quality product?

Morning Flrider

Try a local Wal-Mart or Meijers or even a bicycle shop.

I carry small tube type hand air pumps on my dirt bikes. Bought them at one of the above stores in the bicycle section.

Very light weight & easy to store but takes a lot of pumps to pump us a motorcycle tire.

There is actually an official BMW air pump that the dealer has or can get for you. Pricey, and as far as I am concerned, insane.

I have several hand pumps, and will send one to you. But. It does not fit onto the valve nicely. It takes 1000 to 2000 pumps to get your tire to 20 or more pounds. The last 500 are extremely hard pumps.

Is it worth it? No, I say.

I got, at Walmart, for $10 a 12 volt pump, small as a pack of cigarettes, works fine. Don't overheat it. Known to work forever, or at least on 2 or 3 tires, which is all I need it to do.

Other brands are Slime and there is a $100 pump, small, but not known to work more than the cheap one.

dc

Larry,

Gotta second the caution given about effort involved.

Waayy too much work for me.

If you're looking for redundancy then Co2 is an option

to inflate enough for moving to a pump if your on board pump has broken.

I've used a floor model bicycle pump on the truck tires before and swore never again...

can't imagine a handheld use.

:lurk:

Not all is always how it seems--- If you have a dirt bake without a battery those electric pumps don't work (at least I haven't ever been able to get one to work on a dirt bike with no battery).

Those Co2 cartridges do work but I just can't carry enough to make sure I can re-fill a tire that I might have missed a couple of holes in the inner tube. Get thorn in tire & the tube can end up with some holes in it you don't find on the fist repair. Plus it's very difficult to just add a couple of pounds with a Co2 every few miles if needed.

Co2's are great as a first fill after tire repair but a nice hand pump is better at adding a bit of air occasionally.

My R75/6 has a BMW hand pump built in under the seat. Many years ago I've used on (on a /7)in an emergency repair and it worked. It did take a lot of work but when you're stuck along side a deserted road, you don't have anything better to do anyway!

Max BMW lists the BMW air pump for $20.14. I have used their version in the past. It works, it just takes a LOT of pumping. I put a link here, but it won't get you right to the correct fiche sheet. If you look towarads the bottom of the R75/6 parts fiches, it is listed in the "71 Equipment Parts" section.

MAX BMW R75/6 Parts Fiche

Look for "REPAIR KIT TYRE"

Well John, I've got a battery, and I've got something better to do on the side of the road.

Play with my computer. It has a battery too.

dc

Well, the pump I carry is a Blackburn MMP-1 Mammoth Mountain, guessing 16+- inches long, and it works well. I carry it on both peddle and motor bikes. Just in case............BTW, I have never used it on the bike out in the wild, I did release the air in the garage and pumped and pumped and pumped than pumped a LOT more.

I also have the electric pump because as stated above ..I have a battery

Well, back in the 60s and 70s, the /5s and /6s had batteries but we didn't have the small electrics available like today so the hand pump was what was used in an emergency. It does indeed work but I agree that it may take away from "texting time" of David13 :rofl:

I ordered this Slime recently for my RT and at 4.75" tall and 2.75 lbs it might be small enough to pack in the tail light assembly on my RT.

Morning Tony

You can remove the plastic housing on that thing then make a little aluminum or plastic gear protector (to keep your fingers out of the drive gears). Then shorten the hose & lengthen the wires & it will store in about 2"x2" bundle.

If that one has the aluminum pump it will run & pump for a long time without issues. If it has the plastic pump you have to be a bit careful on how long you operate it under pumping load so you don't melt the pump.

What you need is THIS. Works like a regular old floor pump. Under a foot long. There's a couple others at REI that operate the same way.

Looks like a good solution. I have all sorts of electric compressors and mini-pumps, but the one I reach for in the garage or my base camp for topping off RV/car/bike/tractor/motorcycle tires is one I got at a bicycle shop - but it's too long to take on the motorcycle. Easily adds a couple of PSI even on high pressure RV tires. I just might get that one at REI, looks like it would fit easily in to the side or top cases on my RT. I rarely need to add more than 5 lbs, so I don't think that would wear me out. I've never yet had to patch and reinflate a tire.....when I've had tire failures they were severe enough that I needed a new tire.

Here's one suggestion:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/hand-air-pump/

Otherwise, if getting a bicycle pump, be sure that the pump is optimized for the lower mountain bike tire pressures.

i.e. low pressure high volume.

