IGNORED

PIAA Lights Legality Question

Eh2Zee

I just received the PIAA light kit for my 2004 R1150RT. The instructions in the light kit state that it is legal to only wire them to the high beam circuit.

I was planning on hardwiring them to a FUZE BLOCK ignition-switched circuit. That way they would always be on.

Will I have a problem doing this in California? Thoughts/experiences anyone?

TIAA

I have the 1100x lights mounted to the forks. They are ok as running lights in broad daylight but probably not legal.

At night they would be a menace to society if not dipped for oncoming traffic.

...Which ones did you get?

I got the PIAA 1100X lights. Mounting kit puts them under the oil cooler.

I'll also check the DMV site.

Thanks!

I have the 1100x lights mounted to the forks. They are ok as running lights in broad daylight but probably not legal.

I like the idea of the fork mounts.

How did you mount them? Custom fittings?

Also, is the wheel bounce not too much of a vibration?

I just got the bike, PO mounted the lights and I think he got the brackets from someone other than PIAA.

I only have a very limited time riding at night with them and didn't notice the bounce that much. I'm used to bigger Hellas mounted on the crash bars of my RT-P though and the higher mounting is more effective. I'm not sold on the fork mount just because they are down so low. They might get moved up by the oil cooler eventually.

I got the PIAA 1100X lights. Mounting kit puts them under the oil cooler.

I mounted a pair under the cooler. The PIAA 1100X lights use rather expensive proprietary replacement bulbs. There is a post on fabricating cheaper replacements from a year or two ago. Anyway, the bulbs tend to break off the two little contact pins on the rear, which might be worse if mounted to the forks due to more road shock. Just an educated guess.

I would mount them switched to the bright lights. You can still turn them off with the normal RT's brights on. Much more convenient when you need to dim them quickly then hunting for the PIAA switch.

I like the idea of the fork mounts.

How did you mount them? Custom fittings?

Hello Stefan, I adapted PIA brackets designed for the 650GS mounted instead to brake calipers, with chrome steel spacers and longer bolts from Ace Hardware. Because I wired them to the high beam, any vibration is not for long...

5931.jpg.db9a1d4c986141048eacc7016aae4d3a.jpg

I have had a set of 1100's mounted under the oil cooler for about 150K miles. I use the (no longer available) E-Z Mount. You can fabricate an similar set-up with a piece of sheet aluminum. I keep them aimed pretty low, but have never had a problem with Law Enforcement, nor do folks flash for me to dim on two lane roads. They are pretty much on all the time, day and night. Often times I have JUST the 1100's on during the day. I do have them set up with an Auto-Switch on the turn signal cancel button. I also junked the PIAA harness and relay and built my own. Too much wire in the PIAA set-up.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Best bet is to check your state's laws regarding vehicle lighting.

In Michigan, the maximum number of forward-facing white lights is four. Example, my car has its main headlights, and it also has optional fog lights. If I switch the high-beams on, the main headlights stay on but the fog lights automatically switch off so that I still only have four lights on.

My previous bike (R1100RT) had PIAA fog lights under the oil cooler, and PIAA 1100's above the mirrors. Fog lights ran all the time; along with the main beam, that was three lights, so no problem. If I switched to high beam, my high-mounted 1100 lights also came on, for a total of five, which was illegal. Moreover, those 1100's were mounted at an illegal height. Bottom line, I was judicious about when and where I used them, so I never caught any grief from the law.

I have the 1100s mounted under the cooler on the 2011 RT with the bracket made by PIAA for the application (they never marketed it but I got a set from them). They still hit the fender on full suspension compression. I've got a set of BMR Products' Driving Light Mounts on order and am going to move them to under the mirrors.

I have 1100X’s mounted on the fork legs. I had the local law enforcement comment that he liked my set-up. However he still gave me a speeding ticket.

I like the idea of the fork mounts. How did you mount them? Custom fittings?

The PO mounted them to the front forks just above the fender on my R12C. No prob with vibration. I run with them on all the time.

