IGNORED

Tool kit recommendations

Edjoiner

I have a 2008 RT and my wife has a 2010 G650GS. Neither came with a tool kit worthy of being called such. I could put together an acceptable tool kit on my own, but am tempted to get one of the packaged kits that I have seen advertized, such as the Roadtech kit offered by Aerostitch, or the one put together by AdvDesigns (which did seem pricy for what was included). I'd like to to get some recommendations from those on the forums that have purchased those kits, or other similar ones that they could recommend. Thanks.

markgoodrich

I have the ADVDesigns kit, and yeah, it's expensive, but it has every tool needed to do a full service, (well, no TB synch tool or feeler gauges). I like it, and carry it with me all the time. The tools are all high quality.

Firefight911

Yup, another vote for ADVDesigns. I've had their tool kits and just went down to them so they could mock up a kit for my Yamaha. Top notch kit and the owners are some very humble, friendly, great guys!

Like others mentioned, I also have the Advdesign kit for the R1200. It is a nice kit, and I would recommend it, but don't use it for your regular maintence needs as I've beat mine up pretty well.

For the road, it's a great kit.

I have the adv kit on my 08RT mostly for its small size and it can be used for most routine service work BUT you need a few more things on board that also fit in my kit.

1) Set of small needle nose and side cuts for pulling crap from punctures and cutting wire

2) Emergency repair tape- the stretchy silicone type

3) Cable ties- 4" and 8" plus some electrical wire

4) Collapsible inspection mirror and magnetic retriever are potential time savers

5) Several small LED flashlights

A small vom, GS-911, plug kit and compressor complete the stuff for diagnosis and repair. I use it for all rutine maintenace though I've got other full sets- that way I always know what I've got handy and get a reminder of any important stuff that might be missing and need to be added. So far only on the road emergency was a fpc bypass and then replace- very easy to disgnose and repair between the GS-911 and the adv kit.

I made my own from standard sized tools. Everything fit in the tail section of the RT, along with a slime pump and some spare bulbs. It is as close to my tool box as I can be on the road.

this has been discussed a number of times before. search for old threads on the topic.

That said - Two common bits of advice are to just use your travel toolkit for regular maintenance, etc. Soon it will contain everything you need for your particular bike (give or take). And most everyone's toolkit is a conglomeration of pre-assembled kit(s) and add-ons. I bought a big empty tool roll and filled it up with all the stuff I felt that I'd need. Some of it was from various kits, some was bought individually, some came from my neighbor's garage....

On flashlights, I highly recommend at least one being a LED headlamp. Their hands-free nature is much appreciated when wrenching in the dark.

I've got the Adv Designs toolkit and I'm very happy with it. It has what you need to do anything on an R1200RT (GS) and I added some needlenose pliers, plastic zip ties and feeler gauges. I also added a Nealey Tire Repair kit which is small, simple and works every time (http://www.tirerepairkit.com/), a GS 911 w bluetooth and a small mag lite that fits the clip on the inside of the radio door perfectly. It's true that the kit is expensive, but it is a nice quality piece of equipment. Happy trails.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I'll go with the AdvDesign kit since it is so complete and those who have that one have recommended it so highly.

Yeeha! Stephen

Suggestion...

Once you purchase a tool kit or put together your own, try doing your next service/maintenance period with just the tools in your kit.

You'll soon find out if you have the right stuff packed away.

Better in your drive than on the side of the road!

I recently found out I didn't have the right driver for a torx bit I needed for a roadside repair. Then remembered it was at home stuck to my electric screwdriver! Grrrrrr!

Now I don't mix and match my shop tools vs road tools!

Lesson learned.

what racer7 said really

Good Suggestion Yeeha,

I did all of the requirements for the 12,000 mile service on

my 2009 RT with the Adv Designs kit and the additions to it mentioned in my earlier post. I agree with you in that if you can't do your regular service with the kit, then you probably have the wrong tools. Don

Archived