Also, it is likely that when using a hand pump, there will be pushing and pulling going on at the valve stem of the tire. Rubber valve stems don't tend to like much of this...

What about one of these: Engineair Power Pump ?

Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to attach the hose to the "pump" with the deep sparkplug well on a boxer.

Can't speak for how well it would work with an RT but I used to carry one of those on my Kawasaki Voyager. It worke quite well the one or two times I had to use it.

What about one of these: Engineair Power Pump ?

Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to attach the hose to the "pump" with the deep sparkplug well on a boxer.

It turns out the answer is right at the link posted: "Not recommended for Honda ST Series motorcycles or late model BMW motorcycles because the pump adapters will not fit your cylinder head"

Topeak mega morph pump This is what I carry on my road bicycle. I like it because you can use it as a floor type pump or just handle it as a standard hand pump.

The problem with bicycle pumps is volume. I pumped up my mountain bike tire once in the woods after a repair. I think it took a bit over 100 strokes . . I cannot imagine filling my rear RT tire with one. Topping off, perhaps.

Too bad someone doesn't make a more compact, quality version of these: Foot Pump

They tend to have greater volume per stroke and driven by your foot. Both a plus IMO. But, the units I have used fall apart during the first use.

I've heard this foot pump is ok: Pump

Larry,

Gotta second the caution given about effort involved.

Waayy too much work for me.

If you're looking for redundancy then Co2 is an option

to inflate enough for moving to a pump if your on board pump has broken.

I've used a floor model bicycle pump on the truck tires before and swore never again...

can't imagine a handheld use.

:lurk:

Yeah, I'm trying to find a multiple use solution.

My old R90 doesn't have a aux outlet but I can access the battery terminals pretty easy so, if I had to use a 12v pump, it would be easy enough.

However, the G650 battery is under the port side plastic. It does not have an aux outlet either. So, if I had to use a 12v pump, I'd either have to take of all the damn plastic or install a aux outlet.

Hence the desire to find a manual solution that doesn't require setting up aux power outlets.

CO2 is looking good as a good roadside emergency solution. The air pump a close second.

Next time you're in there, add pigtails to them.

Can use to recharge bike, good idea if you're riding them once in a while and you have the connection for the pump.

Voila.

:wave:

...CO2 is looking good as a good roadside emergency solution.

My experience with CO2:

I flatted 40 miles north of Tonopah, NV on US95 one day. I had 11 CO2 cartridges with me.

It wasn't enough.

After 11 catridges, none of which I could completely empty into the tire, I had 20 Lbs of pressure.

I was forty miles away from the nearest service on a 70MPH 2 lane major highway with no shoulders.

I had no other air source.

I will not put myself in that same situation again...

...CO2 is looking good as a good roadside emergency solution.

My recent experience with CO2:

Flat rear tire on two lane back road. Could not find any nails or other road debris with visual inspection. Used CO2 to fil tire, could not find air leak. Tire quickly lost air pressure. Rode home slowly on tire which was tossed and replaced.

Turned out that tire had a small cut in the carcass from a stone or other debris on the road. The tire was near end of life so tread was thin. When I got home and used my 12v air pump I was able to hear the air leaking out, but this required first getting the tire pumped up to higher pressure. Just to experiment, I plugged it and it held air well enough that I could have ridden the tire with safe pressure.

In my prior experiences, CO2 cartridges will give you about 6 PSI per 16gm tube. So, 6 or 8 cartridges should be enough. But, sometimes you have to pump up a tire in order to find the leak. Plugging will initially cause most of the air to rush out as you ream the hole. I'm now carrying a 12v pump in my bag, along with CO2.

Sage Rider's suggestion of the r3 is excellent. Mfg. by Planet Bike they are tough, durable, small, light, and.....they work. Used mine many times in Affiker for maintenance or get me back on the trail after a flat.

Definitely more work than an electric pump. No doubt about it!

But this one pumps on both in and out-strokes. Yep, dual-action, no less!

Pumps air aerobically!

Next time you're in there, add pigtails to them.

Can use to recharge bike, good idea if you're riding them once in a while and you have the connection for the pump.

Voila.

:wave:

Tim, that was a perfect suggestion. Both bikes already had battery tender pigtails and it didn't occur to me to try and configure that power supply for a 12 telescopicv receptacle.I took one of the battery tender alligator clips/pigtail connections and spliced it to a 12v receptacle. Bought a 10 dollar slime air pump at wally world and I'm all set. Thanks

Archived