38457_458872019072_592814072_6094127_7908864_n.jpg

The PO of the RTP mounted spots above the mirrors, they light up the nite. I don't need to run them during the day, most people just pull over and let me by even when they're not on....

2019690120037253179S600x600Q85.jpg

Per FMVSS 108, motorcycles are allowed a maximum of 2 headlamps. State laws are supposed to copy federal rules, and if they don't, the Feds are working to insure they do.

Per FMVSS 108, motorcycles are allowed a maximum of 2 headlamps. State laws are supposed to copy federal rules, and if they don't, the Feds are working to insure they do.

Yes, but, the statute addresses "headlamps/tail/stop/turn/back up etc" lights.

It specifically mentions "fog lights", but, does not define them, at least I couldn't find that in the few hundred pages, (the other lights are defined).

So, 2 head lamp system defined, and fog lamps mentioned but not addressed?

Possible gray area, IMO, as the distinguish between "headlamp" and fog lamp".

Also strange given the type of detail and testing required for all other lights.

This is also the law that explains modulators and HID use.

Tim,

You are correct that fog lamps are not specifically defined, but the standard does refer to fog lamps as supplental to low beams. Autos are allowed 4 headlamp beams, which is why factory fog lamps are extinguished when the high beams are on.

Tim,

You are correct that fog lamps are not specifically defined, but the standard does refer to fog lamps as supplental to low beams. Autos are allowed 4 headlamp beams, which is why factory fog lamps are extinguished when the high beams are on.

Explains why my fog lights on the truck go off when I hit high beams even though I only have two headlights. So many smart people here.

Eh2Zee,

The 1100x lights are only intended as a driving light to operate with the high beam, and will not otherwise pass DOT or state licensing specifications. However, I mounted a set under the oil cooler on my RT and installed them using a Kriss driving light controller. The controller is wired to the high beam circuit and allows a low/high intensity to match the bike's headlamp. At low intensity the driving lights are about as bright as the headlamp's low beam, and the light from two extra low beams is certainly welcome at night.

In addition, I was already using a high beam headlight modulator when I installed the 1100x's and the driving light controller. I rarely had other drivers flashing their bright lights at me when I was only using the high beam modulator during the day, but it seemed like every other vehicle would flash their bright lights at me once I started using the 1100x's on high intensity for daytime conspicuity. It's not that the driving lights were aimed too high, but they are brighter than the high beam on the bike. The solution was to install an autoswitch that uses the turn signal cancel button to interrupt the high beam circuit.

When the autoswitch is off I have a daytime riding mode where the 1100x's stay on a low intensity setting, regardless of how the high beam circuit is switched. This allows enough light for the sake of daytime conspicuity, and the 1100x's at low intensity are still brighter than Motolights are, IMO. At night I will turn on the autoswitch, and the driving lights will match the low/high intensity of the bike's headlamp... I highly recommend this setup to get the most use out of your driving lights.

Bill's solution above sounds like it might be the ticket but I'm not sure of the ease of installation or cost so I'll throw out my set up. I have the PIAA's under the oil cooler (R12RT). I picked up a marine triple throw toggle switch and mounted it on the dash. In the middle position the PIAA's are off, to the bottom they're on all the time ala day time driving (triggered by ignition relay) and to the top they're tied to the high beam for night time use.

There is no need to use an autoswitch if you don't use a high beam modulator, so the driving light controller with the cost of an additional relay, some extra wiring, and miscellaneous parts will run you about $200.

The additional relay is used to activate the controller, and the relay built into the PIAA harness, the driving light controller, and the additional relay just fit into a small plastic electrical junction box which sits directly on top of the air filter... there is even enough clearance to mount the seat on the lowest setting. I used a rubber grommet and a foam gasket, and painted the box with liquid rubber so it would be water resistant (water can sometimes get under 11XXRT seats when riding in a downpour). I just pick the box up and move it aside if I need to access the air filter:

RelayBox.jpg

I think it took about 3-4 hours to install everything including the lights, and the most tedious part was taping everything together into a home-made harness and fastening it to the bike. Regardless, it was worth the money and effort as it drastically increased the bike's light output for both high and low beams.

Archived