IGNORED

HID Headlight Replacement Kits

ChrisSkor

I'm looking for ways make it easier to spot critters crouched at the side of the road waiting to commit suicide by BMW motorcycle. I'm thinking about adding HID headligh replacement light kit on my R1200RT. The BMW parts guys can get HID for Low, High, or both.

Is anyone running with HID headlight replacement lights? If so, are you running Low, High, or both?

Any disadvangates to HID headlight replacement kits?

--Chris Skor

Eyeing Chris

There are a number of riders that use the HID's in the 1200RT.

I'm sure you will get some recommendations from those that do.

Just a couple of things to watch for when getting an HID kit or conversion.

First, if you choose to use one on the high beam keep in mind they are slow to light up when turned on so your flash to pass will be about useless. You could also have a problem if you need the high beam to come on quickly in an emergency situation. Otherwise the low beams are on all the time so how quick they come on is of no issue.

The other possible problem is your 1200RT has bulb out monitors, HID's draw less power on the trigger side so you could end up with the bulb out dash warning lights staying on. So be sure any HID kit you get is BMW CanBus compatible or be prepared to rig up some resistors to trick your bulb out warning system.

I replaced both the High AND Low beams on my 06 R1200GS and it made a HUGE difference. I chose the 4300K variety because that resulted in the highest visible output.

I experienced no alarms or warnings even though the HID's were using only 35 watts as compared to the H7's 55 watts.

As for the high beam "flash", I found, and several of my riding buddies agreed with me, that when the High beam was flashed, even though it takes about 10 seconds to come to full output, that instantaneous flash was actually brighter than the original H7 and therefore VERY noticeable.

BTW...if there is an option of ballast sizes, chose the slim. They are much easier to hide in the bodywork.

I replaced both the High AND Low beams on my 06 R1200GS and it made a HUGE difference. I chose the 4300K variety because that resulted in the highest visible output.

I experienced no alarms or warnings even though the HID's were using only 35 watts as compared to the H7's 55 watts.

As for the high beam "flash", I found, and several of my riding buddies agreed with me, that when the High beam was flashed, even though it takes about 10 seconds to come to full output, that instantaneous flash was actually brighter than the original H7 and therefore VERY noticeable.

BTW...if there is an option of ballast sizes, chose the slim. They are much easier to hide in the bodywork.

Didn't see a high beam option at 1 off motorsports only low beam

Didn't see a high beam option at 1 off motorsports only low beam

I do believe that all the headlight bulbs on the Rt are all H-7's. The thing that makes them Hi or Lo is the reflector.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I just ordered Hi\Lo tripple set from my BMW shop. The kits comes with 3 bulbs (2 low, 1 high), balast, and wiring for about $200. It should be here in about 1 week. I'll let everyone know how it all turns out.

--Chris Skor

A couple of years ago I bought a set from a local car customization shop. Two complete systems suitable to convert both my wifes F650GS and my R1100RT. It was a bit of fiddling to install the ballast and bulbs, but for less the $100 I was able to equip two bikes. Low beam only...

After following the thread, I ordered the 1 Off kit from their website . Not quite as easy of an install as they make it out to be but the end result seems to work well.

There was shipping and sales tax which the coupon code helped offset. Imagine my surprise when the kit came and my UPS delivery driver asked why I paid shipping costs from an address half a block away. Doy... turns out they're located an the end of the street my office is on :dopeslap:

Funny...I had ordered a BMR Accessory shelf for my RT and I knew the guy's mailing address was less than a mile away from my house. When I called and asked if I could just come by and pick it up, he said no, that he wasn't set up to accept payment and would only ship. Soooo, almost $10 bucks to ship an item 1 miles.

SUX, but, Oh Well.......

Archived