IGNORED

Is there such a thing as a right angle valve stem converter?

FLrider

Next time I change my tires, I am going to install right angle valve stems BUT IN THE MEANTIME, is there some product that I can screw onto my existing stems to turn them into "right angles" ? Sometimes, trying to get a air chuck on the straight up stems is a pia....

Yes and your dealer will have it or can get it. BUT do not get tempted to leave it on after use. These things are infamous for causing valve stem failures by tearing the rubber stem if left in place at speed for long.

A google search for BMW right angle valve strems will show ou various sources for some very nice aluminum ones which is what I suggest for long term use. Cheaper chrome plated steel or brass are also available but not as elegant. Both types use the traditional Schrader valve.

Morning FLrider

You shouldn't need anything on the front of your 2009 RT as the front is already metal & exits from the side of one of a front wheel spoke. In fact that one is easy to access just as is.

On the rear there are some all metal options (installed at tire change time) but NOT if you have tire pressure sensors on your bike.

As Racer 7 said anything that "screws on" you stock rubber valve stem shouldn't be left on for high speed riding.

On my personal 1200 RT I have modified both the air hose fill end & gauge hose end to have a flatter angle so it now works just great on the stock rear valve stem. My little electronic gauge works good as is.

On my personal 1200 RT I have modified both the air hose fill end & gauge hose end to have a flatter angle so it now works just great on the stock rear valve stem. My little electronic gauge works good as is.

Do you have a photos of these modifications that show how and what you did?

Do you have a photos of these modifications that show how and what you did?

Evening Kritou

Well sort of, all I have with me for a camera right now is my Cell phone so if you will accept a poor picture I do.

AIrFill.jpg

dirtrider

Thanks for that. I will have a look around on this side of the pond for something similar and the means to fit them

Race suppliers sell some very first class inflators with CALIBRATED dial or even digital (if you can put up with a possible dead battery when you reacjh for it) gauges.

I use one from Longacre that has a short hose and ball chuck coming off a 0-60 psi dial gage inflator that has a good high speed bleed valve built in. Makes the checking a fast one step operation. About $70 US IIRC.

Even the gauges I carry in my street cars are calibrated- not a fan of the $3 asian stick gauges- not accurate. (I've been known to use my street cars as teaching stuff on track once in a while even though I've got dedicated track stuff. It opens newbies eyes to see what a street legal thing can do when used correctly though the tires of course can't pull as many g's in a turn or brake as hard as a real race tire by a pretty large margin). A bad air pressure on a street tire in track use can turn it to scrap in only a couple laps and at what a set costs no one wants to wreck a set prematurely.

There are good racing suppliers world wide and racers can't put up with wasted time when servicing stuff at the track where prep time is always in short supply from the instant qualifying starts. So these suppliers sell the good, efficient stuff. NOT talking about the shops that sell to "teenie tuners". Real race suppliers. Drag racers need to worry about inflation accuracy at l/4 psi intervals or less and roadracers talk in 1/2 lb increments.

dirtrider

Thanks for that. I will have a look around on this side of the pond for something similar and the means to fit them

Evening Kritou

Here are some M/C tested air pressure gauges that look to be available in your country.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride%20Magazine/Product%20test%20pdfs/9%20SEP08%20Pressure%20gauge%20test.pdf

The one I use in my home shop here is the "Snap-On Blue-Point". But the one I use at work for my test vehicles & dynamic handling testing is a "Longacre digital".

We are required to check the calibration of our work tire pressure gauges weekly (we have a large wall mounted precision pressure gauge calibration station) so the "Longacre digital" is checked weekly & re-calibrated when needed.

When I think of it I occasionally take my home "Blue-Point" in to check it's calibration. So far my old analog "Blue-Point" has been spot on at every calibration check. I can't say that about the "Longacre digital" as that thing is sometimes right on & other times off enough to need re-calibration.

Archived