IGNORED

PR3's for the R1200GS

Foot

Michelin has made the PR3's to fit the R1200GS. Be aware that there are 2 different PR3's that will fit the rear tire. One is the normal PR3 and the other is the PR3 trail. The second is a much heartier tire than the standard PR3. I made the mistake of putting the standard PR3 rear on my bike. The tire only lasted 4.1K and it was toast. The compound ratio for the standard PR3 is 40% soft side, 20% medium middle, 40% soft side. The PR3 Trail ha 10% soft side, 80% medium middle, 10% soft side.

If I rode on dirt more I would be on the Tourances. I figure maybe I can save someone from making the same mistake I made.

By the way my front tire is a PR3 trail and barely looks like it has any wear at all.

Alan

Paul Mihalka

How do you recognize or what are the markings on the PR3 "trail"? I see listed two types for the GS: 150/70R-17 Z rating, and 150/70R-17 V rating. I have on my R1200GS a PR3 V tire. It has now about 5.000 miles and may be 1.000 more left before wear marks. Until now I got the best mileage out of the Michelin Anakee 2 H rated, between 8K and 9K miles - about 1.000 more that out of the Metzeler Tourance (not EXP), and I like the Anakee better.

Archived