IGNORED

2009 RT Cylinder Guards

Guest Kakugo

I have a Touratech engine bar installed. Very sturdy, very well made, feel very safe with it... however as the good season has started I am finding myself more and more often running out of ground clearance despite using RT-P footpeg feelers.

So for the good season I am thinking about removing the bar (to be reinstalled during Fall season, no pun intended) and fitting some simple cylinder guards. The OE BMW ones already cost me a packet by not doing their job so I am looking for aftermarket alternatives which would be:

Touratech "Sport" model (now on sale! :grin:)

01-610-0300-0_i_01.jpg

Touratech "Aluminum" model

01-044-0360-0_i_01.jpg

Machineart "ABS" model

4ef0ad3377ceb_enlarged.jpg

Wunderlich "Aluminum" model (which looks the same as Touratech but is 25% more expensive)

4abc743813ae2_normale.jpg

As usual opinions/comments are greatly appreciated as long as they aren't "don't lean that much, you ****".

Guest Kakugo
What are RT-P footpeg feelers?

Also called "hero blobs" by UK magazine Performance Bikes, they are those things under the footpegs that warn you are running out of ground clearance. The RT-P (police model) are about 1,5cm longer than those fit to civilian RT to account for reduced ground clearance due to crash bars fitted.

Oh, and at the moment I am leaning towards the Machineart guards... Don't know why but they look like "the real deal"... :)

Guest Kakugo

Thanks a lot Moshe.

Sadly the old Ztechnik (and SW Motech) importer has gone belly up and the new one doesn't import this engine bar.

Buying straight from the US is a very remote possibility because shipping charges and custom duties would make it almost twice as expensive as the Touratech bar I have currently fitted.

Nippy Normans sell the Machineart X-heads at 142€ plus shipping... not a bad deal me thinks.

No, not bad. I just was at Machineart yesterday in fact, trying some prototype stuff which I will be reporting about for MCN. They make good products, as does Touratech. Can't go wrong either way.

-MKL

Archived