IGNORED

Tire changing tool

RAMBLIN RED

RAMBLIN RED

I am thinking about buying a tire changer for my R11RT. What should I look for? Any suggestions as to brand? I saw one on e-bay for 75.00 that requires a 1 5/8" hole but I don't know if that is appropriate. I'm sure you guys can help me figure this out...

I am thinking about buying a tire changer for my R11RT. What should I look for? Any suggestions as to brand? I saw one on e-bay for 75.00 that requires a 1 5/8" hole but I don't know if that is appropriate. I'm sure you guys can help me figure this out...

The tire changer you are seeing on ebay for $75 won't work for your motorcycle tire UNLESS you can buy (find) the motorcycle attachment that accommodates the typical bike wheel. Good luck finding that.

Harbor Freight used to sell them but they don't anymore

Anyway, this is the next lowest cost alternative (unless you want to use spoons).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOTORCYCLE-TIRE-CHANGER-BEAD-BREAKER-TOOL-WHEEL-/180688583417#ht_2200wt_1189

I bought this one but for much less than $219. Just need to shop around. Made by pro hoist.

I have the HF changer and also have the motorcycle attachment. I DO NOT use the motorcycle attachment. You don't need it. I've been using the changer for 3 years now on several BMWs and several dirt bikes. I drilled holes and put threaded inserts in my garage floor so it takes me about 5 minutes to get it set up. Otherwise, I leave it in the corner so it doesn't take much room. It is not as good as the more expensive systems but with the MoJo bar I bought, it works fine for me.

RAMBLIN RED

Thanks for the response. When I read the description of the one you suggest, it said to be used with a portable tire changer, as if this is an attachment. Perhaps I didn't read it right. I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks since that's what one tire change will cost me locally. So, is this the complete changer?

I have the HF changer and one of Mitch's Mojo levers. The HF changer looks just like the Ebay ad posted above. I removed the overhead arm and just use the lower portion. I don't have the changer mounted anywhere, I just stand on the feet when working my way around the tire and it works fine for me. I have changed probably 30 tires with this setup on everything from Harleys, to dirtbikes, to BMW's, to dismounting car tires. The only downside is that the HF setup is really junk when it comes to fit and finish. The powder coat is chipping off of it, and I had to plasti-dip the jaws to keep it from marking up my wheels. The Mojo lever works great and was worth every penny I spent on it. I can't imagine trying to us the HF bar that was included with the changer.

If I was starting from scratch, and knew how much use I was going to get out of it......I would probably spend a little more and buy a NoMar setup instead. LINK

If I was starting from scratch, and knew how much use I was going to get out of it......I would probably spend a little more and buy a NoMar setup instead. LINK

+ 1 , MY HF has paid for a NoMar a long time ago

I had tires mounted at a rally by NoMar, and frankly, I could have done it myself faster using my HF bead breaker and spoons. Took them forever to figure out which blocks to use for holding the rim.

then you had an odd size rim or they did not mark the holes. I have the nomar and the harbor freight unit. I also have the mojo bar, and for the harbor frieght model Mitch's 'jaws" It is very true it takes some time to figure out were the 17" spacing is, the 18" spacing the 19" and 21" etc. But each time I get a new rim size I play with all the various combinations, 27 or maybe even 54 possible combinations in total. But once you get it down and document the position there is no comparison of the no mar to the harbor freight. even with the addition of mitchs jaws. In addition I am 6_5 so just having the bead brake at waist high vrs the harbot freight at ground level was a huge win for me. I changed many tires on the harbor freight and did a number of demos on how to use it. But I am glad I saved the money for the nomar. I cannot remember the model number but it was the middle level one.

Nothing special about the rims, F and R, on the bike. I have changed many tires with my HF unit and without it, and I really could have done it in half the time vs the Nomar. If it works for you, great, but I see nothing in my experience that makes me ever want one. This after 56 yrs of riding and changing tires. BTW, I have the MoJo bar too. The guys manning the booth are ones I have seen at several rally's so they should know what they are doing.

If I was starting from scratch, and knew how much use I was going to get out of it......I would probably spend a little more and buy a NoMar setup instead.

NoMar makes another line called CycleHill which looks good. Haven't tried it ( I'm happy with spoons and a crate. ) but it's what I will buy if I find the money some day.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/4

• 1 month later...

Archived